2009 TV season

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Re: 2009 TV season

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:42 pm

OK, just found a new fun show to watch, Eureka is now must see viewing. Mighty interesting, thought provoking, and insanely well written. Little bit of X-files, a tiny dose of Buffy, a dash of Heroes and oddly...just a pinch of Andy Griffith, except Barney didn't do anything for me, unlike Deputy Jo Lupo...... :lol:
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:43 pm

cdouglas wrote:What the what? I should just stop following television shows. I feel a bit like Charlie Brown... everything I watch gets ruined (or cancelled). Before this, I had been following "Pushing Daisies" and "Dirty Sexy Money". At least they're going to finish airing the season in this case. *sighs*

i basically have...i won't even try something good until after it has been renewed past 13 episodes
i am sick of the heartbreak

i don't know what it means but they already scheduled the released of the 1st season of Castle on DVD September 22, 2009. i wonder if this already a 'plan' to promote season 2, with the piggy back release of season one?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Law & Order: SVU stars holding out for more cash/backend deal; NBC threatening to continue show without the Benson or Stabler characters: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/svu-exclusive-n.html

Last week, NBC closed a deal with L&O boss Dick Wolf for an 11th season of SVU -- which, at 10.5 million viewers, remains the Peacock's No. 1 scripted show. That opened the door to a new round of negotiations with the stars, whose $350K-per-episode contracts will expire in May. Yet a source close to the matter said talks stalled when the duo -- who, like in their previous negotiations, are banding together -- attempted to go after back-end profits, a perk that's almost never granted in the L&O universe (although exceptions were made for Vincent D'Onofrio and Chris Noth).

As a result, NBC cautioned that it may be forced to replace the MVPs -- a risky move considering how integral Hargitay and Meloni are to the show. Many feel the Peacock won't make good on its threat (reps for the network, studio and the actors would not comment for this story). "I don't think in this environment, there's any chance they could re-launch the show with both of them gone," says a high-ranking exec at a rival network. "It's a horrible time to retool a show. They already have to change the time-slot, because it's not going to be airing at 10 pm next season." At the same time, a Peacock insider says, "I can't imagine either actor walking away from over $7 million a year."

it's about freaking time that John Munch had a spinoff!!
i'd watch a show with Munch and Tutuola, but i wouldn't watch if they replaced both the leads with 'other' leads.
Munch is a unique character in all of tv, he has appeared on Homicide, SVU, the Wire,Sesame street, Trial by Jury, Arrested Development even unnamed in X-files. He deserves recognition.

I think Belzer is in the Guinness book or somewhere for appearing as the same character on three different shows on three different networks in the same week.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:24 am

I was very happy with last night's episode of LIFE - which was the season finale. because of Sarah Shahi's blossoming belly, they pulled an X-files about 2 months ago and had her whisked away by the FBI and then kidnapped by what had been a minor villain, all the while keeping her character in play, which I thought was very well handled. They seem to have learned from mishandling character sabbaticals by show's past. They wrapped up some subplots yet kept some of the deeper 'mythos' going. I do hope we see it again in the fall, it was one of the few major network shows that I still watch.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am

HGervais wrote:
J.M. Vargas wrote:NBC/Direct TV on the verge of renewing "Friday Night Lights" for TWO more seasons: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/03/exclusive-frida.html :shock:

See that is an interesting model of doing business. The other note I would make is about Chuck...what I would be curious to see is how much of a DVR audience the show has. Dollhouse has had horrible actual ratings but they pick up 30% when you factor in people recording it via Tivo and the like. The Sarah Connor Chronicles picks up even more, so thankfully executives are finally looking at more than just ratings. We will see.
Yeah, I record Chuck and House, then watch them later. I'm still holding out hope that Chuck will survive, because they've been doing some great stuff this season, but really, the show was in trouble as soon as Fox moved House opposite it.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Jim_Thomas wrote:
HGervais wrote:
J.M. Vargas wrote:NBC/Direct TV on the verge of renewing "Friday Night Lights" for TWO more seasons: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/03/exclusive-frida.html :shock:

See that is an interesting model of doing business. The other note I would make is about Chuck...what I would be curious to see is how much of a DVR audience the show has. Dollhouse has had horrible actual ratings but they pick up 30% when you factor in people recording it via Tivo and the like. The Sarah Connor Chronicles picks up even more, so thankfully executives are finally looking at more than just ratings. We will see.
Yeah, I record Chuck and House, then watch them later. I'm still holding out hope that Chuck will survive, because they've been doing some great stuff this season, but really, the show was in trouble as soon as Fox moved House opposite it.

just to think that a network show can be killed by a show on Fox..is really saying something. :shock: THAT's how few viewers the 'big' three have over other networks.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:49 pm

ABC will dump its remaining unaired episodes of "Pushing Daisies," "Eli Stone" and "Dirty Sexy Money" on consecutive Satuday nights at 10PM throughout the summer starting in late May: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i4f09d44ee2455d72b6a5b8e46f0a656d.

...ABC will finish off its former Wednesday lineup at 10 p.m. on summer Saturdays, airing remaining episodes of "Pushing Daisies," "Eli Stone" and "Dirty Sexy Money." "Daisies" returns to the schedule May 30-June 13, "Stone" from June 20-July 11 and "Money" from July 18-Aug. 8.

Ironically, with "Kings" now relocated to Saturdays, there's going to be first-run quality network drama/dramedy content for the next few months on the least-watched night of television. The bad news is all these shows are dead, buried and being dumped where they can be least watched. :|
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:ABC will dump its remaining unaired episodes of "Pushing Daisies," "Eli Stone" and "Dirty Sexy Money" on consecutive Satuday nights at 10PM throughout the summer starting in late May: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i4f09d44ee2455d72b6a5b8e46f0a656d.

...ABC will finish off its former Wednesday lineup at 10 p.m. on summer Saturdays, airing remaining episodes of "Pushing Daisies," "Eli Stone" and "Dirty Sexy Money." "Daisies" returns to the schedule May 30-June 13, "Stone" from June 20-July 11 and "Money" from July 18-Aug. 8.

Ironically, with "Kings" now relocated to Saturdays, there's going to be first-run quality network drama/dramedy content for the next few months on the least-watched night of television. The bad news is all these shows are dead, buried and being dumped where they can be least watched. :|

Wow. Well, there go my Saturday nights for the next few months. Talk about a long goodbye.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Jim_Thomas » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:29 am

Dunnyman wrote:OK, just found a new fun show to watch, Eureka is now must see viewing. Mighty interesting, thought provoking, and insanely well written. Little bit of X-files, a tiny dose of Buffy, a dash of Heroes and oddly...just a pinch of Andy Griffith, except Barney didn't do anything for me, unlike Deputy Jo Lupo...... :lol:
Eureka is great fun. The first two seasons were solid, but the third--thus far--isn't quite as good.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:14 am

Finally caught up on my TV viewing!
South Park, the already infamous Queef episode and poor Kanye being dissed because he doesn't get the word's lamest joke. Truthfully, I"m stunned they haven't been sued. I was pretty sure Disney would have sicced their lawyers on them at the start of the season, and I'd not be surprised if Martha Stewart and Kelly Ripa sued over the Queef show. Absolutely side-splitting funny, but how outrageous can they get?
Samantha Who? If the network could get their sh*t together and show 4 episodes in a 4 week span instead of a 23 week span, it'd pick up a ton of viewers. Her attempt to make a 'black' friend to avoid being called a racist was one of the funnier things I've seen this season, and the deadpan Tim Russ might have some of the fewest lines on a TV show, but every one of them is pure gold.
Scrubs, how do they keep making this so good eight seasons in? The "whole gang going to the Bahamas for a wedding" two-parter had me cringing that this was going to be a travelogue fluff episode, but no can do. The characters brought all their baggage with them though, and even out of the hospital setting, it's still a moving and funny show.
Tied with another show as my best newcomer of the 08-09 season Castle hit the ground running. Fillion's something different from the usual crap on shows like this, and I was trying to think of the last detective/cop show that had a protagonist as fun as he is, and I had to go back to James Garner as Jim Rockford. Yeah, he's that good. Stana Katic's Detective Beckett is more than a match for him though, and the rest of the cast is pretty good, especially the other detectives who sheepishly keep giving Castle credit when he's right, which only bugs Beckett all the more. Please writers, let their relationship take a good long time, and don't Moonlighting it, please! If ABC plays their cards right, they could have a monster hit on their hands.
And thanks for bringing Susan Sullivan back to TV. She's always fun to watch.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:11 pm

NBC's "Kings" yanked off Saturday's schedule after only one airing due to low-even-by-Saturday-standards ratings; replaced with, what else, another "Law & Order" repeat: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=8052. With seven unaired episodes still in the can it's safe to say "Kings" is dead. :|
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Ooops, spoke too soon. NBC will burn off its remaining episodes of "Kings" from June 13 to July 25 (Saturday nights): http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/577100502/p/7.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:10 am

started watching 'the Unusuals' has a definite child of Steven Bochco feel to it.
gritty yet comedic, and they introduced the obligatory ' conspiracy' plot line.
Good actors, good dialogue, I will keep watching until they cancel it for not being 'sexy' enough for primetime.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:36 am

