Joel Schumacher's Good, Bad and Ugly!

Join Steve, Jon, Gabriel, and Andrew as they deconstruct a new filmmaker's body of work each and every week, as only high-falootin' Canadians can.

Joel Schumacher's Good, Bad and Ugly!

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 am

Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Joel Schumacher's Good, Bad and Ugly!

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Faaaaabulous show (sorry! :?). Here's my GBU based on what I've seen of Joel's (about half his filmography, excluding his recent work directing episodes for David Fincher's "House of Cards" on Netflix):

GOOD: FALLING DOWN. Complicated movie with eye-of-the-beholder appeal (which is great when different audiences can get something out of it) and a Michael Douglas performance for the ages. It's a little too convoluted for my taste and Duvall, while not phoning it in, seems half-as-invested into it as he should be. Joel's aesthetic eye is kept in check and there are two or three legitimate AFI-worthy scenes of great filmmaking pedigree.

BAD: VERONICA GUERIN. If Schumacher hadn't directed it this would get a lot more respect. It gets a little preachy and unbelievable but, as with "Falling Down," the less concerned with eye-catching aesthetics and more attention he focuses on the meat of his movie's characters/stories (Cate Blanchett in fine acting form also helps) the better Schumacher is at creating watchable, reasonably-adult entertaining drama. Maybe he missed his calling card with the vampire and superhero movies, you think? 8)

UGLY: BATMAN & ROBIN. Nice try with trying to defer some of the blame into "Batman Forever" which, while flawed and hammy, at least entertained with its campy awfulness. This thing is empty and hollow, inside and out, reaching the heights of 'F U' to the audience with the 'Forever' credit card gag (I remember myself covering my face in shame!). The black hole that is "Batman & Robin" was born in "Forever," but it didn't reach its uber-suckiness until it reached primo tone deafness
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 am

Two thoughts on Batman and Robin:

1. I hate the movie.

2. It's a perfectly acceptable adaptation of Silver Age Batman (which, as it turns out, is the Batman Schumacher would've encountered in the pages of comic books when he was a kid). So, in other words, while it's an awful movie, it doesn't deserve to be treated like a crime against humanity. There's no reason to assume it was born out of Schumacher's cynicism. In fact, I think he was mostly being earnest. Also: it's a more faithful adaptation of the tone and style of Batman comics of the '50s and '60s than either of Burton's movies are of Batman comics of any era. So, while Batman and Robin is ugly, I can think of much uglier Schumacher flicks to pick on . . . especially given how overwrought nerds get about B&R.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Two thoughts on Batman and Robin:

1. I hate the movie.

2. It's a perfectly acceptable adaptation of Silver Age Batman (which, as it turns out, is the Batman Schumacher would've encountered in the pages of comic books when he was a kid). So, in other words, while it's an awful movie, it doesn't deserve to be treated like a crime against humanity. There's no reason to assume it was born out of Schumacher's cynicism. In fact, I think he was mostly being earnest. Also: it's a more faithful adaptation of the tone and style of Batman comics of the '50s and '60s than either of Burton's movies are of Batman comics of any era. So, while Batman and Robin is ugly, I can think of much uglier Schumacher flicks to pick on . . . especially given how overwrought nerds get about B&R.

+1
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Return to They Came From the North