Happy Birthday Warren Beatty: You get to keep 'Dick Tracy'

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Happy Birthday Warren Beatty: You get to keep 'Dick Tracy'

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:55 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/warren-beatty-wins-dick-tracy-lawsuit/
A federal judge in Los Angeles has stopped Tribune Co from reclaiming the television and movie rights to comic-strip detective Dick Tracy from Warren Beatty. U.S. District Judge Dean Pregerson granted summary judgment in the producer/director/actor's favor yesterday, ruling that the fact Beatty had begun work on a half-hour TV special, which had Warren dressed as the Dick Tracy character answering questions from film critic Leonard Maltin, satisfied a use-it-or-lose-it clause in an agreement with Tribune to produce a Dick Tracy movie or TV show or lose the rights to the character. Now, what Warren wants to do with the Dick Tracy character whose rights he acquired from Tribune Media Services in 1985 going forward I can't imagine.

The expensive 1990 movie he produced, directed and starred in for Disney's Touchstone pictures was no blockbuster despite a stellar cast that included Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman and even a well-hyped romance between Madonna and himself. But it did collect seven Academy Award nominations, winning Oscars for Best Original Song, Best Makeup, and Best Art Direction. As for that TV special which featured Beatty discussing how Dick Tracy has been portrayed on film over the years, it only ran on Turner Classic Movies in July 2009. Beatty only made it to keep his rights intact. It's hard to imagine today's younger audiences caring about the detective, yet Tribune Co has said in bankruptcy filings that unfettered rights to Dick Tracy are potentially worth millions" to the company and its creditors.

So, at the very least, we're one step closer to (rather than a step away from) seeing Beatty's director's cut of "Dick Tracy" getting home video exposure. :)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Happy Birthday Warren Beatty: You get to keep 'Dick Tracy'

Postby Adam Arseneau » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

Beatty's Dick Tracy is an under-appreciated gem of cinematography and film making. I love that film, man.
I'M THE MOON
Adam Arseneau
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am

I really like Beatty's Dick Tracy, but the man needs to do something with the property if he's intent on hanging onto the rights forever (and by do something, I don't mean a half-assed TV interview special in which Warren Beatty is wearing a Dick Tracy hat).
cdouglas
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Beatty: Blu-ray of "Dick Tracy" (theatrical or director's cut?) and a sequel (!) are in the works (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49986). 8)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to Movies