ABC is airing two new "Unusuals" episodes this week: the one that aired last night (after "Dancing with the Stars") pre-empting "Cupid" and a new one tonight (after a "Lost" special). Looks like ABC likes the show and wants it sampled before deciding whether to bring it back next year. Personally I can't get past Amber T. as a detective (she's way too young and pretty for NYPD, even by network TV standards) but the promos actually make me laugh. Alas, I know ABC will cancel this (they cancel everything) and Nathan Fillion's "Castle" so why bother tuning in? That's what I think. :|
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:55 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Ooops, spoke too soon. NBC will burn off its remaining episodes of "Kings" from June 13 to July 25 (Saturday nights): http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/577100502/p/7.

At least they're actually being aired... I hate to see a show as ambitious as that one come to such a quick end. It's really sad to consider that Law and Order re-runs can generate better ratings than brand new episodes of Kings.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby HGervais » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:03 pm

Cuse & Lindelof, co-creators of Lost, take 10 questions from the fans right here.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby BenSaylor » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:08 am

Anybody been watching Southland? I caught the pilot online the other day and thought it was actually pretty decent. I tuned in partly out of my interest in LA cop books/TV (Adam-12, Joseph Wambaugh's books, etc.) and partly because of the allure of a cop show that wasn't about crime scene investigation or some quirky police consultant. It's very visceral at times, and the shooting style definitely gives it a docudrama feel. Sometimes it feels a bit too Crash-y in its connecting of every character on the show, and there's some corny speechifying to boot, but I was impressed enough by what I saw to make me want to watch future episodes.
BenSaylor
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:48 am

BenSaylor wrote:Anybody been watching Southland? I caught the pilot online the other day and thought it was actually pretty decent. I tuned in partly out of my interest in LA cop books/TV (Adam-12, Joseph Wambaugh's books, etc.) and partly because of the allure of a cop show that wasn't about crime scene investigation or some quirky police consultant. It's very visceral at times, and the shooting style definitely gives it a docudrama feel. Sometimes it feels a bit too Crash-y in its connecting of every character on the show, and there's some corny speechifying to boot, but I was impressed enough by what I saw to make me want to watch future episodes.

not yet, but i have been meaning to catch it because i liked Michael Cudlitz in Band of Brothers. funny thing is that he removed the mole on his face to get the Southland role. he was in a 1st season episode of Life and when he reappeared in season 2 it was gone.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:24 am

Everyone...please do me a favor and either watch or DVR Chuck tonight.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby erich » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 am

HGervais wrote:Everyone...please do me a favor and either watch or DVR Chuck tonight.

I can't wait! After last week's episode, it seems like they've tied up all the loose ends (at one point I wondered whether it was the series finale and I just missed the memo). Hopefully tonight's episode will be a kick-ass season that could double as series finale if need be. If Chuck doesn't come back next year, I don't want to be left on a crazy cliffhanger.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:07 am

HGervais wrote:Everyone...please do me a favor and either watch or DVR Chuck tonight.

Sorry, no can do. There's a filthy toilet I have to clean by licking it whole. I will buy a $5 Footlong sandwich at Subway today though. :roll:

Here's an interview with Capt. Awesome to cheer you up a bit: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/04/chuck-awesome-nbc-finale-mcpartlin.html. 8)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Fox Network turns down President's request for hour of primetime this Wednesday; will air "Lie To Me" instead: http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/04/abc-tops-modest-sunday-sit-down-slips.html.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:28 pm

CBS moves "Harper's Island" to Saturday night after only three airings: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i5a22d4d608ec4c250fffc63e101196e7.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby LarryLockyer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:11 am

watching Castle, 24 and Supernatural ... most of the shows are done for the year
LarryLockyer
Paralegal

Postby HGervais » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Chuck vs. the ring....season finale.....now THIS is how you close out a season. On the Chuck-o-laugh-out-loud meter, this episode got a 4....which means I laughed out loud 4 times...the show averages 2 to 3, so it got one more good one out of me. Plots are resolved, everyone gets to kick some ass and a whopper of a new status quo is put in place. Please everyone....go watch Chuck on hulu or nbc.com. Give the show a chance. I keep saying it because it is true, the single most entertaining hour on TV.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:43 pm

I have read a lot of great posts about Chuck the past couple of days but probably the best is this post by TV critic & blogger Alan Sepinwall.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun May 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Well let's hope Nikki Finke's source prove correct and NBC is indeed renewing Chuck.
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon May 04, 2009 8:33 am

NBC announced Fall 2009 schedule this morning (no time slots yet though): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16394012#post16394012. No "Chuck," but "Heroes" is back! :lol:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:32 pm

they killed life.
i hate broadcast tv
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Tue May 05, 2009 12:43 pm

At this point, is it unreasonable to suggest that the vast majority of television shows (with exceptions where this wouldn't be reasonable) should make an attempt to have some sort of satisfactory conclusion at the end of each season? The way shows are getting canned these days, it just seems like there are a lot of people getting frustrated with putting an investment into a program only to be refused any sort of remotely satisfactory ending. Does this sound unreasonable?
cdouglas
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu May 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Ronald Moore's pilot for Fox, "Virtuality," will be dumped on Saturday, July 4th at 8PM: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=8081. :|
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 am

So, who watched the season finale of "House" last night and, more to the point, who was fooled by it?
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed May 13, 2009 11:40 am

Kenneth Morgan wrote:So, who watched the season finale of "House" last night and, more to the point, who was fooled by it?
I'll admit I was fooled--which is rather silly given the number of times they've pulled that stunt.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 pm

molly1216 wrote:they killed life.
i hate broadcast tv

I would have thought you hated life.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby Belmondo » Wed May 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Eric Profancik wrote:
molly1216 wrote:they killed life.
i hate broadcast tv

I would have thought you hated life.

I love life, broadcast TV, and pretty young women, but, to paraphrase The Who - I did get fooled again.
And, for me, the shows this season started weak and finished strong.
Belmondo
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat May 16, 2009 9:33 am

Whedon's Dollhouse has been renewed. One down, Chuck to go.
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat May 16, 2009 9:38 am

"Scrubs" on the verge of being renewed for 9th season with Zach Braff on board (for the first 6 episodes): http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/arts/television/16arts-SCRUBSMAYBES_BRF.html?ref=television.

BTW, wouldn't it be wild if both Nathan Fillon and Joss Whedon had their low-rated rookie series ("Castle" and "Dollhouse," respectively) renewed for a 2nd season on the same year? :mrgreen:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat May 16, 2009 10:12 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:BTW, wouldn't it be wild if both Nathan Fillon and Joss Whedon had their low-rated rookie series ("Castle" and "Dollhouse," respectively) renewed for a 2nd season on the same year? :mrgreen:

Done.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 pm

HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon May 18, 2009 11:33 am

It's official...Dollhouse is coming back for a second season. All of Fox's 2009-2010 schedule, right here.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon May 18, 2009 11:37 am

HGervais
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm

HGervais wrote:
J.M. Vargas wrote:BTW, wouldn't it be wild if both Nathan Fillon and Joss Whedon had their low-rated rookie series ("Castle" and "Dollhouse," respectively) renewed for a 2nd season on the same year? :mrgreen:

Done.

WHOA! That's rather shocking. They both escaped their respective curses? Hmmm!
Too bad they both are doing inferior projects to what they did TOGETHER...
But I will be curious to see how Wheedon keeps DOLLHOUSE rolling, and well... I will just continue to ignore CASTLE. It seems far too REMINGTON STEELE for my taste.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 am

"My Name Is Earl" (NBC) and "The Unit" (CBS) canceled: http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/cbs-cancels-the-unit.html.

NBC splits its season into two halves so shows can 'share' time slots in the Fall and Mid-season: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16489624#post16489624. "Chuck" Season 3 premieres next year after the Winter Olympics Mondays at 8PM (the "Heroes" time slot in the Fall).
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 am

And Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles is officially toast. Dammit!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue May 19, 2009 10:00 am

"Medium" was canceled by NBC (this is confirmed) but CBS has apparently scooped it up so it can pair it with "Ghost Whisperer" on Friday nights (official CBS schedule comes out tomorrow).
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue May 19, 2009 2:31 pm

CBS cancels "Without A Trace" and "11th Hour" but renews "Cold Case," "Numb3rs" and all of its sitcoms: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ic8543054a8a9084dcb505a0395a852a1.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 pm

this is a blood thirsty season.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue May 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Could have been worse, some of the shows being renewed ("Dollhouse," "Chuck," "Better Off Ted," etc.) should have been canceled based solely on their lousy numbers. Add The CW's "Privileged" and the never-got-off-the-ground "Gossip Girl" 80's spin-off to the carnage pile: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Tue May 19, 2009 3:45 pm

All I really cared about was Chuck...that I'm only getting a 13 episode season does not kill me either as in this second season it felt like they were losing steam building up to the season's final arc. Still, really awesome show and one a lot more people should be checking up.
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed May 20, 2009 11:47 am

^^^ Good for YOU!!!! :mrgreen:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

PreviousNext

Return to Television