Welcome to the Board!

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Welcome to the Board!

Postby cdouglas » Sat May 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Hey folks,

So, this here would be the new board for my podcast/radio show, The Sounds and Sights of Cinema! I do hope that those who are listening to the show have been enjoying it so far. Feel free to ask questions, chat about film music, make requests for future shows, add suggestions, or whatever else you please related to the show here. Be sure to check out the current podcast if you haven't all ready, which features a grab bag of musical goodies from films new and old. Coming up this Tuesday, May 5th, the new podcast will feature music from "mildly mediocre movies", the sort of not-terribly-good but not-terribly-bad movies that make one say, "Eh, it was okay." Some rather good music, though, from a wide variety of talented composers. In keeping with the show's theme, I'll also be offering a review of new film, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I hope you'll give it a spin while you're checking out all of the latest Verdict reviews. It's a proven way to make your reading experience at least 42% more emotionally involving!

Back at ya later
cdouglas
Judge

Re: Welcome to the Board!

Postby Steve T Power » Mon May 04, 2009 6:08 am

Been meaning to tune in a number of times.

One suggestion, if it hasn't been done already - an episode highlighting the collaborations of Ridley Scott and Hans Zimmer. In my opinion they've churned out some of the finest scores of the modern age of film.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Mon May 04, 2009 6:39 am

Steve T Power wrote:Been meaning to tune in a number of times.

One suggestion, if it hasn't been done already - an episode highlighting the collaborations of Ridley Scott and Hans Zimmer. In my opinion they've churned out some of the finest scores of the modern age of film.

I may do this at some point, though I'm not sure there's quite enough to fill an entire program... Maybe a "films of Ridley Scott" show including a lot of that Zimmer stuff. Well, double-checking, they collaborated on 6 films, so I could probably work with that. All pretty interesting and diverse scores, too. Scott has been a notoriously difficult director to work with in terms of music (Jerry Goldsmith swore him off after Alien and then swore him off again after Legend). These days he's primarily collaborating with a relative newcomer named Marc Streitenfeld (who scored A Good Year, American Gangster, and Body of Lies).
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 am

cdouglas wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Been meaning to tune in a number of times.

I may do this at some point, though I'm not sure there's quite enough to fill an entire program... Maybe a "films of Ridley Scott" show including a lot of that Zimmer stuff. Well, double-checking, they collaborated on 6 films, so I could probably work with that. All pretty interesting and diverse scores, too. Scott has been a notoriously difficult director to work with in terms of music (Jerry Goldsmith swore him off after Alien and then swore him off again after Legend). These days he's primarily collaborating with a relative newcomer named Marc Streitenfeld (who scored A Good Year, American Gangster, and Body of Lies).

I love the work Scott did with Zimmer - Black Rain is an obscure one that i actually love (Masa's theme can be heard in the trailer), and Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are some of my overall faves.

Speaking of other Scott films, American Gangster and Body of Lies both blew me away in the score department, and Kingdom of Heaven (by Harry Gregson Williams) is in my top 4 film scores of all time :)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Mon May 04, 2009 7:47 am

Steve T Power wrote:I love the work Scott did with Zimmer - Black Rain is an obscure one that i actually love (Masa's theme can be heard in the trailer), and Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are some of my overall faves.

Speaking of other Scott films, American Gangster and Body of Lies both blew me away in the score department, and Kingdom of Heaven (by Harry Gregson Williams) is in my top 4 film scores of all time :)

Black Rain is certainly one of the most influential film scores of the past couple decades. It really was the first definitive appearance of that "Zimmer sound" that dominated action flicks throughout the 1990s (and continues to do so to a lesser degree today). And yeah, Kingdom of Heaven is far and away the most impressive thing I've ever heard from Gregson-Williams. My personal favorite score written for a Scott is probably Alien, but that may be because I'm partial to Goldsmith in general. Just brilliant suspense writing that works wonders within the film. In addition to the Zimmer scores you mentioned, I also liked his quirky effort for Matchstick Men (probably my favorite Scott film of the past few years, too).
cdouglas
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Mon May 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Meanwhile my favorite Ridley Scott scores are the electronic ones.
I find Vangelis' work on BLADE RUNNER and (GASP!) Tangerine Dream's work on LEGEND to be my two favorites. Perhaps because I grew up in the '80s... or maybe because I just dig electronica. I even like that LEGEND score far better than the orchestral Goldsmith track.

Just to hijack the thread for a second...
I would love to see a show on electronic scores. Tangerine Dream offered up many classic ones with RISKY BUSINESS really standing out to me.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm

BrettCullum wrote:Meanwhile my favorite Ridley Scott scores are the electronic ones.
I find Vangelis' work on BLADE RUNNER and (GASP!) Tangerine Dream's work on LEGEND to be my two favorites. Perhaps because I grew up in the '80s... or maybe because I just dig electronica. I even like that LEGEND score far better than the orchestral Goldsmith track.

Just to hijack the thread for a second...
I would love to see a show on electronic scores. Tangerine Dream offered up many classic ones with RISKY BUSINESS really standing out to me.

I'll have to do an electronic scores show sometime, too... I did one ages ago, but it was long before the show was a podcast on the site. I'm generally more traditional in terms of film scoring (give me John Williams over John Carpenter), but I do love that Blade Runner score. I like electronic scores that actually take full advantage of the electronics and use them to do new things rather than merely having the electronics attempt to mimic an orchestra (which is a trap far too many composers fell into).
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 am

Did you do one about Bernard Herrmann/ Hitchcock ?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Did you do one about Bernard Herrmann/ Hitchcock ?

I did one a while back, but I don't think I've done one since the show became a podcast here on DVD Verdict. Those are some great scores though, so it's a show idea worth repeating. Maybe the next time I do a batch of director/composer collaborations later on this year.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 am

How about non-Hitchcock Herrmann?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:

Lots of good stuff there, too. I seem to remember doing a good bit of his Harryhausen stuff a while back, but there's a lot of great Herrmann out there. I'd love to do a show highlighting some of his more obscure material... maybe some of those excellent television scores for The Twilight Zone and Have Gun, Will Travel.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri May 15, 2009 3:11 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

Lots of good stuff there, too. I seem to remember doing a good bit of his Harryhausen stuff a while back, but there's a lot of great Herrmann out there. I'd love to do a show highlighting some of his more obscure material... maybe some of those excellent television scores for The Twilight Zone and Have Gun, Will Travel.

I really love his score for Taxi Driver
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Fri May 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
cdouglas wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

I really love his score for Taxi Driver

As do I. I actually featured a piece from that on my podcast featuring music from the 1970s a while back.
cdouglas
Judge

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema