Plasma TV?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Plasma TV?

Postby mortensenraica » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:54 am

Hello all.

I am looking for a plasma or LCD tv, 50" (127cm), 2009 model. All salesman recommended Panasonic 50" - THP50V10A.
As I am prepare to spend AU$3000, is Panasonic the best option I have.
Thanks
mortensenraica
Law Clerk

Re: Plasma TV?

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:34 pm

We don't do hardware reviews here. Audioholics.com and avsforum.com should give you a fair bit of info, though.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 pm

If you are just looking for personal experience, I don't put much stock in the name brands. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Panasonic.

The only real way to know is to look at them side by side.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Jim is right. The site does not do hardware reviews but I can tell you Panasonic make the best plasmas on the market. They have solved the burn-in problem as well as the burn-out problem. For the money they are also a pretty serious value.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:06 pm

I have a 50" Philips Plasma I got around February of 2006. I love it. Never had any problems, and it still looks great.
And my new Blu-Ray player completes the package. So I recommend Philips if you can get one at your price level.
I hear good things about Panasonic as well.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:40 pm

I heard that the Panasonic is probably the best plasma after Pioneer. That said, the companies seem to be getting out of plasma. I don't know why unless it's cost. LCD keeps getter better and cheaper every year. Does plasma? Some googling would benefit I would wager.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:13 pm

I think LCD is taking over because they can do so much more with so much less. Plasma seems to have hit it's pinnacle and LCD is just getting better everyday. Right now I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a good LCD and a Plasma TV.

If you want a good tv, and you mentioned paying a high price for it, get an LCD with selective dimming technology. It has different names from different companies but in short it's when the back light is made of many small white leds and it has the ability to turn off ones in black sections of the screen. It's actually quite hard to find, but it's a nice touch. I keep my backlight almost off as modern LCDs are pretty bright on their own, but you don't have the contrast that you can get with a selective dimming model.

My TV is a cheapo LCD and I'm tickled pink with it. It's a 32 inch that only cost 300 dollars. It makes black by darkening the entire picture for dark scenes. That works surprisingly well actually as light scenes should naturally have lighter black, due to ambient lighting on the set. There are times when I can tell it's twitching back and forth, but mostly it's perfect.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Rockl3y » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 pm

mortensenraica wrote:Hello all.

I am looking for a plasma or LCD tv, 50" (127cm), 2009 model. All salesman recommended Panasonic 50" - THP50V10A.
As I am prepare to spend AU$3000, is Panasonic the best option I have.
Thanks

It is one of the best brands of Plasma TV. You made a good choice in selecting Panasonic. It has good reviews over the Internet because of the high quality picture that looks stunning. What model did you buy?
Rockl3y
Law Clerk

Postby mavrach » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 am

Hai.

Halp.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Return to Television