New Podcast - Filibuster Crossover!

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

New Podcast - Filibuster Crossover!

Postby cdouglas » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:39 am

Hey folks,

The latest podcast is up and running! Things are a little different this week, as "Friday Filibuster" hosts David Johnson and Mac McEntire stopped by the lavish, state-of-the-art "Sounds and Sights of Cinema" studio to chat about film music. Favorite scores, favorite composers, controversy, Willow... it's all here. We also featured a few personal favorite film music selections on the program...

Selected by Dave:
Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer
Willow - James Horner

Selected by Mac:
Twin Peaks - Angelo Badalamenti
Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman

Selected by Clark:
Papillion - Jerry Goldsmith

Also, you'll hear my review of Harold Ramis' worst film to date, Year One.

So click away and give a listen to the latest edition of the Sounds and Sights of Cinema. A man cannot live by bread alone... he also needs this podcast!
cdouglas
Judge

Re: New Podcast - Filibuster Crossover!

Postby BrettCullum » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:47 am

I think I am in Mac's camp! Those two are a couple of my favorites as well. Always nice to see the crossover. Now if you can just get the VIEW FROM THE COUCH couple over... you'll be in business!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:00 am

Nice choices guys! I don't know if it's just me but there seemed to be some audio problems with Zimmer's and Elfman's tracks.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Carl Wonders » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:07 am

Great idea for the crossover. Personally, I would love for more of these round-table type discussions of film music in addition to the selections! I hadn't heard Crimson Tide in a while, and I was struck by how well Zimmer worked in "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" (the Naval hymn) into the score. Great stuff! As far as my 2 cents about a couple of the topics discussed:

Favorite score from a bad movie: Without question, it's CutThroat Island by John Debney. The movie is an absolute train wreck, but the score is (to my ears) exactly how a pirate movie should be scored. Clark, if any of David Arnold's rejected score exists, I would LOVE to hear some of it. Not only am I a big fan of Arnold's earlier work (back when he was scoring for Roland Emmerich), but Debney's score sounds a LOT like Arnold's style.

Thoughts on classic film scores: Personally, I think the majority of classic scores are best served by the many compilation albums out there. Most of those scores had great themes, but they tended to repeat themselves a lot (I'm looking at you, John Barry). One composer who I definitely enjoy though is Miklos Rozsa. His scores for Ben-Hur, Ivanhoe, and Time After Time (one of his last, I think) are ones I tend to listen to frequently.

Other favorite composers: outside the usual suspects, I'm going to throw Trevor Jones' name out there. In particular, I'm a big fan of his scores for The Dark Crystal and Merlin (the TV miniseries with Sam Neill). I'm also really enjoy Bruce Broughton's score for Young Sherlock Holmes.

Hmm..I think that's enough opining for one post....keep up the great work, Clark!
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Postby cdouglas » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I think I am in Mac's camp! Those two are a couple of my favorites as well. Always nice to see the crossover. Now if you can just get the VIEW FROM THE COUCH couple over... you'll be in business!

Though I hesitate to promote something in advance of actually getting it set up, I certainly anticipate future crossover events. Kent and I talked about briefly a while back; perhaps in the near future we'll talk about it again. Also, Steve and I have been hoping to do a Blast Processing crossover too, so... we'll see.

Nice choices guys! I don't know if it's just me but there seemed to be some audio problems with Zimmer's and Elfman's tracks.

Let's see... I don't really hear any notable audio problems on those tracks, so perhaps it's just your speakers? Or perhaps it's (unfair dig warning) Zimmer's dated synthesizers that you're hearing...

Favorite score from a bad movie: Without question, it's CutThroat Island by John Debney. The movie is an absolute train wreck, but the score is (to my ears) exactly how a pirate movie should be scored. Clark, if any of David Arnold's rejected score exists, I would LOVE to hear some of it. Not only am I a big fan of Arnold's earlier work (back when he was scoring for Roland Emmerich), but Debney's score sounds a LOT like Arnold's style.

I honestly don't think David Arnold's rejected score is floating around out there, though I could be wrong. But yeah, Debney's work is far and away the greatest thing he has ever done. Too bad he rarely hits that level of magnificence anymore.

Other favorite composers: outside the usual suspects, I'm going to throw Trevor Jones' name out there. In particular, I'm a big fan of his scores for The Dark Crystal and Merlin (the TV miniseries with Sam Neill). I'm also really enjoy Bruce Broughton's score for Young Sherlock Holmes.

I like Trevor Jones when he's on his game. Unfortunately, Jones is a composer who often just seems to lose interest halfway through his scores, as if he's just sick of it and would rather move on to the next thing. Still, a talented guy. Not doing much work these days, though...
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:52 pm

James Newton Howard - Lady in the Water
Ennio Morricone - The Mission
John Barry - Dances with Wolves
Kevin
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm

I'd just like to say:

Willow is one of the first scores i ever purchased on CD...
It still spins regularly in my player.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mhansen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 pm

Brilliant music, horrible movie...
Forbidden Zone
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema