The Dark Knight

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

The Dark Knight

Postby tucco » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Okay, it's been a couple of years now.....
Begs the question: How often do those of you who own the DVD pull it out and watch it?

I pull it out once in a while and find it to be exhausting to watch the whole thing most of the time.
How about you guys/gals?
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:34 pm
Location: WARWICK, RI

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm

yes - it's awesome
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby OperaGal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 pm

I've not seen it yet - still debating on it...
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars"
*My DVD Collection*
User avatar
OperaGal
Paralegal
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: In a country where they turn back time

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:27 pm

It's good movie. I don't find it exhausting at all.

Batman Begins is another story. I know most people here think I'm a philistine but I just don't really get the buzz around that one.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby fred kite » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 am

It's about 30-45 minutes longer than I'd like it to be, but having said that I still put it on once in a while. I still think it's the best superhero movie ever made, but I have to be in the mood for all the moralizing and such that Nolan and Goyer crammed into it.
When I was a boy there was no such word as fail, but now I am a man.
fred kite
City Attorney
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:10 pm
Location: palookaville

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:25 am

I still think the screenplay is a tad too bloated... The Chinese businessman and the Shanghai roadtrip are totally unnecessary and could have easily been trimmed without missing a beat. The "big brother" metaphor with the cel phone sonar and Freeman's hissy fit about personal privacy also still stick out like a sore thumb in what was otherwise a damn awesome crime drama disguised as a superhero flick.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 am

Steve T Power wrote:I still think the screenplay is a tad too bloated... The Chinese businessman and the Shanghai roadtrip are totally unnecessary and could have easily been trimmed without missing a beat. The "big brother" metaphor with the cel phone sonar and Freeman's hissy fit about personal privacy also still stick out like a sore thumb in what was otherwise a damn awesome crime drama disguised as a superhero flick.


On that we agree. It wasn't even played well. How can you object to something on such strong grounds but "agree to use it just this once". That's just silly. Either you use it or you don't.

It felt like they wanted to tarnish batman a little. Perhaps to give him some of the "dark" that the movies name implied.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:33 am

Steve T Power wrote:The Chinese businessman and the Shanghai roadtrip are totally unnecessary and could have easily been trimmed without missing a beat.

No, Steve, just no. The roadtrip a) establishes why the mob would hire the Joker (he knew what was going to happen before it did), b) is one of the key components in how Nolan conceptualizes Batman and Joker as opposite sides of the same coin: Both function outside of the law, both are dedicated to overturning the established order (the difference being that the established order Batman tilts at is the tacit agreement between cops, politicians, and organized crime to allow rampant corruption in Gotham), and c) reinforces the idea that, in operating outside the law, Bruce Wayne has put himself on a slippery slope. Plus, it's just a kickass sequence. And I like that, on the one hand, I was happy to see that smug money laundering sumbitch get what was coming to him; while on the other hand, I was disturbed that a police commissioner and district attorney teamed with a masked vigilante to blatantly violate international law -- that tension is intentional, I think.

So, the scene simultaneously advances the plot, buttresses the movie's themes, and delivers some enjoyable action. What more can you ask? It's sequences like the roadtrip that make The Dark Knight significantly better than nearly every other superhero flick ever made.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:The Chinese businessman and the Shanghai roadtrip are totally unnecessary and could have easily been trimmed without missing a beat.

No, Steve, just no. The roadtrip a) establishes why the mob would hire the Joker (he knew what was going to happen before it did), b) is one of the key components in how Nolan conceptualizes Batman and Joker as opposite sides of the same coin: Both function outside of the law, both are dedicated to overturning the established order (the difference being that the established order Batman tilts at is the tacit agreement between cops, politicians, and organized crime to allow rampant corruption in Gotham), and c) reinforces the idea that, in operating outside the law, Bruce Wayne has put himself on a slippery slope. Plus, it's just a kickass sequence. And I like that, on the one hand, I was happy to see that smug money laundering sumbitch get what was coming to him; while on the other hand, I was disturbed that a police commissioner and district attorney teamed with a masked vigilante to blatantly violate international law -- that tension is intentional, I think.

