Super 8 - Is it worth it?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Super 8 - Is it worth it?

Postby Paul Kile » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:34 pm

OK, has anyone seen Super 8? I need an objective review of this movie before I decide to drop the cash to go see it. My wife and I tried to view the remake of War of the Worlds, and found the kids so irritating, we sent the Netflix back before finishing it. Now we have another science fiction movie by JJ Abrams, but done in homage to Spielberg, so is it worth watching? Will it be a worthwhile science fiction film, or will it be full of whiny children like WOTW was?
Cheers,
Paul
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Re: Super 8 - Is it worth it?

Postby calvert87 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Think more along the lines of the kids in The Goonies. I loved this movie so much I saw it twice already. Major love letter to late 70's - early 80's summer movies. The kids turn in excellent performances. I also think the less you know going in, the more you will enjoy the film. They honestly do not make them like this anymore. To sum it up in one word - magical.
So, it wasn't so much an eskimo roll. It was more a case of rolling right INUIT!
calvert87
Paralegal

Postby Future Man » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:45 am

IMO too long by about 15 minutes, and the first half is bettter than the second half. I don't plan to see it again.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Maybe, but it still is good entertainment. I don't understand a part of the 3rd act but overall, a pretty enjoyable flick.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Mach6 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm

A slight no. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t really love it either. Like Calvert87 said, the kids gave excellent performances, especially Elle Fanning & Joel Courtney. I wonder if that was some inside joke about Michael Bay where the one kid was only interested in explosions & fireworks. The mysterious attack sequences were handled well. I just didn’t like how the military was portrayed & the origin of the “monster”. Let’s just say The Old White Man Cabal would not approve of Super 8. The reveal of the “monster” or the look of it just didn’t impress me. I will give it’s a better overall movie than Cloverfield.

Wait for it on rental.
Mach6
City Attorney

Return to Movies