Twilight Zone...the Radio Show?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Twilight Zone...the Radio Show?

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Ok, so I have been on an audio play kick the last little while, mostly listening to the great works from Big Finish Productions. However, taking a tour of what is available on itunes, I came across an odd discovery: The Twilight Zone Radio series. The series pretty much are radio adaptations of the classic series, using the original music, most of the original script with a few changes for modern times, and contemporary actors.

While I would have prefered new stories as opposed to picking on Rod Serlings works, I was excited to say the least. So far however, the resuls have been mixed. While the series has managed to score some great actors (Blair Underwood, Adam Baldwin and Fred Willard among them), most of the performances have been rather stiff, as if they are unsure how to work in the medium. The supporting casts are slightly worse, as if they are trying to recreate a type of performance that worked fifty years ago. The "updates" are inconsistant, such as in the story "To Serve Man": modern computers are referenced to, but we still are given a sound track full of type writers, while the dialogue has barely been altered from the 1960s originals.The one great thing about the series however has been Stacey Keach as the narrator, finding the write tone to capture Serling's intent without copying the man.

Anyone else had a chance to listen to the show? Thoughts on how it compares to the original?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Re: Twilight Zone...the Radio Show?

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, so I have been on an audio play kick the last little while, mostly listening to the great works from Big Finish Productions.

I have not heard The Twilight Zone radio adaptations but I love me some Big Finish. I have the complete Doctor Who run and several of the spin-offs. And radio dramas in general. On the drive home I was listening to a BBC full cast audio of Dracula. Quite good.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:03 am

HGervais wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, so I have been on an audio play kick the last little while, mostly listening to the great works from Big Finish Productions.

I have not heard The Twilight Zone radio adaptations but I love me some Big Finish. I have the complete Doctor Who run and several of the spin-offs. And radio dramas in general. On the drive home I was listening to a BBC full cast audio of Dracula. Quite good.

I sort of pick and choose which stories I am to listen to since I've entered the game so late, with the exception of McGann's stuff, which I listen to in order. Of the WHO range I have listened to thus far, I'd pickTHE HOLY TERROR and SHADOW OF THE SCOURGE as among the best of the lot. Also a big fan of the Judge Dredd plays: the Crime Chronicles' series was fantastic.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:11 pm

I started out with the 8th Doctor audio adventures and then pretty quickly moved to the other ones in the range. Some of my favorites of the ones I've listened to:
5th Doctor
The Eye of the Scorpion
Spare Parts
The Church and the Crown
The Game
The Council of Nicaea

6th Doctor aka Sixie
Whispers of Terror
The Spectre of Lanyon Moor
The Holy Terror
The One Doctor
...ish
Arrangements For War
Thicker Than Water

7th Doctor
Dust Breeding
Colditz
The Harvest
Live 34

I would especially recommend Colditz as I think it is one of the very best BF audios and one that leads into a trilogy of stories they recorded about 9 years later.

8th Doctor
Minuet In Hell
The Chimes of Midnight
Seasons of Fear
Neverland

I'm at the point with the 8th Doctor where he is in the Divergent Universe and I'm frankly finding them tough going. And I don't know if you hang out there at all but the message boards at BF are pretty active and friendly.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Oh and there is a pretty good sale over at BF right now that features some Doctor Who main range titles as well as loads of spin-off titles for about 8 bucks each American.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm

HGervais wrote:Oh and there is a pretty good sale over at BF right now that features some Doctor Who main range titles as well as loads of spin-off titles for about 8 bucks each American.

Thanks for the heads up!

Never been on the boards, as most of the WHO talk I end up doing at Gallifrey Base, but I will have to give them a look. As forthe titles you suggested, will be looking into them, especially the seventh Doctor stories (McCoy still reigns as my favorite Doctor).

I have listened to SPARE PARTS, but I seem to be one of the few people who isn't in love with that tale. The storyline is fantastic, but the execution feels a tad off. It is the only tale I've heard that I believe would work better on television than it does in audio. Finished listening to MINUET IN HELL a few weeks ago actually: great tale.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:55 pm

WHat do you go by on Gallifrey Base? I'm over there as well as Gallifrey504.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Oh and Colditz features a certain future 10th Doctor as a nasty little Nazi who has a thing for Ace...and not in a good way.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm

HGervais wrote:WHat do you go by on Gallifrey Base? I'm over there as well as Gallifrey504.

