Marvel Films Discussion Thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Marvel Films Discussion Thread

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:27 am

How about we isolate all discussions of Marvel Universe films such as Iron Man, Thor, The Avengers, the Spider-Man reboot and Captain America here?
Speaking of the original Avenger, the other day JoBlo ran a story about how he was spending some time in the production office for Captain America and saw the final costume designs that Chris Evan will wear in the film. He was prevented from showing those shots but he wrote about them, here. Well, some how AICN got ahold of the same pictures and ran them and they are here. JoBlo has come out and confirmed these drawings as the real deal. Captain America starts shooting in a couple of months, so outside of some tweaks I have got to think this is pretty much what we will see.
I have got to say, me likie. Retro looking but still having a modern feel. And not unlike the kind of thing Bryan Singer went with on the X-Men costumes but at the same time it is still very much Captain America.

"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Marvel Films Discussion Thread

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 am

Drew at HitFix asks the question, does Peter Parker have to be a white guy?
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm

HGervais wrote:I have got to say, me likie. Retro looking but still having a modern feel. And not unlike the kind of thing Bryan Singer went with on the X-Men costumes but at the same time it is still very much Captain America.

It leaves me feeling a little...meh. Mostly because it doesn't look retro enough for my eyes. It's a fine enough get-up for an Avengers flick set in the modern-day, but nothing about the shoulders or the pattern on the pants says 1940s to me. It's not horrible, but I was hoping for something closer to the Ultimates version of Cap -- more retro military. The whole suit (even the cloth under-armor) looks like it's made out of artificial fabrics and polymers that weren't invented until the '50s and '60s.

At least they got the boots, gloves, and shield right.

Here's hoping it looks better (read: more rugged) on Evans and in real lighting.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 pm

I think it's just "okay"..... a little busy in spots like the shoulders but hey there are twenty versions of every popular super hero's costume so I guess it's okay...just doesn't come close enough to to looking as much like the character as i thought it would....
I like the boots and attempt to look retro/modern but I think the wings on Cap's helmet are an integral part of his look and are missed i this rendering......no matter how silly some may perceive the wings to be, it's part of who he is visually.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm loving it. As for the complaint about the look of the fabrics, well, remember: we are in the Marvel universe, and Howard Stark has a role. Odds are that can be explained away as "experiemental fabric."
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:59 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:I'm loving it. As for the complaint about the look of the fabrics, well, remember: we are in the Marvel universe, and Howard Stark has a role. Odds are that can be explained away as "experiemental fabric."

Yeah, but why bother when they could just as easily make a badass (and more military looking) suit out of period fabrics and leather? Using Howard Stark as an excuse to design something anachronistic in its modernness is sort of lame.

But these are just paintings. I'm hoping the shoulder pads on the actual costume look like leather and not molded foam.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:45 pm

tucco wrote: I like the boots and attempt to look retro/modern but I think the wings on Cap's helmet are an integral part of his look and are missed i this rendering......no matter how silly some may perceive the wings to be, it's part of who he is visually.

I'll grant you the wings are very much a part of Cap's look but it also the thing I most expected to get pushed off. What's iconic on the page would probably look pretty silly in action and on the big screen.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:I'm loving it. As for the complaint about the look of the fabrics, well, remember: we are in the Marvel universe, and Howard Stark has a role. Odds are that can be explained away as "experiemental fabric."

Yeah, but why bother when they could just as easily make a badass (and more military looking) suit out of period fabrics and leather? Using Howard Stark as an excuse to design something anachronistic in its modernness is sort of lame.

But these are just paintings. I'm hoping the shoulder pads on the actual costume look like leather and not molded foam.

It all depends on how it is executed. While a badass military style of suit can be done, if the narrative justification is, say, the US has been investing in fabrics/material that will be more protective than standard military uniform, etc, and Cap is the test pilot for such a suit, I can see the justification ofthe anachronistic suit being acceptable.

But, as you point out, these are just paintings: for all we know, the final suit will be a more battered outfit with more of a military style look.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:51 pm

he looks like he fell of a motocross bike

i am about up to here with all the white super heroes,i would have been infinitely more interested in a film version of Isaiah Bradley or Jon Stewart. are all the guys making these films and going to see them white? i'd pay to see a black green lantern picture...as long as it was staring someone hot..

(yes i know GL = DC i was making a point)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 am

There was an amazing Cap mini-series from the early 90's (The Adventures of Captain America)that effectively retold his origin and featured one hell of a bad-assed costume design. I'd have liked to see them go that route (complete with scale mail shirt).

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:49 am

More final design work, this time for Thor and come via the Collider web site:

and just to compare, here is what the current costume design of Thor looks like in the comics,

HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Thor on Thor cage match.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Steve T Power wrote:There was an amazing Cap mini-series from the early 90's (The Adventures of Captain America)that effectively retold his origin and featured one hell of a bad-assed costume design. I'd have liked to see them go that route (complete with scale mail shirt).

I loved and still own that mini-series.......I loved the costume and scale mail is a part of his look they should definitely keep. THAT looks like Captain America...I even dig the original shield they use in that rendering......but realize they would never use it in the movie unless it is an early design that they boot in favor of the iconic round shield.
All I would do is make the colors deeper of course....and leatherize the whole look in general....
Seeing that image makes me dislike the movie image even more.........to damn busy in spots...
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:29 pm

tucco wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:There was an amazing Cap mini-series from the early 90's (The Adventures of Captain America)that effectively retold his origin and featured one hell of a bad-assed costume design. I'd have liked to see them go that route (complete with scale mail shirt).

I loved and still own that mini-series.......I loved the costume and scale mail is a part of his look they should definitely keep. THAT looks like Captain America...I even dig the original shield they use in that rendering......but realize they would never use it in the movie unless it is an early design that they boot in favor of the iconic round shield.
All I would do is make the colors deeper of course....and leatherize the whole look in general....
Seeing that image makes me dislike the movie image even more.........to damn busy in spots...

Still the best Cap story i've read, personally speaking.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:12 pm

From what I ahve read we will indeed see the older, funnier looking shield version of Cap early in the film. Either way, can't wait.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:48 pm

And the cast for Captain America keeps getting more & more interesting as it is announced that Stanley Tucci has joined the film.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 am

Some news on the X-Men: First Class front: Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day) is in talks to play Emma Frost. If they want to put her in the White Queen's outfit, I will have no complaints.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:50 am

That, i would probably pay to see. Or at least look up ion Google images.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Jim_Thomas wrote:Some news on the X-Men: First Class front: Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day) is in talks to play Emma Frost. If they want to put her in the White Queen's outfit, I will have no complaints.

They got my ten bucks...or 38.50 depending on when the flick finally gets done....Stanley Tucci? This is getting good...
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Looks like both X-Men: First Class and Spider-Man 4 are circling around Inglorious Basterds! actor, Michael Fassbender. X-Men wants his to play the young Magneto while the Spider-Man reboot wants him to plays the movie's bad guy which is supposed to be The Lizard.
HGervais
Judge

Postby tucco » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:25 am

HGervais wrote:Looks like both X-Men: First Class and Spider-Man 4 are circling around Inglorious Basterds! actor, Michael Fassbender. X-Men wants his to play the young Magneto while the Spider-Man reboot wants him to plays the movie's bad guy which is supposed to be The Lizard.

Well Jesus has risen.....finally The Lizard? My word, they had Dr.Connors in all the Spidey films, leading me to believe he would finally be a villain in SPIDERMAN 3.
But of course, that didn't happen.....if The Lizard is in the reboot I will be thrilled....it's about goddamn time.
I always wondered why they never got around to it....They should have had him in part 3...they wasted two movies developing a relationship between Connors and Peter Parker that never really gelled enough, so I said "alright already, bring The Lizard on and get it over with".
Of course the Venom crap prevailed which I always knew would suck ( not only because I was never a fan, I just thought it wouldn't fit)
The Lizard is one of the few truly top tier Spidey villains they have not used yet...even though this will be a new franchise, the villains that they HAVE already used cannot be reused since they are still too fresh in the memory....
In my mind you've got Electro,Mysterio, The Kingpin , The Vulture and The Lizard left as far as truly iconic Spidey villains go.
Last edited by tucco on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:27 am

sorry, double post....accident
tucco
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 am

I wonder.....should they bother with an origin story or just get right into the action?
I vote ditch the origin.....the one from the previous franchise will do..... it will just weigh the reboot down....I know a reboot seems to demand a new origin but I really think they could do without it in this case.....either it will be too short, or take up too much of the movie....
maybe some flashbacks in the right places could cover it? (meaning NEW flashbacks of course, not from the previous franchise)
tucco
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:57 am

HGervais
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm

HGervais wrote:From what I ahve read we will indeed see the older, funnier looking shield version of Cap early in the film. Either way, can't wait.

