Discs that freeze in one player but not another?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Discs that freeze in one player but not another?

Postby Future Man » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:53 am

Has anyone ever had a disc that freezes or pixellates in one spot with a particular player, but plays fine on another player? This happened to me most recently while watching Macbeth--it froze up in two places on my (older) Sony Dreamsystem player, but played fine through the same spots when checked on my newer Sony upconverting player in the family room. I'm trying to figure out if I have a faulty disc that I should return, or what. Thanks for any replies!
Future Man
County Attorney

Re: Discs that freeze in one player but not another?

Postby HGervais » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:58 am

You nailed it in your post. Your older player looks to have problems playing some newer discs. It probably isn't a problem with the disc, unless you think newer technology is a problem but rather the software being more advanced and the hardware not being able to keep up. Or I could be wrong.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:00 am

It happens a lot. I always have 3 or 4 players in my house for that very reason - reviewing DVDs makes you very prone to freezing on at least one of them, especially when we get discs that are not final product. And there really is no rhyme or reason, although I do notice certain companies have a tendency to have discs that will freeze up one certain player more than others. And yes, older players will freeze more often than newer ones...
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:37 pm

I have that problem sometimes.

I've got two DVD players though, so I've never been completely screwed.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
-Tom Waits
barnaclelapse
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:10 am

I have a player that certain movies just won't play on. A newer and much cheaper player however has no problems. In the past it's been said that the DVD spec changed slightly, or wasn't followed, and that's the problem. I'm not sure of that, but I know it's a pain when you have to watch a movie in the living room because your bedroom player won't do it, or vice versa.

So far the most dependable player has been in the computer here. But I don't watch movies on it that much.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to DVD