favorite horror films of the past 10 years.

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

favorite horror films of the past 10 years.

Postby molly1216 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 pm

the other thread inspired this one..
it was a hard decision to choose between the few i did like, so i choose not to choose.

mine:
The Descent (2005)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
28 Days Later (2002)
Below (2002)
Pitch Black (2000)
30 Days of Night (2007)
Black Sheep (2006/I)
From Hell (2001)
Drag me to Hell (2009)

I know the Ring pictures are good and scary but not stuff i want to rewatch...

is Shaun of the Dead (2004) technically a horror film or a comedy with zombies.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: favorite horror films of the past 10 years.

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat May 29, 2010 4:35 pm

A few more :
The Mist (2007)
The Devil's Rejects (2005)
The Manson Family (2003)
The Others (2001)
Sunshine (2007) ( the last act is straight-up horror)
A Tale Of Two Sisters (2003)
Uzumaki (2000)

And for 15 years I gave to add Lord Of Illusions
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat May 29, 2010 4:43 pm

[●REC], as previously mentioned. Unusually effective use of the more often gimmicky camcorder perspective. The final moments are painfully tense.
House of the Devil was a model of slow-build, retro, mood horror.
Pontypool. As much dark comedy as horror, with a killer premise. Bruce MacDonald turns the single location into an asset, using sound and performance to build a terrifying, yet still funny, tone.
Ginger Snaps. Witty script that only occasionally slips into too-cute Whedonism, making a great comparison between growing up and becoming a monster.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:A few more :.
Sunshine (2007) ( the last act is straight-up horror)

if we are calling Sunshine horror, then i will add it to my list...and i forgot the Others..not much horror in the horror..but the suspense and chills are through the roof.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby BenShultz » Sat May 29, 2010 5:51 pm

The Mist
Drag Me to Hell
Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead remake
Land of the Dead
The Strangers
House of the Devil
Bug
The Descent
The Devil's Backbone
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 pm

BenShultz wrote:The Devil's Backbone

Hell Yes!

I also have to add Shadow Of The Vampire. As well as Behind The Mask : The Rise Of Leslie Vernon

Does From Dusk 'Til Dawn count ? Or is it more of an action flick?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Sat May 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Does BubbaHoTep fit?
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sat May 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:

Hell Yes!

Double Hell Yes!

Gabriel Girard wrote:Does From Dusk 'Til Dawn count ? Or is it more of an action flick?

The question is moot. It's more than ten years old.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby molly1216 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:13 am

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

Hell Yes!

Double Hell Yes!
Triple hell yes!

and Bubba Ho Tep rocks!
since the list is staggeringly short, toss From Dusk Till Dawn on the pyre..it's got blood and vampires that's pretty horrific don't know what else it would have to be.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun May 30, 2010 8:28 am

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Does From Dusk 'Til Dawn count ? Or is it more of an action flick?

I was still thinking fifteen years...

I'm one of the few here who actually enjoyed Planet Terror. District 9 is another one of those genre-mixers...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:I'm one of the few here who actually enjoyed Planet Terror.

I love Planet Terror. It's like simultaneous homage to George A. Romero and '80-era John Carpenter. Plus, the cast is magnificent. What's not to love?

It's too bad for the the whole Grindhouse experiment that Death Proof sucks donkeys.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned: The Mist, [●REC], The Devil's Rejects, Shaun of the Dead (if we're counting that one). I'll throw out The Strangers. I don't think it would actually make my list of the best of the last decade (I've only seen it once), but it certainly had moments that creeped me out big-time.

Oh, and Trick 'r Treat. What a thoroughly fun little flick, perfect for Halloween viewing.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sun May 30, 2010 9:45 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:I'm one of the few here who actually enjoyed Planet Terror.

I love Planet Terror. It's like simultaneous homage to George A. Romero and '80-era John Carpenter. Plus, the cast is magnificent. What's not to love?

It's too bad for the the whole Grindhouse experiment that Death Proof sucks donkeys.

Word.

Man-Ring wrote:I'll throw out The Strangers. I don't think it would actually make my list of the best of the last decade (I've only seen it once), but it certainly had moments that creeped me out big-time.

It's actually a pretty good flick until that twenty-minute stretch where it's nothing but shots of Liv Tyler running back and forth from the house to the barn.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby molly1216 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:

I was still thinking fifteen years...