Figured that would be the case, considering the round shield has popped up in both Iron Man 1 and 2.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:21 am

"Well placed souces" say Nathan Fillion is in late stage talks to come on board the Avengers movie as Hank Pym while Eva Longoria is supposed to be cast as Janet van Dyke aka The Wasp. Nathan Fillion in a Avengers movie directed by Joss Whedon? Who would have thunk it?
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:30 am

HGervais wrote:"Well placed souces" say Nathan Fillion is in late stage talks to come on board the Avengers movie as Hank Pym while Eva Longoria is supposed to be cast as Janet van Dyke aka The Wasp. Nathan Fillion in a Avengers movie directed by Joss Whedon? Who would have thunk it?

If this is true, I wonder what this does to the Edgar Wright planned ANT MAN film? Unless he is consulting on AVENGERS in some manner.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:16 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:
HGervais wrote:"Well placed souces" say Nathan Fillion is in late stage talks to come on board the Avengers movie as Hank Pym while Eva Longoria is supposed to be cast as Janet van Dyke aka The Wasp. Nathan Fillion in a Avengers movie directed by Joss Whedon? Who would have thunk it?

If this is true, I wonder what this does to the Edgar Wright planned ANT MAN film? Unless he is consulting on AVENGERS in some manner.

Well, there are a couple of versions of Ant-Man so it doesn't have to be Hank Pym. That said, if I'm Edgar Wright I'm kind of thinking I want Nathan Fillion in anything I do.
HGervais
Judge

Postby azul017 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:43 pm

HGervais wrote:Looks like both X-Men: First Class and Spider-Man 4 are circling around Inglorious Basterds! actor, Michael Fassbender. X-Men wants his to play the young Magneto while the Spider-Man reboot wants him to plays the movie's bad guy which is supposed to be The Lizard.

Harold, it's established that Sony is doing an entire reboot of the Spider-Man series rather than plowing ahead with a third sequel. New director, new script, new cast... everything.

On the other hand, considering the Longoria/Fillion rumors -- it'll be the second time they share screentime together since Desperate Housewives.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:07 pm

azul017 wrote:Harold, it's established that Sony is doing an entire reboot of the Spider-Man series rather than plowing ahead with a third sequel. New director, new script, new cast... everything.

oh puhleese....can't we at least let them get some dust on them before we call for an effing reboot?
hollyweird is really just a bunch of lazy bastards
j
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 pm

azul017 wrote:

Harold, it's established that Sony is doing an entire reboot of the Spider-Man series rather than plowing ahead with a third sequel. New director, new script, new cast... everything.

Yes I know that. Your point? Both projects want him, or wanted him since he signed up for X-Men: First Class.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm

X-Men: First Class has its Emma Frost, actress Alice Eve. Image

And Greg Horn painting Marvel's White Queen. Image
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Stop me if you have heard this before but Captain America got a little more interesting with the news of Tommy Lee Jones joining the cast.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Tommy Lee Jones in a comic book movie? This can be nothing but gold!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:Tommy Lee Jones in a comic book movie? This can be nothing but gold!

I'm sure it'll be fine...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:Tommy Lee Jones in a comic book movie? This can be nothing but gold!

Yeah, but from all reports this will be a good comic book movie, and I'm reasonably sure they will have orders to shoot Joel Schumacher on sight at the set.
This whole Captain America/Avengers thing is getting good. Nathan Fillion? Tommy Lee Jones? Stanley Tucci? Shoot, now all we need are Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and we're rocking! Any casting suggestions for those three?
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Dunnyman wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

Yeah, but from all reports this will be a good comic book movie, and I'm reasonably sure they will have orders to shoot Joel Schumacher on sight at the set.
This whole Captain America/Avengers thing is getting good. Nathan Fillion? Tommy Lee Jones? Stanley Tucci? Shoot, now all we need are Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and we're rocking! Any casting suggestions for those three?

Word on the street is that Jeremy Renner is in talks to play Hawkeye.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Not quite Marvel film, but in zipping through the channels, I spotted The Black Panther on BET (not a network I watch on a regular basis) and wondered if it was indeed T'Challa, the mighty King of Wakanda, and it's actually pretty excellent as in the first episode his father has a run-in with a young and inexperienced Captain America. Looking solid so far through two episodes.

Jeremy Renner to be Hawkeye? This thing is getting awesome-er by the minute. Now if they can just talk Anne Hathaway into being the Scarlet Witch, I'd be one happy and totally geeked fanboy all over again.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:05 am

Dunnyman wrote:Jeremy Renner to be Hawkeye? This thing is getting awesome-er by the minute. Now if they can just talk Christina Hendricks into being the Scarlet Witch, I'd be one happy and totally geeked fanboy all over again.

Fixed.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:15 am

I'm just waiting for Thor to bomb like the Luftwaffe so they can scale back on all the super-hero nonsense. Short films of little known characters playing ahead of blockbusters? Come on, man! Far be it for me to deny comic-book fans of their super-hero adaptations, but Marvel is getting outright batshit insane. I'm sure there are 6 people out there who want to see a live action "Moon Knight" feature, and i have no idea how they can possibly think "The Avengers" will work.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but call me the dissident if you must.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:00 am

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:Jeremy Renner to be Hawkeye? This thing is getting awesome-er by the minute. Now if they can just talk Christina Hendricks into being the Scarlet Witch, I'd be one happy and totally geeked fanboy all over again.

Fixed.

My head just exploded at the thought of that. No male could withstand that hotness.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 am

Dunnyman wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:

Fixed.

My head just exploded at the thought of that. No male could withstand that hotness.

Not even Steve.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 am

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:

Fixed.

Not even Steve.

Redheads? My only weakness...

Man! She's got big... eyes!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:

Fixed.

Not even Steve.

She has eyes? Didn't notice.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Not even Steve.

She has eyes? Didn't notice.

yeah...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 pm

ANDREW GARFIELD (The Other Boleyn Girl, The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus, Boy A) IS YOUR NEW SPIDER-MAN: http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/spider-mans-choice-of-andrew-garfield-latest-in-several-unpredictable-turns-to-reawaken-tired-franchise/

'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Kevin Bacon to (potentially) play the villain for "X-Men: First Class": http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/kevin-bacon-in-talks-for-x-men-first-class-baddie/#more-52876. Nicholas Hoult (Beast), Caleb Landry Jones (Banshee), and Lucas Till (Havoc) have also joined the mutants movie.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Is Norton out as Bruce Banner/Hulk from Marvel's upcoming "Avengers" movie? Mixed signals point to an unknown actor playing the Hulk's human alter ego: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-edward-norton-is-not-the-hulk-in-the-avengers-but-he-d-like-to-be?m=c. ComicCon will tell the tale in a few days.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Is Norton out as Bruce Banner/Hulk from Marvel's upcoming "Avengers" movie? Mixed signals point to an unknown actor playing the Hulk's human alter ego: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-edward-norton-is-not-the-hulk-in-the-avengers-but-he-d-like-to-be?m=c. ComicCon will tell the tale in a few days.

The drama has escalated as Marvel's Kevin Feige released a statement essentially saying they want someone who's easier to work with and more collaborative. Norton's agent has sent out an angry response suggesting that Norton was perfectly willing to be a good collaborator and was looking forward to participating in The Avengers. Personally, I'm very disappointed that Norton won't be returning. On top of the Howard/Cheadle debacle, Marvel's doing an awful job thus far in terms of cast continuity.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:15 pm

cdouglas wrote:
J.M. Vargas wrote:Is Norton out as Bruce Banner/Hulk from Marvel's upcoming "Avengers" movie? Mixed signals point to an unknown actor playing the Hulk's human alter ego: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-edward-norton-is-not-the-hulk-in-the-avengers-but-he-d-like-to-be?m=c. ComicCon will tell the tale in a few days.

The drama has escalated as Marvel's Kevin Feige released a statement essentially saying they want someone who's easier to work with and more collaborative. Norton's agent has sent out an angry response suggesting that Norton was perfectly willing to be a good collaborator and was looking forward to participating in The Avengers. Personally, I'm very disappointed that Norton won't be returning. On top of the Howard/Cheadle debacle, Marvel's doing an awful job thus far in terms of cast continuity.

I point the finger of blame at Marvel. They screwed Norton big time on "Incredible Hulk" promising him an eventual extended cut on DVD/Blu-Ray. The fact that he was still wanting to work on Avengers, says he cares about the source material. Marvel is going to screw this up big time if they continually interfere. I remember there were rumors that they were going to try and low-ball Downey Jr. and he threatened to walk. The same thing happened with Jackson as Nick Fury; they tried to get him to work for nothing, he was ready to walk and they signed him for a nice 10-film appearance deal.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Next

Return to Movies