So, the scene simultaneously advances the plot, buttresses the movie's themes, and delivers some enjoyable action. What more can you ask? It's sequences like the roadtrip that make The Dark Knight significantly better than nearly every other superhero flick ever made.


All I got from it was that it was an excuse for a cool action sequence. It also breaks one of the cardinal rules: NEVER take Batman out of Gotham. For me it felt like a bloated detour. You could have accomplished the exact same criteria through 5 minutes of exposition or one or two brief beats.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Steve T Power wrote:All I got from it was that it was an excuse for a cool action sequence.

Then open your eyes, Power.

Steve T Power wrote:It also breaks one of the cardinal rules: NEVER take Batman out of Gotham.

Cardinal rules are made to be broken...especially ones as stupid as "NEVER take Batman out of Gotham"...especially when his leaving Gotham still has everything to do with his crusade in Gotham. It's not like it was a distraction from the main story; it was the main story. Plus, it was a cool little example of "Here's the kind of shite a billionaire vigilante who dresses up like a bat can do that cops can't." And if that wasn't enough, the money laundering guy was a smug douchebag, and it was enjoyable to see Batman invade his fortress-like office building, take out his crack security team, and drag his sorry ass away, despite the fact that every cop in Hong Kong was apparently on his payroll. The only thing more enjoyable, in fact, was watching Joker torch the guy on top of a giant stack of cash.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Lucius Fox: It emits a high-frequency pulse for mapping an environment and records a response time.
Bruce Wayne: Sonar. Just like a...
Lucius Fox: Like a submarine, Mr. Wayne. Like a submarine.
Bruce Wayne: Submarines use sonar to detect objects in their surrounding environment.
Lucius Fox: That's correct, Mr. Wayne. The cell phone is going to emit sound waves, detect the rebounding vibrations, and create a three-dimensional map of the office building. That's correct. Like a submarine.
Bruce Wayne: Just like... like...
Lucius Fox: Like Daredevil, Mr. Wayne. That's right. Like in the motion picture Daredevil.
Bruce Wayne: And I'll be able to use the image to assess the situation in the building and then break into it. And it may become a critical element in the finale of this film.
Lucius Fox: That's correct, Mr. Wayne. That's correct.
Bruce Wayne: Thanks for helping me break international law and violate the sovereign authority of a foreign territory, Lucius. This can only be used for good.
Lucius Fox: I agree, Mr. Wayne. I have no qualms about this plan.
The Joker: Batman and I share many characteristics!
Formerly chamucamel
User avatar
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Attrage » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 am

It was one of those movies I HAD to own, but I have only actually watched it once since I bought it on the day it was released on DVD.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:15 am

All the Batman films get a play about once a year with me. Yes, even the crap fest known as BATMAN AND ROBIN. I just can't help it: I turn it on and just shake my head at how wrong it all went.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby yellow ledbetter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 pm

The Dark Knight was one of those movies that I thought was absolutely awesome in the theaters, but is quite simply not as great at home. I agree the China subplot is a huge pace killer, I also think quite a few of the characters (namely the cops) are given the kind of bland trying to be dramatic dialogue you'd hear in a videogame. I also think it should have ended with Dent becoming Two Face and possibly set the kidnapping of Gordon's family as a cliffhanger. Making him do something so drastic so near the end also contributed to the bloated feeling of the movie in my opinion. It's still very well done and entertaning, it's just not nearly as perfect as some made it out to be (though Ledger and Eckhart were both damned great in their roles).
yellow ledbetter
Paralegal
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby OperaGal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm

This movie is currently in my Netflix queue, but there are 200+ movies ahead of it now...

Anyhoo, I will be watching 'The Dark Knight' one of these days.

;)
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars"
*My DVD Collection*
User avatar
OperaGal
Paralegal
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: In a country where they turn back time


Return to DVD

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests