Horror movies: At Home or in the Theatre?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Horror movies: At Home or in the Theatre?

Postby Kevin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm

How are horror movies the most effective for you, at home in the dark and by yourself or in a movie theatre where you get the energy of the crowd around you?

I kind of prefer at home. Depending on the film I also find them more effective alone. Which is weird because the few times I have watched horror films in the cinema I've gotten really scared. But at the same time that can get ruined too easily by some jerks making fun of the film and killing the mood for you.

So, how do you like your horror to be served?
Kevin
City Attorney

Re: Horror movies: At Home or in the Theatre?

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Definitely at home. I can more easily control the atmosphere and, as you said, mood-killing laughs are more easily avoided. I also find that most theaters have the audio volume set too high for my comfort, causing musical stabs to be especially unpleasant.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:26 pm

During the movie, I find it more intense at home; however, after the movie it's much easier to re-acclimate to reality at home. At the theater, there's always that feeling of being watched or followed in the dark, empty-ish parking lot, and the sense that things aren't back to normal usually follows me home.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Home. Yes horror movies are probably the ones most prone to theater hecklers - "Don't go in there stupid!!!" But for me most horror movies fail to actually be scary, see my avatar for the scariest movie image I've ever seen. But if you're talking about one of the majority of crappy horror flicks based around jump scares, it's probably best to be in a theater where at least the energy of the people around you might carry it a little better.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:17 am

mavrach wrote:see Bryan Pope's avatar for the scariest movie image I've ever seen.

Fixed.

Home for sure. At the theater, it can't be too scary because if some insane, hatchet wielding nutjob is in there, he's gonna get a few more people before I'm in his range because I always sit in the middle, and I'll notice the bodies and get the hell out of there. But at home? He might just be behind my damn sofa and at any second I could be chopped into Alpo....way scarier that way. Plus you always have the possibility of the phone ringing, or your pet jumping up on you during a really scary scene and having an immediate heart attack.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:23 am

Definitely at home. The first time I saw the William Castle classic House on Haunted Hill was when I was 10 years old - in someone else's house - ALONE. This transpired one summer because I was going to watch it with my older sister and some of her friends, but at the last minute they all decided to go see The Haunting (1963), playing at the local theater. We didn't have a TV in our summer cabin, but one of my sister's friends said I could watch the movie on their TV. This was back in the day when a 10-year-old kid could be left alone and nobody would bat an eye. My Dad would come over every half hour or so and see how I was doing, but basically I was left alone for the bulk of the movie.

Another good situation is to see a horror flick at home with a friend or two. That's how I saw most of the classic horror and Sci-Fi films when my buddy Tom Abbatiello and I would get together on Saturday nights to watch "Chiller Theater" on Channel 9 in New York. At the time they were showing all the classic 1930's-40's Universal releases, the 1950's Universal-International Bug-Eyed-Monster movies, and occasionally Plan 9 from Outer Space, perfect fodder for a couple of prepubescent yoots to enjoy on Saturday night.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Dunnyman wrote:
mavrach wrote:see Bryan Pope's avatar for the scariest movie image I've ever seen.

Fixed.

I'm watching you, Dunnyman. Always watching you.

The last truly unsettling movie experience I had was the first two acts of "House of the Devil." I mean... damn. And that was in my office, during my lunch hour, in broad daylight. I hate to think how I'd have handled it alone in my living room late at night.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby stypee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:59 pm

It depends really. I don't have a great sound system like a used to so some of the effect is taken away. If it's something I really, really love like for example "The Exorcist" than of course it's something I'd enjoy watching at home. Of course that film is 38 years old.

There are moments where it's a heck of allot of fun seeing a horror flick in the theatre. I'll never forget seeing "The Strangers" in a packed house back in NY. The sound was perfect and the audience was glued to the screen. They're reactions were actually allot of fun and it was minimal on the yelling at the screen crap.

So I'd have to say I'm 50/50 on home and cinema..
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Burson_Fouch » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 am

Although my preference is to watch a film in a good theatre with a properly behaved audience, as far as horror films go I'd rather view them at home. This is due to the fact that modern horror films generally get butchered for theatrical release in order to achieve that dreaded PG-13 rating so that the studios can get the teenagers in the theatre.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Burson_Fouch wrote:Although my preference is to watch a film in a good theatre with a properly behaved audience, as far as horror films go I'd rather view them at home. This is due to the fact that modern horror films generally get butchered for theatrical release in order to achieve that dreaded PG-13 rating so that the studios can get the teenagers in the theatre.

