Hey Clark! How about Clint Mansell?

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Hey Clark! How about Clint Mansell?

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:24 am

Like the topic says,

I've always been a "sort of" fan of Mansell's work, but recently i've found myself really taken by some stuff i didn't even realize was his. The "Dead Reckoning" cue from Smokin' Aces, or the awesome score from Sahara come to mind.

Given any thought to an episode devoted to Clint Mansell?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Hey Clark! How about Clint Mansell?

Postby cdouglas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Like the topic says,

I've always been a "sort of" fan of Mansell's work, but recently i've found myself really taken by some stuff i didn't even realize was his. The "Dead Reckoning" cue from Smokin' Aces, or the awesome score from Sahara come to mind.

Consider it done. Mansell is hit-and-miss with me, but the stuff you mention is terrific and portions of scores like The Fountain and Requiem for a Dream are quite resonant, too. There's certainly enough fine material to assemble an enjoyable hour of music, I should think.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:12 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Like the topic says,

Consider it done. Mansell is hit-and-miss with me, but the stuff you mention is terrific and portions of scores like The Fountain and Requiem for a Dream are quite resonant, too. There's certainly enough fine material to assemble an enjoyable hour of music, I should think.

Requiem is a little too sparse for me, but i LOVE The Fountain - that's a CD that comes off my shelf fairly often :)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Mach6 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 am

What about Mansell's work for The Wrestler? Especially at the end, during the Ram/Ayatollah rematch. The score is tragic, depressing, & inspirational at the same time. I still can't get that final tune out of my head when The Ram climbs the top rope for maybe the last time.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Mach6 wrote:What about Mansell's work for The Wrestler? Especially at the end, during the Ram/Ayatollah rematch. The score is tragic, depressing, & inspirational at the same time. I still can't get that final tune out of my head when The Ram climbs the top rope for maybe the last time.

Awesome stuff all around.

I actually have the score album from Smokin' Aces spinning right now.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 pm

I've been asking for some Mansell ever since the electronic film scores thread! I've been a big fan of his work with Arronofsky ever since PI but I don't really know the rest of his work.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:I've been asking for some Mansell ever since the electronic film scores thread! I've been a big fan of his work with Arronofsky ever since PI but I don't really know the rest of his work.

I'd probably consider The Fountain his best work, but Sahara is freakin awesome as well, and as far as single cues (and not complete packages) go, Dead Reckoning is probably my favorite piece by him.
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema