Best TV show of the Decade

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Best TV show of the Decade

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:52 pm

I don't watch regular TV but I catch stuff on reruns and on DVD / internet. Since everyone is making lists, what would you consider the best show of the decade?
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Re: Best TV show of the Decade

Postby HGervais » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:02 pm

It's hard to argue with The Wire. Farscape is right up there as well. Battlestar Galactica. Arrested Development. Gilmore Girls. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The Sopranos. Deadwood. Curb Your Enthusiasm. 30 Rock. I could go on.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:05 am

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER was actually the best television show of the '90s. Hard to believe, but it is pretty old stuff now. Television seemed to splinter in the 00s. It was dominated by reality reality reality and then some more of the same. I liked many shows that came along though, and I did sit up and take notice of quite a few.

LOST gets my vote for best of the decade. It had a cinematic quality and a true inventive feel that made it feel unique.
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA continued the trend of hour long smart shows, and deserves the nod as well.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby mavrach » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 am

My picks are mostly already mentioned: Buffy, Farscape, Battlestar Gallactica. Does the current Doctor Who production count as being from this past decade?

I want to throw in Arrested Development too, but I enjoyed the above shows more, and it's seriously apples and oranges with this one.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Arrested Development or Curb Your Enthusiasm would probably top my list, but since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll go ahead and throw in a nomination for Dexter.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Stubblecat » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:50 pm

It was cancelled after a season and a half, and appeared about 2 years before the world was ready for it, but Andy Richter Controls The Universe was brilliant.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Stubblecat
City Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 am

Compelling TV, Battlestar Galactica. It took a cheesy 70's sci-fi premise, and made it exceptional, with one of the best casts on TV.
Sentimental Nod, Pushing Daisies. Created a whole other technicolor world, populated it with some rather unique characters, and delivered the tastiest slice of pie on TV. Pun intended.
Hands Down, Simply The Best, Monk. No other show has moved me the way this one did. Eight perfect seasons, laughs, tears and cheers. Goodbye Adrian, you and the crew will be missed.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Though I haven't gotten around to watching The Wire or Farscapeyet (pretty huge omissions, I know), I would probably have to pick The Sopranos as the finest television series of the decade. Also worthy of very high praise...

Arrested Development
Deadwood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Weeds
Chappelle's Show
Six Feet Under
30 Rock
Battlestar Galactica
Lost
The Office (British and American versions, though I prefer the British)
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm not much for TV, so there were really only a handful of shows i devoted any time to in the last decade.

The winnah (by a huge margin for me):

Band of Brothers - masterful storytelling that manages to accomplish in 10 episodes what few series have in that many seasons.

I also have to give runner-up props to Battlestar Galactica, and Deadwood could have been the big one if David Milch had the discipline to write just one more season to clue all of the threads up, as Season 3, while a conclusion of sorts, was anything but a worthy end.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Doctor Who
Dexter
Torchwood: Children of Earth

I known there are offers, but brain not functioning well right now
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 am

West Wing and The Shield both deserve mention on this list.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:20 pm

I'll toss a few out there. Not to say they are the best, but these have definitely provided me with the most entertainment:

Firefly
Samurai Champloo
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Wonderfalls
Clone High
Ergo Proxy
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Dexter (Showtime) - premise execution and flawless lead performance (by Michael C. Hall, who has yet to prove he can be this good on another movie/TV role and yes, I'm including "Six Feet Under") carry this show past some glaring holes (some weak acting by the supporting cast) and misfires (Season 3). Still awesome, and Season 4 has brought the show's mojo back with a vengeance. Season 5 will be hawt! 8)

Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi Channel) - ending throws things way up in the air when looking back at earlier seasons, but overall a potent mix of sci-fi setting and socio-political commentary brought to life by the best acting ensemble on TV (screw "Lost" :o :D).

Big Love (HBO) - who knew Mormonism could be as much fun to watch as "The Godfather" crime saga? And who knew Bill Paxton could deliver a credible performance as a patriarch wearing way too many hats (father, prophet, husband, perspective-husband-of-fourth-wife boyfriend, businessman, etc.) while keeping multiple family emergencies from exploding. Throw in strong supporting performances from Tripplehorn, Dean Stanton, Sevigny, etc. and this remains one of pay cable's must underrated but compelling dramas.

Weeds (Showtime) - outrageous-for-the-sake-of-being-outrageous comedies that constantly seek to top themselves could have resulted in comedy death. Jenji Kohan and her troupe of game actors haven't fallen flat on their face yet though, and have earned my attention enough to keep me guessing where Nancy & Co. will end up at the end of their 'crime spree.' Kevin Nealon as Doug remains the funniest supporting character in a comedy since... poof... fooooooreeeeeever man! :lol:

The Sopranos (HBO) - coasted on its last few seasons, but damn if there wasn't some quality acting (by everybody... seriously, not a weak acting link in the bunch including Robert Iler's AJ whom we were supposed to hate) and tight scripting (by anal-to-a-fault David Chase) that kept the tension and fear of what was going to happen more fun than what actually happened. This show rewards repeat viewing with so many subtle jokes and homages an encylopedia is needed to keep them all in mind. An instant classic.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby BrettCullum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:16 am

I want to nominate THE BIGGEST LOSER...

And that show with Paris Hilton, THE SIMPLE LIFE!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Return to Television