Even More "Red Dwarf" ?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Even More "Red Dwarf" ?

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 pm

Since "Back To Earth" did really well for the U.K. channel "Dave", it looks like there will be more Red Dwarf coming soon.
At the recent Red Dwarf convention, "Dimension Jump 10", it was announced that new scripts were commisioned and actors Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) & Chris Barrie (Arnold Rimmer) were "still signing" for the new episodes.
Craig Charles and Danny-John Jules are also expected to return as Dave Lister and the Cat.
The series co-creator Doug Naylor will write and should be shot sometime next year. Nothing on the ships computer "Holly" returning as of yet.
"Back To Earth" has it's flaws, but I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to a new series!
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Re: Even More "Red Dwarf" ?

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 pm

They have two hollies to choose from, so perhaps. Norman was quoted as saying no yet again.

Kochanski is an unknown.

Here's my thought, Naylor needs to let someone else direct and let them have some say. He has ideas that he can't pull off, and is shows. The dancing robot scene in season 8 for example. A good director would have insisted on cutting it down to a manageable size. Season 9 had similar issues like the extended "writing scene" where Lister takes over the typewriter and controls his shipmates. That was a good gag at a third the length.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:43 am

Agreed.

Still, I wouldn't say no to more.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
-Tom Waits
barnaclelapse
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Between the final series & Back to Earth I think Red Dwarf should just be put to rest. Naylor just isn't capable of making Red Dwarf as good on his own as he was with Grant.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I liked "Back To Earth". I agree that some of the gags could have been more funny if tightened up.
I first watched it one episode at a time but enjoyed it much better when I watched all three episodes back to back.
Hopefully Naylor will listen to the fans criticism of "Back To Earth" and this will be a nice ending the the series.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Return to Television