And the director of DC's relaunched SUPERMAN movie is...

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: And the director of DC's relaunched SUPERMAN movie is...

Postby Mach6 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:42 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:MICHAEL SHANNON ("REVOLUTIONARY ROAD") WILL PLAY GENERAL ZOD: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/michael-shannon-play-villain-general-176799. So much for this reboot being a clean break from the Donner "Superman" flicks. :(

I approve.

Like Dave Ryan in the Objection post, I would’ve preferred somebody with an evil British/English accent like Patrick Stewart or Ralph Fiennes but Shannon is a great choice. I loved his work in Boardwalk Empire. He definitely has the talent to portray the intelligence, ruthlessness, & alpha male arrogance that are the main character traits of Zod.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 pm

From NeoGaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426967
Image :D
[X] Lex Luthor
[X] General Zod
[X] Richard Pryor
[X] Nuclear Man
[X] Parenthood
[_] Brainiac
[_] Darkseid
[_] Metallo
[_] Bizarro
[_] Doomsday
[_] Parasite
[_] Mongul
[_] Ultraman
[_] Gog
[_] Mr. Mxyzptlk
[_] Jimmy Olsen

Seriously, why can't the "Superman" movies expand the villain roles beyond Luthor, Zod, stars-of-the-moment and/or made-up crappy superheroes? Big epic fail (i.e. the easy way out) to go with a character that Terrence Stamp did so well to begin with. BTW, the movie's new official title is "MAN OF STEEL."
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:40 pm

For a second I thought the new villain was going to be Steve Jobs, I mean he'd build some insanely great device that would crush our hero, and sell 5o million them in the process....
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Byun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 am

Something that occurred to me that is kind of interesting/odd...with the Batman films, people seem to want, or at least get excited to hear about, the same major villains every time: Joker, Riddler, Penguin, etc. I didn't hear more than a handful of people complaining when Joker was announced for The Dark Knight, and I'm pretty sure the same would have been true if the next Batman film had the Riddler in it.

Yet, when it comes to Superman movies, people don't want the same villains with each reboot. Why is that? The first and second Superman movies made an iconic villain out of General Zod -- how come there isn't the same response of "how will this actor interpret this famous role" that there is with the Bat-flicks?
Bryan Byun
Judge

Postby Jon Mercer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Bryan Byun wrote:Something that occurred to me that is kind of interesting/odd...with the Batman films, people seem to want, or at least get excited to hear about, the same major villains every time: Joker, Riddler, Penguin, etc. I didn't hear more than a handful of people complaining when Joker was announced for The Dark Knight, and I'm pretty sure the same would have been true if the next Batman film had the Riddler in it.

Yet, when it comes to Superman movies, people don't want the same villains with each reboot. Why is that? The first and second Superman movies made an iconic villain out of General Zod -- how come there isn't the same response of "how will this actor interpret this famous role" that there is with the Bat-flicks?

A lot of it can be attributed to The Joker playing such a major role in the Batman mythos. He's considered by most to be the Dark Knight's true nemesis, and more than a few major traumatic events in Bat-history are the result of the Clown Prince of Crime. Zod, on the other hand, was a silver age curiosity. A Superboy villain who popped up on occasion to tussle with the Man of Steel. Outside of the movie appearance, Zod played a very minute role in the Superman mythos, especially after the John Byrne relaunch in 1986. I will guarantee you that the first image to pop in the majority of comic fan's minds when you say Zod is Terrance Stamp. The last thing the Snyder/Nolan Superman needs to do is waste a lot of time paying homage to the Reeve films. I myself would've gone with Modern Age/Industrialist Lex Luthor and perhaps a hired-gun heavy hitter like Metallo or Brainiac or Toyman. Maybe an early tussle with Bruno Mannheim and Intergang in the first act. Part of me would've even enjoyed Darkseid, who has everything Zod does, but is much cooler.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:06 pm

While I agree that perhaps the relaunch would be wise to start out with another Superman baddie what Zod gives you is a level playing field with Superman. When you have a character that is essentially a god you need another godlike threat level opposing him. Yeah that could be Darkseid or Brainiac but I think Darkseid is best built up to and is probably a better threat if you are looking towards a Justice League movie. I think Brainiac would be the best option of all but whatever.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Jon Mercer wrote:The last thing the Snyder/Nolan Superman needs to do is waste a lot of time paying homage to the Reeve films.

I'll be surprised if they pay homage to the earlier films at all...even with the inclusion of Zod. I'm guessing he'll be a very different Zod than what we saw in the Donner/Lester films.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Jon Mercer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Jon Mercer wrote:The last thing the Snyder/Nolan Superman needs to do is waste a lot of time paying homage to the Reeve films.

I'll be surprised if they pay homage to the earlier films at all...even with the inclusion of Zod. I'm guessing he'll be a very different Zod than what we saw in the Donner/Lester films.

I know dude. My whole thing is just that outside of Superman II, Zod is really just a drop in the pond. They might as well have just made up a villain. I'm still really anxious to see what they do with Supes.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:46 am

SHANNON AT RIVERRUN FESTIVAL EXPLAINING HOW HE GOT THE ZOD PART (VIDEO): http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/michael-shannon-tells-how-he-got-the-general-zod-job-in-man-of-steel/. Still wish it was anyone other than Zod, but at least Michael seems to 'get' his director's version of what he wants this Supes movie to be.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 pm

I feel conflicted about the whole "re-uses" of villians issue that bothers fandom so much.

When it comes to Lex, I get it. Out of the 8 times Superman has made it to the silver screen, Lex has been in five of those films. Factor in the four live action Superman television series, and Lex has been in three out of the four, with major roles in at least two of them. Then there is the various animated series...

Zod however, I don't understand the backlash to as much. In total, Zod had a small role in Superman: The Movie, was the major villian in Superman II, then was never featured in either television or film again until a sort of appearance in Smallville when he takes over Lex's body, and then a full blown return in ONE season of the show. As has been pointed out here, Zod was a fairly minor villian in the comics, but that also means he is open to being reinterpreted more than Lex. With Shannon cast, I serious doubt we will be scene a Stamp-style Zod again.

As for featuring the rest of Superman's villians, well...who? Ok, there is Brainiac, but he has been reinvented so many times that he'd likely be retooled again for whatever film he appears in. After him, look at the list of contenders: Metallo? I'd love to see Jason Statham play him, but he is a flunky at best, not a villian to build a film around; Doomsday? He had one shot of fame, but again, he is such a week concept they keep needing to revamp the character each and everytime (Smallville has had the best success at making him interesting); Bruno Mannheim? Eradicator? Conduit? There is a reason Darkseid and the New God characters have been swipped to be major Superman villians in recent years.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:37 pm

German actress Antje Traue ("Pandorum") considered for "Man of Steel's" female villain role (Ursa?): http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-man-steel-close-landing-182658.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:13 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:German actress Antje Traue ("Pandorum") considered for "Man of Steel's" female villain role (Ursa?):

Since Goyer wrote it (or at least came up with the story idea), I'd bet on Faora over Ursa.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:23 pm

This just in

Russell Crowe will play Superman's biological father Jor-El in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, reports Variety.

He will be joining Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Michael Shannon and Antje Traue in the new film, coming to theaters in late 2012.

Christopher Nolan, Charles Roven, Emma Thomas and Deborah Snyder are producing the anticipated film, which is expected to start shooting next month.

Russell Crowe? Hell yes!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Russell Crowe? Hell yes!

I can see it now:

Jor-El: Now, son, I understand you are the last Kryptonian, and my son, but I just need you to know that if you ever cut me off while I am speaking, I'm am going to kill you. You don't ever cut off f____ing Jor-El.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Previous

Return to Movies