Yeah lets try to look at it as the Horror of the Oughts...
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Sun May 30, 2010 3:09 pm

FROM HELL
DRAG ME TO HELL
THE OTHERS
THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE

Those are the ones that I saw that I think are special....THE OTHERS, I thought was especially clever with it's "twist"
I did not see every horror film that has come out, so that short four-movie list is what really stood out for me.
I'm tempted to add SLEEPY HOLLOW for atmosphere alone...

As for the WORST that I've seen in the past ten years.....Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN 2, which i note because I don't think I've seen anything even close to approaching how bad that was...
This is from a guy who will see every Halloween movie that comes out since I'm a fan of the series..
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 am

definitely Devil's Backbone..that creeped the hell out of me..

i would have said Sleepy Hollow but i didn't want to be laughed at....i get the feeling that people who dislike it do so outloud, those who actually like it for what it is, are kinda reserved about it.
I hadn't actually seen enough of the Hammer Films he was trying to evoke when I saw Sleepy Hollow the 1st time..only have I saw some of them, did i appreciate Sleepy Hollow all the more...and I do think it's a nice cozy gothic horror story for a halloween night.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon May 31, 2010 9:44 am

molly1216 wrote:definitely Devil's Backbone..that creeped the hell out of me..

i would have said Sleepy Hollow but i didn't want to be laughed at....i get the feeling that people who dislike it do so outloud, those who actually like it for what it is, are kinda reserved about it.
I hadn't actually seen enough of the Hammer Films he was trying to evoke when I saw Sleepy Hollow the 1st time..only have I saw some of them, did i appreciate Sleepy Hollow all the more...and I do think it's a nice cozy gothic horror story for a halloween night.

I freakin love Sleepy Hollow. It's about the only film in Burton's body of work i can say that about.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
molly1216 wrote:i would have said Sleepy Hollow but i didn't want to be laughed at....i get the feeling that people who dislike it do so outloud, those who actually like it for what it is, are kinda reserved about it.

I freakin love Sleepy Hollow. It's about the only film in Burton's body of work i can say that about.

Then you can come stand by me Steven...cause I can ALSO say it's the only live action Burton film I own. (the other is nightmare before christmas - it's got Oogie Boogie) but wait wait wait...we need to take it all back...Sleepy Hollow is from 1999. Damn..perhaps we need a favorite horror films from the 90s thread..yep we need that.

btw
I hate myself for skipping
The Call of Cthulhu! love it, love it..can't wait for their next movie.
and the Host! How could i have forgotten the Host. one my top ten fave MONSTER movies.
Nochnoy dozor - Nightwatch - I thought punk horror was lost in the 80s somewhere.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon May 31, 2010 1:02 pm

molly1216 wrote:I hate myself for skipping The Call of Cthulhu! love it, love it..can't wait for their next movie.

It's taking forever! That teaser has had me stoked for two years! You would think that with the proliferation of low-budget horror out there, and with an established product, they would have an easier time finding funding (I assume that's the holdup), but I suppose if it doesn't fall into the slasher/torture/inspired-by-real-events-haunting categories, it's tough to sell. Damn talkies and their Technicolor gimmickry!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Mon May 31, 2010 2:51 pm

molly1216 wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
molly1216 wrote:i would have said Sleepy Hollow but i didn't want to be laughed at....i get the feeling that people who dislike it do so outloud, those who actually like it for what it is, are kinda reserved about it.

Then you can come stand by me Steven...cause I can ALSO say it's the only live action Burton film I own. (the other is nightmare before christmas - it's got Oogie Boogie) but wait wait wait...we need to take it all back...Sleepy Hollow is from 1999. Damn..perhaps we need a favorite horror films from the 90s thread..yep we need that.

btw
I hate myself for skipping
The Call of Cthulhu! love it, love it..can't wait for their next movie.
and the Host! How could i have forgotten the Host. one my top ten fave MONSTER movies.
Nochnoy dozor - Nightwatch - I thought punk horror was lost in the 80s somewhere.

Awww I wasn't even thinking 1999 when I "almost" put Sleepy Hollow on my list.....wow....and it is also the only Burton film I own besides BATMAN.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Absolutely agree with From Hell. Great film.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Paranormal Activity though. I expected to hate it, but I found it actually scared me, which is a damn rare thing these days as I'm a pretty jaded movie geek now ;)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Movies