Star Wars Blu-Coming to our Galaxy Fall 2011

The wonderful world of high-def

Star Wars Blu-Coming to our Galaxy Fall 2011

Postby hoytereden » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:20 am

According to the Digital Bits the long awaited trilogy will be released on Blu-ray late next year. Check it out.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: Star Wars Blu-Coming to our Galaxy Fall 2011

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 am

This is hardly the most original thing to say, I know, but if it's not the original versions in a proper transfer, I'm not buying.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:13 pm

As you'd expect, there's lots more reportage on the official Star Wars website, and also here at the L.A. Times and elsewhere. In fact, the news has predictably set portions of the Interwebs ablaze. Obviously, there's little official word as to what specifically will be included in the set other that what's hinted at in the text above. (Rest assured, as more information becomes available from official sources, we'll let you know.) However, Lucas did apparently confirm that the set WILL finally include significant deleted footage from the Original Trilogy, recently dusted off the shelves in the Lucasfilm Archives. Not only that, Lucas actually previewed one of the deleted scenes from Return of the Jedi for the many fans on hand. It was quickly uploaded to YouTube, so here it is for your viewing enjoyment. Enjoy it while it lasts...
Deleted scene
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:13 am

Apparently Lucas has confirmed that it is the special editions, NOT the originals. I'm beyond caring - i'll have them either way.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 am

Steve T Power wrote:Apparently Lucas has confirmed that it is the special editions, NOT the originals. I'm beyond caring - i'll have them either way.

Ditto. I'm sure he'll even make further tweaks to the movies in order to tighten up continuity and whatnot. Whatevs. Star Wars in high def with an assload of extra features, including deleted scenes? I'm buying.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Apparently Lucas has confirmed that it is the special editions, NOT the originals. I'm beyond caring - i'll have them either way.

Ditto. I'm sure he'll even make further tweaks to the movies in order to tighten up continuity and whatnot. Whatevs. Star Wars in high def with an assload of extra features, including deleted scenes? I'm buying.

If he would restore Han shooting first, trim the "Jed Rocks" scene and restore Lapti Nek as the song (or just restore the original Lapti Nek sequence), and get rid of Jabba meeting Han, I could stomach the SEs a lot more.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 am

Boba Fett wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

If he would restore Han shooting first, trim the "Jed Rocks" scene and restore Lapti Nek as the song (or just restore the original Lapti Nek sequence), and get rid of Jabba meeting Han, I could stomach the SEs a lot more.

So what you're saying is, "If he could just release the originals."
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Hmm, we never did get a super-box set for the OT like we thought. When it FINALLY came out on DVD, everybody complained that it was a relatively weak release. They basically said "look, you screamed to get this out, so this is what you got instead of giving us the time for a good set," so I figured something major was going to be in the works. Instead we wait for the next format, probably for more of the same.

I've never been for any of Lucas' reworkings of the OT but I can't help but wonder if he will try to tweak the effects again. The early-CGI effects of his "Special Edition" are now the most dated part of the movies, way more than the 70's hairstyles.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby hoytereden » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Let's face it: the OTs are the stepchildren he once loved but now they've been replaced by better looking and tweaked ones and he's not going to even acknowledge the originals except to insultingly trot out lousy looking transfers as if to say "You wanted them; here you are." I'm not a die hard Star Wars purist so the SEs are fine with me but If you're holding out hope for the OTs (especially in nice transfers) I'm guessing it's going to be a long, long, wait.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:31 am

We've been ripped off and shat on so many times when it comes to these films that in all honesty there is little to be excited about...
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:43 am

stypee wrote:We've been ripped off and shat on so many times when it comes to these films that in all honesty there is little to be excited about...

Ripped off how exactly? The franchise saw one DVD release, plus a repackaged, stripped down re-release. Compared to the endless double- and triple-dips of almost everything else out there, I'd say that's pretty restrained.

And there's always the option of, you know, not buying a particular release.

The drama over Star Wars couldn't be more tired.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm afraid I agree with Dan on this one... the drama is stale, and I'm oddly not all that excited about any incarnation of the original trilogy hitting Blu-Ray. I've bought so many copies of these films over the years that right now I feel like I have done my share to fund a part of the ranch or wherever the money goes. I'm not too thrilled with any of it...
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:28 pm

I can't wait to see Return of the Jedi in high def. Screw you guys...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Future Man » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am

Steve T Power wrote:I can't wait to see Return of the Jedi in high def.

Zug-zug to that
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Meh, not all that excited. I'd be more interested in seeing something like, say, Into the Night getting its shot on disc
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 pm

I've bashed George more than most, but I got the theatrical releases on DVD. Maybe not the best transfers ever, but they look like I remembered them in the theaters as a kid, so I'm happy. Might pick these up to see the deleted stuff out of curiosity, but that's it. Now, I was more than happy with minor cleanups on the Indiana Jones stuff, and a super awesome transfer and Blu-Rays of those would be a welcome sight.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:49 am

mavrach wrote:I've never been for any of Lucas' reworkings of the OT but I can't help but wonder if he will try to tweak the effects again. The early-CGI effects of his "Special Edition" are now the most dated part of the movies, way more than the 70's hairstyles.

Wow what an interesting thought! This could go on forever it seems.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Future Man wrote:
mavrach wrote:I've never been for any of Lucas' reworkings of the OT but I can't help but wonder if he will try to tweak the effects again. The early-CGI effects of his "Special Edition" are now the most dated part of the movies, way more than the 70's hairstyles.

Wow what an interesting thought! This could go on forever it seems.

It's the TJ Maxx of film..."It's never, ever...the same film twice!"
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray