Efficacy of skip/scratch removers

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Efficacy of skip/scratch removers

Postby BenSaylor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:03 am

Does anyone on here have any of those devices (don't know the exact names of them) that are supposed to remove scratches on DVDs? I've seen them in stores but have never talked to anyone who actually has one.
BenSaylor
City Attorney

Re: Efficacy of skip/scratch removers

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:07 pm

No personal experience but my brother swears by them. He had a disc in the middle of a Babylon 5 set that he somehow "ruined" and it plays now. I wish I had more details to give but I don't.

My understanding is that there are two types. One removes layers of plastic so scratches become shallower and shallow ones are removed. This works well but can only be done once and makes the disc more fragile to the data level. I guess it's like buffing a scratch off a car.

The other uses clear wax to fill in the scratch. I've tried this on cd's and had little success. To the naked eye the disc looked better but it didn't seem to play better. I've never had an unplayable cd though, or at least one my walkman with it's anti-skip can read through.

My local blockbuster used to use one regularly that was, I think, in the second category. It was a spin design that put wax on evenly. As them and maybe at a gamestop. Places like that probably have a lot of experience with damaged discs.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:49 pm

I got one that didn't work. It pretty much ground a plastic wheel on the disc and warped it even further. That got returned.

A lot of local stores have them and charge like $2 for a repair. Unless you're descructive with your discs, you're better off giving them to somebody who has a decent unit (I don't want to pay $30ish to buy a machine to fix one disc). I just had a local video game store repair a game disc for me today and it looks great.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby molly1216 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 pm

i like the one at the store.
the guys at bull moose music do mine for free when i bring them a bad one.
it works fine.
it also lets them take trade ins that they would have normally rejected.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 am

We've got one on hand at the shop as well. JFJ Disc Repair unit or some such. Works minor miracles - and cost a couple of grand.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to DVD