Video Game Adaptations

The world's foremost contrarian a-holes, Judges David Johnson and Dan Mancini, have taken it upon themselves to defend the cinematically indefensible.

Video Game Adaptations

Postby Mario500 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 am

After hearing the latest edition of "Objection!" about video game adaptations, I object to the feelings of "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show" and the Super Mario Bros. movie expressed by the hosts and some of their speech enhancers (I would never say "d-bag" out loud. I never understood how that term became an insult). I did not mind the poor animation of the animated segments of "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show", as it was still very entertaining. The live-action segments are the most interesting segments of the program, especially many years after their original broadcasts. I never thought the acting during those live-action segments was bad.

The live-action Super Mario Bros. movie may not closely resemble the video games, but it was an entertaining and interesting interpretation of the elements of the Super Mario games. If there had been a sequel, it probably would have been closer to the games, as the first movie was about how the Mario Brothers discovered the Mushroom Kingdom.

There was an animated Mario movie produced in Japan years before the live-action movie. It was called "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach" and it is available in four parts with English text on YouTube. Here are some links to information about the movie from the Internet Movie Database and to the first part of the movie on YouTube.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469611
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN11vCvk ... iA&index=5
Mario500
Law Clerk

Re: Video Game Adaptations

Postby Mario500 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 pm

To clarify myself about the phrase "speech enhancers", I mean words such as variations of the word "crap", which I would never say out loud along with insults such as "d-bag".
Mario500
Law Clerk

Re: Video Game Adaptations

Postby Mach6 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:18 pm

What about the Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon? At least, they spent a few bucks on the animation for that one. ;-) I saw a few YouTube clips of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show & that is the definition of a horrible show that has gotten worse with age.

I never played the game, but I thought Silent Hill was a decent horror movie. Mortal Kombat (1995) is still my favorite & in my opinion the best video game movie. Christopher Lambert's performance is hammy in a good way & I still love the Johnny Cage/Scorpion & Liu Kang/Reptile fights.

If there is one video game that I want made into a movie it’s Metal Gear Solid. Unlike most video games, MGS has a story that is big enough for a Lord of the Rings type trilogy. The final battle between Metal Gear Rex & Snake is just made for the big screen. My main problem is who would play Snake. What actor now has the macho action movie cred of an 80’s Kurt Russell? Or the guts to have a mullet?
Mach6
City Attorney

Return to Objection!