Steven Seagal Lawman

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Steven Seagal Lawman

Postby Mach6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:16 pm

I didn’t have much interest in this show until I heard Judge Rubino gave a glowing review of it in 1 of the Filibuster podcasts. I decided to give it a try & I’m glad I did. This has replaced Hell’s Kitchen as my favorite guilty pleasure.

About 66% of the show is basically Cops with Steven Seagal. Seagal & his fellow officers mostly (on the night shift) arresting erratic &/or drunk drivers or citizens with unregistered guns in their cars. The other 34% involves Seagal’s off duty activities like jazz concerts (?!) or how he trains his attack dogs. Seagal is still as bloated as ever & I must say the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office doesn’t have the strictest physical requirements for their officers.

I guess I get a kick out of it because it’s so surreal to see an action movie hero like Seagal in a cop uniform. The best parts are how the alleged criminals or victims react to the presence of Seagal. Their responses made me laugh harder than most so-called comedies do. The other highlight is when Seagal’s Spider Sense is triggered when danger’s around. The Seagal Sense is achieved by zooming in on Seagal’s face, next a flash of light & a heartbeat sound is played (dum-dum, dum-dum), & then the camera will zoom in on whatever the danger is, & finally the camera zooms back to Seagal’s face. They use this cheesy effect about 3-4 times per show & I still crack up every time. Seagal comes off more likeable (especially the episode where he visits a kids’ hospital) than he does in most of his movies. It also seems like his cop buddies enjoy being on the camera as well.

I know this isn’t high brow TV, but like I said, it’s a guilty pleasure. Anyone else seen it on A&E or On-Demand?
Mach6
City Attorney

Re: Steven Seagal Lawman

Postby Eric Profancik » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 am

I watched it for weeks and just killed it on my DVR. I found it boring, repetitive, and not especially exciting. I don't care about Steve doing nice things out of the uniform, I care about enforcing the law. And every time something happened, the guy would get away, the guy didn't do anything, the car chase was lame. Just a boring show IMHO>
Eric Profancik
Judge

Return to Television