June 2011 Watching Thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: June 2011 Watching Thread

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:38 am

The New World (2005) - Gorgeous, lyrical, meditative - yeah it's a Malick film. It benifits from a heartbreaking, mesmerizing performance by Q'orianka Kilcher.I especially liked the fact that Malick decided to show events a thewy were happining, without historical forethought. The parrellell/opposition between the ''New World'' and the ''Old Europe'' is also a delight as is James Horner' score.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: June 2011 Watching Thread

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:The New World (2005) - Gorgeous, lyrical, meditative - yeah it's a Malick film. It benifits from a heartbreaking, mesmerizing performance by Q'orianka Kilcher.I especially liked the fact that Malick decided to show events a thewy were happining, without historical forethought. The parrellell/opposition between the ''New World'' and the ''Old Europe'' is also a delight as is James Horner' score.

While I prefer The Thin Red Line myself, I generally consider this one to be Malik's most well executed piece of work. It's a film that's gonna be remembered for sure.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Previous

Return to Movies