When are these idiots going to learn PG-13 is more of a curse than a profit margin?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Here's the thing about horror movies, they are only as scary as you make them. Once someone is old enough to know what balancing a checkbook means then nothing on a screen in front of them is comparable to real life. There some sort of switch in the brain that throws. Well I had an ex who was scared to death at suspense movies, so not everyone has the switch. She claimed nightmares for a week from Shutter Island... Anyway the point is in the theatre you'll usually end up with the crowd that cracks jokes and tries to be "tough." Those old enough to understand that tough has nothing to do with a movie theatre will find the experience highly annoying.

So, ideal world = movie theatre
real world = horror at home
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

stypee wrote:
Burson_Fouch wrote:Although my preference is to watch a film in a good theatre with a properly behaved audience, as far as horror films go I'd rather view them at home. This is due to the fact that modern horror films generally get butchered for theatrical release in order to achieve that dreaded PG-13 rating so that the studios can get the teenagers in the theatre.

When are these idiots going to learn PG-13 is more of a curse than a profit margin?

Maybe never. As the studios are abandoning the theatre the pg-13 theatrical run is more of a scape goat or perhaps quick cash grab. The real money is home cinema be it cable, internet, or physical media. They save the "unrated" version for that. They don't even have to pay a second MPAA fee because home video is pretty much open game for anything.

Theatres are dead, we may as well mourn them now and get it over with. They may come back as niche items but will never be relevant again like they were in the 80s.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Paul Kile wrote:Definitely at home. The first time I saw the William Castle classic House on Haunted Hill was when I was 10 years old - in someone else's house - ALONE. This transpired one summer because I was going to watch it with my older sister and some of her friends, but at the last minute they all decided to go see The Haunting (1963), playing at the local theater. We didn't have a TV in our summer cabin, but one of my sister's friends said I could watch the movie on their TV. This was back in the day when a 10-year-old kid could be left alone and nobody would bat an eye. My Dad would come over every half hour or so and see how I was doing, but basically I was left alone for the bulk of the movie.

Another good situation is to see a horror flick at home with a friend or two. That's how I saw most of the classic horror and Sci-Fi films when my buddy Tom Abbatiello and I would get together on Saturday nights to watch "Chiller Theater" on Channel 9 in New York. At the time they were showing all the classic 1930's-40's Universal releases, the 1950's Universal-International Bug-Eyed-Monster movies, and occasionally Plan 9 from Outer Space, perfect fodder for a couple of prepubescent yoots to enjoy on Saturday night.

At home, for sure.
The first film that scared the you-know-what out of me was The Thing From Another World that I saw at my Aunt's house during a summer in the late '50s. Watched it late at night after she went to bed. It didn't help matters that this was on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Good times!
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:40 am

hoytereden wrote:The first film that scared the you-know-what out of me was The Thing From Another World that I saw at my Aunt's house during a summer in the late '50s. Watched it late at night after she went to bed. It didn't help matters that this was on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Good times!

Vegetable farm?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Home. The vast overwhelming majority of horror films I love are older ones anyway, from the 70's to the late 80's, so I have no choice but to watch them at home anyway. Plus, the first real horror film I saw was Alien. I watched it on an old black and white TV in a musty old apartment late at night while a howling windstorm blew outside. Perfect.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
hoytereden wrote:The first film that scared the you-know-what out of me was The Thing From Another World that I saw at my Aunt's house during a summer in the late '50s. Watched it late at night after she went to bed. It didn't help matters that this was on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Good times!

Vegetable farm?

Actually it was in southern Maryland and was a Tobacco farm! :o I remember being terribly confused while watching the movie because at every commercial break the announcer would say "We'll return in a minute to The Thing starring James Arness." Now this was at a time when Gunsmoke was hugely popular and being a preteen who loved westerns I knew who Marshall Dillon was but try as I might I couldn't spot him anywhere! :? Later I would find out that he was the title role. Also, the fact that Arness was not particuarly proud of the fact that he played such a part in his pre-star days he didn't go out of his way to acknowledge it.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Return to Movies