Marvel Films Discussion Thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Marvel Films Discussion Thread

Postby HGervais » Sat May 28, 2011 12:18 am

I don't know. Perhaps Vaughan is giving himself an out but I've seen three reviews and they pretty much read like this one. And it's running at 100% at Rotten Tomatoes with 16 reviews, so who knows? At first blush it sure looks like he beat the odds.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:08 pm

I find it difficult to put into words just how awesome this retro style poster for Captain America is.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 pm

HGervais wrote:I find it difficult to put into words just how awesome this retro style poster for Captain America is.

It's so awesome I'd buy a house with more rooms to find space to put it up....please, please, please, please, please, please, please, put this up for sale Marvel, I'd buy it in a freaking heartbeat!! And most likely buy several as backups in case anything happened to it!
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Jim_Thomas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 am

That retro poster is just stunning.

Think of the money they could raise by auctioning off a mounted and framed copy signed by the cast.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 am

This will be mine!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Cap will be the best movie in history if they can find a way to keep up the hype while never actually releasing it. It would be like the myth of Jerry's racing prowess. (You're welcome for the gratuitous Seinfeld reference in the midst of a thread about Marvel super heroes.)
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:09 pm

The Wolverine has a Director

joblo,com wrote:Marvel's adamantium-laced anti-hero has been slowly clawing his way through development for a sequel, but THE WOLVERINE finally has a director.

Deadline says that James Mangold (3:10 TO YUMA, COP LAND) will sharpen Hugh Jackman's fist-knives for the movie, which is set almost entirely in Japan and follows the popular 80s comic story pitting Logan against a ninja clan. Christopher McQuarrie (THE USUAL SUSPECTS) penned the script.

Mangold (whose last movie was KNIGHT AND DAY) was on Fox's recent wish-list of possibilities to replace director Darren Aronofsky, who departed the project a few months back.

Filming is expected to start in the fall, which means the finished film could conceivably carve up theaters next summer.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Steve T Power wrote:The Wolverine has a Director

joblo,com wrote:Marvel's adamantium-laced anti-hero has been slowly clawing his way through development for a sequel, but THE WOLVERINE finally has a director.

Deadline says that James Mangold (3:10 TO YUMA, COP LAND) will sharpen Hugh Jackman's fist-knives for the movie, which is set almost entirely in Japan and follows the popular 80s comic story pitting Logan against a ninja clan. Christopher McQuarrie (THE USUAL SUSPECTS) penned the script.

Mangold (whose last movie was KNIGHT AND DAY) was on Fox's recent wish-list of possibilities to replace director Darren Aronofsky, who departed the project a few months back.

Filming is expected to start in the fall, which means the finished film could conceivably carve up theaters next summer.

A solid choice and, provided Mangold is left alone/supported as much as Mathew Vaughn was on First Class, we might get a film as strong as the one we just recieved.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby JoshRode » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:37 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:The Wolverine has a Director

A solid choice and, provided Mangold is left alone/supported as much as Mathew Vaughn was on First Class, we might get a film as strong as the one we just recieved.

Yeah, that's a pretty nice pedigree. I'm almost kind of looking forward to a Wolverine movie again.
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby JoshRode » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:48 am

Nathan Fillion sent out this tweet: Hanging w college buds. One says, "...like when you were Capt Mallory." The other, "I liked when you played Cable." Dudes.

Can you picture Nathan Fillion as Cable?
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:12 am

JoshRode wrote:Nathan Fillion sent out this tweet: Hanging w college buds. One says, "...like when you were Capt Mallory." The other, "I liked when you played Cable." Dudes.

I think the person meant to type "Caleb," the character Fillion played on Buffy. But as for playing Cabel...to be honest, why not? Cabel was never a terribly interesting character in the comics to start with, so reinventing the character to be playable by Fillion could only actually make the character more interesting than he is! ;)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:39 am

Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:33 am

I'm doing everything I can to keep my expectations are a reasonable level but that trailer is pretty awesome.
HGervais
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Steve T Power wrote:New Captain America Trailer is here - and it's AWESOME!

Ok, now how long till the "America! F__ Yea!" remix?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Entirely.