I go by the name Noyer on the base.

Oh and Colditz features a certain future 10th Doctor as a nasty little Nazi who has a thing for Ace...and not in a good way.

Which reminds me: come one BBC! Allow Big Finish to start using material from the RTD era of the show! We might finally get more from the Ninth Doctor, likely sans Rose, and in a few years time perhaps David Tennant...

EDIT:...and it appears we have run into one another not too long ago in the AN EARTHLY CHILD thread on the Base!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I think we would get 10th Doctor adventures long before we get the 9th Doctor. CE seems to have seperated himself pretty firmly from the show while Tennant often sounds like he regrets leaving. Nice to see you again and I still think some companion chronicles detailing the occupants of the TARDIS before the Doctor & Susan stole it would make for some interesting stories.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm also midway through the first season of BF's Lost Stories featuring adapted scripts for the 6th Doctor that were abandoned when the BBC put the show on hiatus. 3 stories in and two of the three have been quite good with the weakest one still being an entertaining listen.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 pm

I hope to get to the lost stories sooner rather than later, but I am waiting to see if the download cost will go down (or the next major sale).
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 am

Listened to a few more Twilight Zone Radio Show episodes. Here are the grades for all of them thus far:

The Old Man in the Cave - Grade: B. It is a solid little story, but the acting is a bit stiff and, as in everyone of these stories, I do not think using the original 1960s scores was a good idea.

To Serve Man - Grade: C. Ok, the original episode was not that great either, but this update does nothing to really help the situation. Blair Underwood is a good actor, but in this he sounds like he is going through the motions.

Pattern for Doomsday - Grade: B+. One of the "lost" stories from the original show, so nothing to really compare it to, and it works in the tale's favor. Henry Rollins stars and brings some energy to the story, even if he gets a tad bit hammy, and while it is no classic, it is a solid piece of Twilight Zone story telling.

The Howling Man - Grade: A-. It takes a moment to adjust to Fred Willard in a serious role, but he does fine with the material, turning in a great performance in a story that does not bother with any half hearted updating.

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet- Grade: A-. This story is so good that it would take a real effort to botch it up. John Schneider delivers an excellent performance in the central role, and the tale unsurprisingly works well in an era of increased paranoia about airplane travel.

In Praise of Pip - Grade - A. Hands down the best of the lot so far. Willard stars again in this story, and it is perfect casting, as Willard's natural comic charms only serve to highten the drama. Touching and sweet, this episode honestly did make me a little teary eyed.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

HGervais wrote:Oh and Colditz features a certain future 10th Doctor as a nasty little Nazi who has a thing for Ace...and not in a good way.

Ok, just listened to Colditz: I'm interested in the Kline Trilogy now.

My only problem with the production is that the music tries to emulate the scores of the late 1980s, and while I love the McCoy era, the music during that time was flat out terrible (save Ghostlight and Survival). This music is better than that, but I still too close for comfort.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
HGervais wrote:Oh and Colditz features a certain future 10th Doctor as a nasty little Nazi who has a thing for Ace...and not in a good way.

Trust me. It's really, really good....especially the one part Kline's Story at the start of the middle serial in the arc.
Between the Kline trilogy and the second 7th Doctor trilogy, "Project: Destiny", "A Death In The Family" & "Lurkers At Sunlight's Edge", 2010 was the best year Big Finish-wise for McCoy's Doctor.

My only problem with the production is that the music tries to emulate the scores of the late 1980s, and while I love the McCoy era, the music during that time was flat out terrible (save Ghostlight and Survival). This music is better than that, but I still too close for comfort.

That is something the BF audios did a lot in those first few years. As the audios have moved forward I think that they have kind of developed their own musical sound. Although if that bugs you, you might want to stay away from the Lost Stories series where they head first sonically speaking in the retro 80s sound.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm

HGervais wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:

Trust me. It's really, really good....especially the one part Kline's Story at the start of the middle serial in the arc.
Between the Kline trilogy and the second 7th Doctor trilogy, "Project: Destiny", "A Death In The Family" & "Lurkers At Sunlight's Edge", 2010 was the best year Big Finish-wise for McCoy's Doctor.

Must...resist...urge to buy....

That is something the BF audios did a lot in those first few years. As the audios have moved forward I think that they have kind of developed their own musical sound. Although if that bugs you, you might want to stay away from the Lost Stories series where they head first sonically speaking in the retro 80s sound.
[/QUOTE]

I listened to the WORD LORD and a few later stories, and you are right: the music does greatly improve. I don't mind the 1980s sound so much, as I dug quite a bit of the music from the final Tom Baker year, and right through to Colin Baker. Once McCoy joined, the writing steadly improved, but the music suddenly sounded like a cheap A-Team knock off.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:19 pm

If you are going to pull the trigger on McCoy's second trilogy from 2010 make sure you have heard Project: Twilight & Project: Lazarus as well as Harvest.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

HGervais wrote:If you are going to pull the trigger on McCoy's second trilogy from 2010 make sure you have heard Project: Twilight & Project: Lazarus as well as Harvest.

I'm probably going to hold off for the immediate future: I think some of the early Colin Baker stories with Maggie will probably be next, along with MASTER, of which I've heard good things.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
HGervais wrote:If you are going to pull the trigger on McCoy's second trilogy from 2010 make sure you have heard Project: Twilight & Project: Lazarus as well as Harvest.

I'm probably going to hold off for the immediate future: I think some of the early Colin Baker stories with Maggie will probably be next, along with MASTER, of which I've heard good things.

Project: Twilight certainly fits that bill. I do like The Marian Conspiracy and with Nicholas Courtney's passing I gave The Spectre of Lanyon Moor a spin and it is still kind of terrific.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Ok, broke my own plan and ended up buying/listening to A Thousand Tiny Wings.

Freaking. Amazing.

Dark, imaginative, morally and politically complex, and McCoy doing some of his finest work in the role. I cannot wait to listen to the rest of the Kline Trilogy.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, broke my own plan and ended up buying/listening to A Thousand Tiny Wings.

Freaking. Amazing.

Dark, imaginative, morally and politically complex, and McCoy doing some of his finest work in the role. I cannot wait to listen to the rest of the Kline Trilogy.

Yeah it is, isn't it? BF is on a big roll these past couple of years.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 pm

HGervais wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, broke my own plan and ended up buying/listening to A Thousand Tiny Wings.

Freaking. Amazing.

Yeah it is, isn't it? BF is on a big roll these past couple of years.

It will never happen, but I would love, love, to see much of the BF crew take on a greater role in the history of the show post Moffat.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:53 am

It's official! The 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, is joining the Big Finish line-up. And I could not be happier.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:30 pm

HGervais wrote:It's official! The 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, is joining the Big Finish line-up. And I could not be happier.

Looks like those "two" projects for BF he was looking at have grown considerably. With any luck, perhaps a five Doctors story? And it seems like good timing as well, given that with McCoy being part of the Hobbit cast he might be away for a bit.

On a related note, listened to the next part of the Klein trilogy, Klein's Story/Survival of the Fittest. Once again, BF is doing amazing work on this series of stories, and it is a shame that it is only a trilogy: I could easily have seen this as a longer storyline without any loss of dramatic punch. Klein may just be the most complex companion the Doctor ever has had.

It also occurs to me that this storyline would also have been right at home during the earliest years of the program. Ok, there is no way the show would have allowed a character like Klein to be a companion at that time, but the ethical/moral/political conflict between the Doctor and Klein is not far from the way in which the original TARDIS crew interacted, each brining a different perspective to the table with regards to the challenges they faced.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Looks like those "two" projects for BF he was looking at have grown considerably. With any luck, perhaps a five Doctors story? And it seems like good timing as well, given that with McCoy being part of the Hobbit cast he might be away for a bit.
I wrote BF a couple of weeks ago asking about how it was going to effect his recording time and the reply I recieved was not at all. We have the 7th Doctor Lost Stories starting in April and we have another 7th Doctor trilogy starting up after the 5th Doctor run begining in April.

On a related note, listened to the next part of the Klein trilogy, Klein's Story/Survival of the Fittest. Once again, BF is doing amazing work on this series of stories, and it is a shame that it is only a trilogy: I could easily have seen this as a longer storyline without any loss of dramatic punch. Klein may just be the most complex companion the Doctor ever has had.

Klein's Story is especially good and I really liked the main story as well. Lots of great ideas on display. And wait until you listen to part three!
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 am

HGervais wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Looks like those "two" projects for BF he was looking at have grown considerably. With any luck, perhaps a five Doctors story? And it seems like good timing as well, given that with McCoy being part of the Hobbit cast he might be away for a bit.
I wrote BF a couple of weeks ago asking about how it was going to effect his recording time and the reply I recieved was not at all. We have the 7th Doctor Lost Stories starting in April and we have another 7th Doctor trilogy starting up after the 5th Doctor run begining in April.

Klein's Story is especially good and I really liked the main story as well. Lots of great ideas on display. And wait until you listen to part three!

Just purchased the download of Architects of History...and it refuses to download. Hopefully BF gets back to me soon about this so I can report on my reactions!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Just purchased the download of Architects of History...and it refuses to download. Hopefully BF gets back to me soon about this so I can report on my reactions!

If there is one thing I have learned about Big Finish, besides the fact they like to crunch on potato crisps during podcasts, is that their service & sales department is very responsive.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 pm

HGervais wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Just purchased the download of Architects of History...and it refuses to download. Hopefully BF gets back to me soon about this so I can report on my reactions!

If there is one thing I have learned about Big Finish, besides the fact they like to crunch on potato crisps during podcasts, is that their service & sales department is very responsive.

Ah excellent! Though I think at the time the e-mail was sent, the time difference may mean they are out of office. Oh well, when the response comes, it shall come.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 am

Ok, finally was able to download and listen to the play, and that was a near perfect ending to the saga of two people who will not bend to the other in the least.

If it had any flaws, it is trying the amount of paradoxs that need to be kept straight, and trying to solve to what degree the Doctor is telling the truth. And that "death" TARDIS at the end of the story, the one that was Klein was sentenced to: was that the Timelords, or the Doctor himself pulling rank?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:24 pm

I just finished up the 8th Doctor adventure, The Next Life, which thankfully brought a close to the Divergent Universe arc. The second run of stories was head & shoulders above the first but I still don't look at it as an experiment which worked. The story itself was rather good, if an episode too long, but I'm glad to have The Doctor back in the proper universe.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:50 pm

HGervais wrote:I just finished up the 8th Doctor adventure, The Next Life, which thankfully brought a close to the Divergent Universe arc. The second run of stories was head & shoulders above the first but I still don't look at it as an experiment which worked. The story itself was rather good, if an episode too long, but I'm glad to have The Doctor back in the proper universe.

I am a little leary for when I hit this time of the 8th Doctor. It didn't really work when the 4th Doctor went to E-Space, and it dopesn't sound as if the divergent universe works for the 8th Doctor. We shall see.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
HGervais wrote:I just finished up the 8th Doctor adventure, The Next Life, which thankfully brought a close to the Divergent Universe arc. The second run of stories was head & shoulders above the first but I still don't look at it as an experiment which worked. The story itself was rather good, if an episode too long, but I'm glad to have The Doctor back in the proper universe.

I am a little leary for when I hit this time of the 8th Doctor. It didn't really work when the 4th Doctor went to E-Space, and it dopesn't sound as if the divergent universe works for the 8th Doctor. We shall see.
It's the part of being a obsessive collector that sucks....that need to work through stuff you either don't like or don't think is very good. It's there. It's part of the thing in which you are into, so you have to endure the bad. Although I will say there are a couple of 7th Doctor stories that I have put to the side and avoided because I have read things about how terrible they are. I'll get to them eventually but not quite yet.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 am

HGervais wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:

It's the part of being a obsessive collector that sucks....that need to work through stuff you either don't like or don't think is very good. It's there. It's part of the thing in which you are into, so you have to endure the bad. Although I will say there are a couple of 7th Doctor stories that I have put to the side and avoided because I have read things about how terrible they are. I'll get to them eventually but not quite yet.

Sad but true (looks over at Superman/Batman Public Enemies...)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Ok, just finished THE MARIAN CONSPIRACY, and it is an excellent drama, and one of the best straight historicals in the history of the show.

BUT...I hate the first half of episode one. The first meetings of the Doctor and Evelyn Smythe should have been classic, but they seem to have been written with the goal of making it seem as routine to Evelyn as possible. Man is strange get up interrupting her class? Moderate response. Same man shows up at her home and asks to look at family documents? Sure, just go along with it. Same man claims he can travel in time and space? She doesn't even begin to question it.

I am all for not repeating companion awe/disbelief every time, but this goes way too far in the opposite direction. The main story itself is fine, but man, it took me a while to get over episode one.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to Television