V

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

V

Postby Future Man » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:21 am

Anyone else excited about this? The promo I've seen makes it look like a must-watch. The visuals are amazing. I never saw the 1980s series of the same name (I assume this is a remake?).
Future Man
County Attorney

Re: V

Postby Bryan Pope » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah, this one's definitely on my radar, and I *did* see the original miniseries and its followup.

No guinea pigs will be harmed in the making of this one, I hope.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Here's the first 8 minutes:

http://abc.go.com/shows/v/?cid=09_abcpromo_v_left

Go to "More Video" tab, and then click the link: "A First Look At V!"
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:16 am

No Marc Singer? No sale!

I kid. I'm actually REALLY looking forward to this - it's really got a theatrical quality to it - looks more like an event film than a TV show - hats off to the production team for that.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:29 am

I wasn't much of a fan of Battlestar Galactica, but hats off to the show for delivering us from the cold grip of ironic camp. It probably spared us the spectacle of a V reboot full of cheesy bright red coveralls and bad lizard masks. Based on the trailers and such, I'm definitely tuning in for at least the pilot.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm

The trailers definitely look promising. Like Dan, I'll be there for the pilot at the very least. Plus, how can one say no to the combination of Morena Baccarin and Elizabeth Mitchell?
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Considering the extended hiatus ABC gave it, I think that bodes ill for the show.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby Burson_Fouch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Eric Profancik wrote:Considering the extended hiatus ABC gave it, I think that bodes ill for the show.

I'm thinking just the opposite. Putting it on for the November sweeps and making it a showcase that will come back in time for the Feb. 2010 sweeps period shows that the ABC suits have alot of confidence in the product.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 pm

ABC has been promoting it pretty heavily, so that's a positive sign, I would think.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:09 am

So what'd you guys think? I thought the premiere episode was gripping and set some good storylines in motion. And Scott Wolf's a better actor than I usually give him credit for.

My one qualm is that I liked how the original miniseries had a lot more buildup before the visitors showed themselves. Seems like those spaceships hovered over the cities FOREVER before anyone actually came out of them. This time it all happened before the opening credits.

Still, I'll definitely be back next week.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Mach6 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:11 am

I barely saw or remember the original V so I can't compare it. I thought it was a good premiere episode too, but I don't like the "rushed" nature of the show. In one episode, they've already shown the Visitors, the resistance against the Visitors, humans who may not be humans, "mole/traitor" Visitors, & etc.,etc. Even 24 doesn't go through these many plotlines so quickly. I also didn't buy the unanimous applause that happened after the Visitors' "We come in peace speech". I know some people would be relieved that these are friendly ET's, but wouldn't there be a good percent of people that would be scared to death of or untrustworthy of the Visitors in those crowds.

The special effects are solid & Baccarin was great as the Visitor Leader. She can be creepy, intellectual, cold-blooded, & charismatic at the same time. I'll watch next week & hopefully they'll slowdown the pace.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:18 pm

I'll third the opinion that too much happened too fast. I'll keep watching it.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I really liked it. But it certainly did a lot to typify what the differences are from the '80s to now...

1) The pace... yes, it was breakneck! The '80s miniseries was painfully slow and developed characters more than plots. This one barely established a character before they were in the crash bam boom!
2) The metaphors... back in the '80s it was the Holocaust. Now it is terrorism and financial uncertainty coupled with UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE. I had to laugh! All the hot topics. I am surprised the Visitors in this remake did not legalize gay marriage while they were at it. But apparently looks like they are gunning for interspecies mating... so there we go.
3) The aliens themselves... back in the '80s they spoke with a strange echo effect on their voices, and wore dorky jumpsuits. They had nerdy types like Willie who were very normal. Now today the aliens all could star in a WB or a CW show, and speak normally. All are fashion models except for the "creepy" old guy who was obviously made before the grand plan. They are all currently fashion models.
4) In the '80s the spaceships were kinda dull. Now they double as high def TVs and have entire cities in them. Ah, the magic of CGI!!!!
5) The gender of all the characters are flipped... well... except the alien leader...

I like it! I think it is a fun ride even with the fast as heck pacing. What a relief! It's a good reimagining, and I will be back for all four episodes before the dang thing goes on hiatus... bad move ABC. They just like to kill any hits they have!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 pm

I really liked the second episode. Seems like this one is just fine. The pace has not slowed any, but it seems more well thought out than I had expected. Fun! Just pure sci fi fun in my book. Nothing earth-shattering... just lizards in fake skin and Elizabeth Mitchell grimacing and lying her way through it all.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Future Man » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:58 am

It finally dawned on me where I’d seen the lead female alien before-duh! The cropped hair threw me. I like how you don’t know how pervasive the alien infiltration is. Gives it a suspensful, paranoia-inducing vibe. Needs more cowbell I mean lizard glimpses.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 am

It's enjoyable so far; but how do we good from warp speed episode one where we get the aliens, the reptile reveal, and the start of the resistance to aft thruster episode two where basically nothing happens?
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 am

The fast and furious pace followed by a less eventful episode reminds me of the formula for LOST. Seems this is the new way to handle serial shows. But I thought they made some good strides in the plot, and managed to develop the characters better. And I have to say the photography is very cool... almost surreal. Everything is blown out quite a bit.

I think they are smart too not to have too much lizard action yet. Keep it creepy and unknown.
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Dave Ryan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm

My favorite part so far: they immediately confronted the "why don't they just wipe us out?" question, which always has to be asked in these Rube Goldberg-esque alien conquest stories....

They haven't ANSWERED it, mind you -- but they had the cojones to directly address it. That's a good thing.
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:22 pm

I am beginning to wonder why the aliens are striving to be so damn media and public relations savvy. Seems like a terribly shallow part of our culture to worry about.
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Mach6 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Dave Ryan wrote:My favorite part so far: they immediately confronted the "why don't they just wipe us out?" question, which always has to be asked in these Rube Goldberg-esque alien conquest stories....

They haven't ANSWERED it, mind you -- but they had the cojones to directly address it. That's a good thing.

The best answer to the "why don't they just wipe us out?" question I've seen is the one provided in Signs. The aliens want to repopulate the planet &/or use all its resources, but if they do an all out assault, they fear we might use our nukes. Even if our "primitive" nukes have no effect on their ships or shields, they will devasate the Earth's resources & make it uninhabitable for them. To me, that makes the most sense for a more covert invasion. The V's may also go the Matrix route & need humans for some type of energy or fuel.

BrettCullum wrote:I am beginning to wonder why the aliens are striving to be so damn media and public relations savvy. Seems like a terribly shallow part of our culture to worry about.

In the Season Finale, it will be revealed that the V's are not alien lizards, they are those whiny, emo, insecure, spoiled brats from the GOD AWFUL MTV MY Sweet 16 show.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Mach6 wrote:In the Season Finale, it will be revealed that the V's are not alien lizards, they are those whiny, emo, insecure, spoiled brats from the GOD AWFUL MTV MY Sweet 16 show.

I knew there'd be a twist!
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Dave Ryan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:09 am

Mach6 wrote:The best answer to the "why don't they just wipe us out?" question I've seen is the one provided in Signs. The aliens want to repopulate the planet &/or use all its resources, but if they do an all out assault, they fear we might use our nukes. Even if our "primitive" nukes have no effect on their ships or shields, they will devasate the Earth's resources & make it uninhabitable for them. To me, that makes the most sense for a more covert invasion. The V's may also go the Matrix route & need humans for some type of energy or fuel.

The latter explanation makes more sense -- except they're trying to kill us, which would sort of negate our usefulness as a renewable energy source.

The former explanation makes no sense at all in the context of "V". These are aliens who have faster than light travel. Even using a conservative estimate, there should be dozens of other earth-like planets within a few years' journey for them. So given the choice between (a) undertaking an elaborate 30-or-so-year plan to infiltrate the humans and ultimately destroy them from in order to eliminate them "cleanly" from the Earth, and (b) going to the next usable planet, they pick (a)?

If so, I think the Vs are run worse than Dunder-Mifflin....
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 am

If you are not caught up to last night's FALL FINALE...

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I know in the original "V" we were food. I'm not sure we know what's happening with these new lizard invaders yet. We simply know they want us all to be injected with something they are masking as a vitamin shot or flu vaccine and a whole armada of V battleships are poised just beyond our solar system ready to swoop in. Other than that they have been poker faced about what is happening.

I'll be back in front of my screen in March 2010, but that does seem like an awfully long time to wait. The ratings were good, but they also led in to DANCING WITH THE STARS. Without the Mormon powers of Donny Osmond I wonder how they will fare in the ratings.
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Mach6 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Dave Ryan wrote:If so, I think the Vs are run worse than Dunder-Mifflin....

The same people who run the Vs are the same ones who ran CTU LA in 24 for all those seasons. You think an alien species with this advanced technology would have a better a HR/Personnel Dept. to weed out all those traitors in their ranks. I liked the final twist with the armada & I wonder how the resistance will "defeat" the Vs without it turning into a worldwide firefight (which we would surely lose). I'm also looking forward to what they do with the priest. Will he survive & will he put down the bible & go medieval on the Vs' butts. I agree with Brett, that March 2010 is an awfully long time to wait.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Future Man » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:07 am

I quit after the second episode. For me there are too many unopened box sets laying aorund my house for me to commit to what I found to be less than must-see.
Future Man
County Attorney

Return to Television