Coen Brothers doing a musical biopic. Well, okay then!

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Coen Brothers doing a musical biopic. Well, okay then!

Postby BenShultz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Cue John Cleese's "And now for something completely different."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50165

Talk about throwing us for a loop. I love these guys.
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Re: Coen Brothers doing a musical biopic. Well, okay then!

Postby JoshRode » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:02 am

I'm having trouble imagining what that will look like, but I can't wait anyway.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Jim_Thomas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:51 am

At this point the Coens could adapt a cereal box and I'd be there to see it.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 pm

I just don't know....

I was hoping True Grit would mark a return to more accessible material. I like my Coens best when they play just on the fringes of mainstream.

Don't get me wrong, they're the most gifted and thoughtful artists in the medium today, but in recent years their quirks seem to be getting in the way of them telling a good goddamn story. True Grit notwithstanding of course.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I just don't know....

I was hoping True Grit would mark a return to more accessible material. I like my Coens best when they play just on the fringes of mainstream.
And how does anyone know how accessible or not this movie is going to be?

Don't get me wrong, they're the most gifted and thoughtful artists in the medium today, but in recent years their quirks seem to be getting in the way of them telling a good goddamn story. True Grit notwithstanding of course.
Again I don't know. No Country For Old Men seemed to do pretty well. A Serious Man was maybe the funniest thing they have ever made and True Grit was pretty damned awesome.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:22 pm

HGervais wrote:

Again I don't know. No Country For Old Men seemed to do pretty well. A Serious Man was maybe the funniest thing they have ever made and True Grit was pretty damned awesome.

How mainstream are musical biopics? My only worry is this isn't something they can really write the script for, and the writing is one of the keys to their success.

Also, people didn't seem to care for it, but I thought Burn After Reading was hilarious.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm

I seem to recall Ray & Walk the Line doing okay and really, a musical bio by the Coens is going to be way more interesting then either of those two movies. Providing of course this is anything close to a traditional bio movie...which of course we don't since it is in its earliest stages.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:44 am

HGervais wrote:

Don't mistake my comments for an attack on your beloved Coens Harold. I know how critically successful No Country... and A Simple Man were, but when my favorite films in the Coen library are Miller's Crossing, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Fargo, and True Grit, I'm sure you can understand where i'm coming from when I say that A Simple Man (which I freakin hated due to the utterly pathetic lead character - a pet peeve of mine), Burn after Reading and No Country really weren't what I like to see from my Coen flicks. I guess it all boils down to my love of Genre pictures, which, yeah No Country... definitely was, but I also found it considerably more dry, and considerably less eloquent than your typical Coen piece.

Now True Grit? That was a bonafide masterpiece.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby stypee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:43 am

Yeah, whatever, fine...

Yes, they are great filmmakers, no question there and I'm sure it'll be said that this will be a work of genius but for cry in out sakes, The Coen Brothers could poop in a large bowl for 2 hours and critics will praise it as one of the greatest poops ever filmed and written for the screen!

Don't say you disagree.. just sayin'
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 pm

They aren't my beloved Coens Steve. I'm just taking my usual you can't judge anything that hasn't been written, let alone had an inch of film shot stance on a movie.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am

HGervais wrote:They aren't my beloved Coens Steve. I'm just taking my usual you can't judge anything that hasn't been written, let alone had an inch of film shot stance on a movie.

And I do admire that about you. Unfortunately, my generation are a bunch of cynical losers.
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Movies