In related news, can we get The Rocketeer on friggin' Blu-ray already?
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:11 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
JoshRode wrote:Nathan Fillion sent out this tweet: Hanging w college buds. One says, "...like when you were Capt Mallory." The other, "I liked when you played Cable." Dudes.

I think the person meant to type "Caleb," the character Fillion played on Buffy. But as for playing Cabel...to be honest, why not? Cabel was never a terribly interesting character in the comics to start with, so reinventing the character to be playable by Fillion could only actually make the character more interesting than he is! ;)

Y'know, that's a good point. Plus, I'd be happy to see Fillion in just about any role. To paraphrase Clark Douglas, he could play former President Jimmy Carter and I'd totally watch.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

Entirely.

I'll buy two copies if that'll help.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:13 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

Entirely.

I'll buy two copies if that'll help.

Heck, I'll take it on Netflix streaming. I'd be happy if someone in the HD content distribution biz would just acknowledge that the flick exists and that it's fantastic.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:28 am

JoshRode wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:

Y'know, that's a good point. Plus, I'd be happy to see Fillion in just about any role. To paraphrase Clark Douglas, he could play former President Jimmy Carter and I'd totally watch.

Make that President Taft and I'm in!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:19 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

Entirely.

Very quite agreed on both points indeed.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Marvel sets "Thor 2" for July 26, 2013; Chris Hemsworth returns, but Kenneth Branagh is out as director: http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/marvel-and-disney-sets-thor-2-for-summer-2013-kenneth-branagh-wont-return/.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:54 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Marvel sets "Thor 2" for July 26, 2013; Chris Hemsworth returns, but Kenneth Branagh is out as director: http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/marvel-and-disney-sets-thor-2-for-summer-2013-kenneth-branagh-wont-return/.

Oh dear. Depending on who they get to replace Branagh, that might spell trouble.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Let's not worry people. Branagh did a very good job but it isn't like there aren't a lot of other, very good directors to chose from. Everyone scratched their head when they signed Branagh in the first place. Have a little faith and wait & see how this plays out. If I had to pick one director I would go with Alfonso Cuarón. If I could pick two, I'd add Brad Bird to the list. Three? Return back to Mathew Vaughan who was originally slated to direct the first one.
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 am

HGervais wrote:Let's not worry people...
Yes, do worry. Don Payne ("Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," "My Super Ex-Girlfriend") tapped to write script for "Thor 2": http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/thor-2-to-be-scripted-by-don-payne/. :o
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Eh. Still not worried. Both Super Ex & Fantastic Four came out of Fox where a screenplay is more often than not a suggestion rather than what they shoot. Let the process move along and what I saw this morning said Roos was hired to work on the script, not write the actual screenplay. And on top of that, a director is not in place yet and once that happens the screenplay will have another set of hands. Way too early to get nervous about anything.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:42 pm

13 minutes of Alan Silvesti's score for Captain America is up for your listening pleasure right here..
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:14 am

HGervais wrote:13 minutes of Alan Silvesti's score for Captain America is up for your listening pleasure right here..

Just enough bombast mixed with a healthy dose of tense beats, some Saving Private Ryan-esque moody bits, and of course some "rah! rah!" patriotism. I like. Very fitting.

!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby azul017 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:27 am

I don't understand some fans crying foul with Don Payne coming back for Thor 2. He co-wrote the solid first one, and if production has anything to say about it, it'll get rewritten by another pair of writers once a director is attached. Not worried at all.

And all the CA stuff is fantastic. The new trailer, score clips -- the movie had better live up to expectations.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:08 pm

azul017 wrote:I don't understand some fans crying foul with Don Payne coming back for Thor 2. He co-wrote the solid first one, and if production has anything to say about it, it'll get rewritten by another pair of writers once a director is attached. Not worried at all.

And all the CA stuff is fantastic. The new trailer, score clips -- the movie had better live up to expectations.

Cap can't possibly live up to its hype at this point. Everyone needs to find a way to lower their expectations before it's too late.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 pm

If the reviews for CA are lukewarm, mixed, or outright bad -- I'll temper my expectations then.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:48 am

azul017 wrote:If the reviews for CA are lukewarm, mixed, or outright bad -- I'll temper my expectations then.

I honestly think the trailer does a pretty solid job of portraying the film, much like Thor and X-Men: First Class did. I've got a pretty good idea of what exactly to expect given the trailer, the director, and the material.

I'd wager there's about a 95% chance that if you dug the trailer, you'll dig the flick
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Jon Mercer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
HGervais wrote:13 minutes of Alan Silvesti's score for Captain America is up for your listening pleasure right here..

Just enough bombast mixed with a healthy dose of tense beats, some Saving Private Ryan-esque moody bits, and of course some "rah! rah!" patriotism. I like. Very fitting.

!

The Rocketeer meets Raiders and hires The A-Team. Makes modern actions scores sound like a slow ride to Grandma's house. This reminds me of being nine years old and watching Cliff Secord roll the Gee-Bee out onto the runway for the first time. I like it.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 pm

http://io9.com/5820598/read-the-insane- ... n-williams
Thank god this never got made, it's script that ex-Marvel honcho Jim Shooter cranked out infour days for a proposed Dazzler movie....can you just imagine the...shudder....horror that this would have been?!?

Then again, it might have beaten out Flash Gordon in the Cheesiest CrapFest Hero Flick Ever Committed To Film Award....
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 am

Dunnyman wrote:Then again, it might have beaten out Flash Gordon in the Cheesiest CrapFest Hero Flick Ever Committed To Film Award....

Don't you badmouth Flash Gordon! DON'T YOU BADMOUTH FLASH GORDON!

::sob::
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:Then again, it might have beaten out Flash Gordon in the Cheesiest CrapFest Hero Flick Ever Committed To Film Award....

That's right! He's the defender of the universe! He'll save every one of us! He's a miracle!
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 am

JoshRode wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

That's right! He's the defender of the universe! He'll save every one of us! He's a miracle!

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Flash Gordon, as I loooove cheesy crapfests, but it's overwhelming lack of....Academy love was for a pretty good reason...:-) Good flick to have a few beers though and do your MST3K thing to though....and the soundtrack is forever etched in my eardrums. FLASH! AH-AAAAH!!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 am

Curse you all! Now I have to listen to the Flash Gordon soundtrack on repeat for the next month to get it out of my head! ;-)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Not sold on the need for a Spider-Man reboot and still not sold on the costume but I'm getting used to that. EW has nine new pictures up and I have got to say, me likie the web-shooters.
HGervais
Judge

Postby azul017 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am

The pictures are nice. But I hate the suit... with a passion.

Should The Amazing Spider-Man be the best Spider-Man movie (and that'll be a long shot), I'll still complain about the suit.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 pm

i still think the suit looks pretty fantastic. more like a super heroes duds. less like a movie prop.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Shield slinging! Must not get my hopes up.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:32 pm

It will probably get pulled soon and the quality is crap but The Avengers teaser trailer has been leaked.
HGervais
Judge

Postby azul017 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:08 pm

It looks great. I'll definitely be telling theater patrons about the teaser when they see Captain America this weekend.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:58 pm

Already gone. Ah well.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 pm

JoshRode wrote:Already gone. Ah well.

Comic Book Movie still has several working links:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=42030
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Dug it, though to be honest I will be more pumped to see a proper High quality version. Which I will, when I see Cap this weekend. Hurray!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 am

HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 pm

The Amazing Spider-Man trailer is now out in the wild.

Looks considerably less flashy than Raimi's outing, but I'm definitely feeling a bit of Deja Vu here.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby azul017 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Same here.

They said they're going to have Spider-Man tossing quips to the bad guys, but this feels like Raimi's first film remade by a David Fincher and Chris Nolan imitator. I do like Emma Stone and Rhys Ifans though.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Steve T Power wrote:The Amazing Spider-Man trailer is now out in the wild.

Looks considerably less flashy than Raimi's outing, but I'm definitely feeling a bit of Deja Vu here.

This one seems to have a good sense of the tone it's going for, even if it is riding the Batman Begins wave. Raimi's movies alternated between effective comedy and atrocious drama. If this script avoids emulating the awful dialogue of the Raimi flicks, I'll be a happy man. I'm optimistic.

Also, Andrew Garfield is exactly the right body-type for this. Oh, and he can actually act.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

PreviousNext

Return to Movies