Movie Watch - Oblivion

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Movie Watch - Oblivion

Postby Steve T Power » Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 am

Coming from Disney in the near future, courtesy of "Tron: Legacy" director Joseph Kosinski, based on his as yet unpublished graphic novel of the same name.

More (beautiful) images and some info HERE!

Announced today: Tom Cruise has committed to making this his next film after "Rock of Ages".

Whatever faults Tron: Legacy" may have had, solid direction and arresting visuals certainly aren't among them. Between this, whatever Cameron has up his sleeve with Avatar, and Ridley's Prometheus, we could be looking at a second renaissance of Sci-Fi goodness!

Get a teaser out there ASAP, and start the hype machine! maybe next years Comic Con would be a good place to start.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Movie Watch - Oblivion

Postby JoshRode » Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 pm

That does look really cool, but...are we really to the point where we're making movies to support new graphic novels? What will everyone complain about since there won't be decades-old canon to compare to the movie? :lol:
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Disney pulled out of this project, and Universal picked it up. But it will be PG-13:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/tom-cru ... -for-fall/
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 pm

JoshRode wrote:That does look really cool, but...are we really to the point where we're making movies to support new graphic novels? What will everyone complain about since there won't be decades-old canon to compare to the movie? :lol:

Truth is the graphic novel was put together by Losinski in order to pitch the film. So technically it's a graphic novel born out of a film project, and not vice versa.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Wed May 25, 2011 12:18 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Truth is the graphic novel was put together by Losinski in order to pitch the film. So technically it's a graphic novel born out of a film project, and not vice versa.

That's even better! The movie is being made based on a graphic novel that was written for the sole purpose of selling the studio on the movie. Losinski is clearly a genius at pitching ideas.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm

JoshRode wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

That's even better! The movie is being made based on a graphic novel that was written for the sole purpose of selling the studio on the movie. Losinski is clearly a genius at pitching ideas.

If it gets me a kick ass sky-fye flick - i'm down with a little creative flick-pitchin.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Wed May 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Heck yes. Maybe Joss Whedon can pick up some tips to keep his TV shows going past the two-year mark.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Return to Movies