Brave

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Brave

Postby JoshRode » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Very short trailer, which you've probably seen. Looks gorgeous. The girl reminds me of the one in The Secret of Kells.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Re: Brave

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:23 am

I'm loving the concept, loving the art design, and loving the cast. Couldn't we have just skipped Cars 2?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:19 am

Nah, apparently they needed the money. :?
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 pm

To me the trailer shows Pixars biggest stumbling block, people. They can't make realistic people. Usually they avoid this by making caricatures. The girl just doesn't look right, which pulls me out of the story.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:01 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:To me the trailer shows Pixars biggest stumbling block, people. They can't make realistic people. Usually they avoid this by making caricatures. The girl just doesn't look right, which pulls me out of the story.

I'm sure, given the drive to do so, they could do people as well as anyone else in the digital animation game, more likely better. Pixar is all about their art style - they very much work in the medium of traditional animation, they just happen to use zeroes and ones instead of ink and paint. The reason their stuff looks stylized is because they want it to look stylized. I'm sure they could very easily create realistic looking humans, given a project that required such a feat. But why not just film live action then? It's not like they can't afford it, or that their production budgets aren't high enough.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Perhaps the style just isn't for me then. I see the girl more as a crude marionette with the hair glued to a fixed point on the scalp. I also felt the animation in UP was a bit a let down also though. I like "artistic" animation though. I'm not sure why Pixar's style doesn't suit me then.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Perhaps the style just isn't for me then. I see the girl more as a crude marionette with the hair glued to a fixed point on the scalp. I also felt the animation in UP was a bit a let down also though. I like "artistic" animation though. I'm not sure why Pixar's style doesn't suit me then.

That's a fair assessment. It's certainly not a lack of skill, talent, or resources on their part. Animation is like any other medium, some appeals, some doesn't - I'm not a huge fan of Myazaki's style for example.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 am

mkiker2089 wrote:To me the trailer shows Pixars biggest stumbling block, people. They can't make realistic people. Usually they avoid this by making caricatures. The girl just doesn't look right, which pulls me out of the story.

That's what I like the most, their people look like incredibly detailed....cartoons. They've never lost sight of the fact they're still being influenced by classic Disney and Warner Brothers animation, they just have some powerful tools to work with. Would Sully and Mike be that out of place next to Gossamer of WB fame? Had Chuck Jones the kind of tools Pixar has, I can imagine his work looking much the same. If I want super realistic animation, I'll watch whatever crapfest Zemeckis puts out next. Oh, wait, that's right, they shut his boring-ass studio down because while the animation was first rate, the stories sucked big time. Brave looks fascinating, I'll happily watch it.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Return to Movies