Boondock Saints

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Boondock Saints

Postby Dimwitted » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:00 am

Who is Michael Connolly? Billy Connolly's brother?

So, even if you didn't understand the hype, how was the movie? How was the transfer? Come on, we need more.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby cdouglas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:03 am

Dimwitted wrote:Who is Michael Connolly? Billy Connolly's brother?

So, even if you didn't understand the hype, how was the movie? How was the transfer? Come on, we need more.


I'm pretty sure Dave answered both of those questions in his review...

1. "The performances were manic and over-the-top, the action was frantic and unrealistic and the atmosphere, which blended dark humor and brutality, struck me as contrived. I liked the film, but in the end thought it was too proud of itself for being hipper than anything else, and it fell short of worshipful status."

2. "The 2.35:1, 1080p (AVC-encoded) transfer is decent, but not a world-beater. Details get some added zing thanks to the enhanced resolution and the boatloads of gore pop nicely enough. It is apparently the same transfer from the 2009 release, so don't expect much different if you already own that disc."
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I get a kick out of both Boondocks flicks. They're arse movies, and I know that they're arse movies, but there's just something about the "Irish-ness" of it all that hooks me. They're gleeful distractions. I also think the setup at the end of Boondock II would actually segue into this rumored TV series rather nicely.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby cdouglas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I get a kick out of both Boondocks flicks. They're arse movies, and I know that they're arse movies, but there's just something about the "Irish-ness" of it all that hooks me. They're gleeful distractions. I also think the setup at the end of Boondock II would actually segue into this rumored TV series rather nicely.


I kinda-sorta enjoyed watching the first one, mostly for the sheer oddness of Dafoe's performance. Still, the general sense of self-awareness that runs throughout the film kind of bugged me. Never watched the second one; too many reviews scared me away. Maybe I'll give it a look sometime.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:28 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:I get a kick out of both Boondocks flicks. They're arse movies, and I know that they're arse movies, but there's just something about the "Irish-ness" of it all that hooks me. They're gleeful distractions. I also think the setup at the end of Boondock II would actually segue into this rumored TV series rather nicely.


I kinda-sorta enjoyed watching the first one, mostly for the sheer oddness of Dafoe's performance. Still, the general sense of self-awareness that runs throughout the film kind of bugged me. Never watched the second one; too many reviews scared me away. Maybe I'll give it a look sometime.


I liked that it followed the first and basically emulates the same formula, but also feels like a true sequel set a full decade after the first and amps the ante accordingly. I honestly don't think they could have done any better - for better or for worse.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby MyJuliet » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Their ass movie, I know they are bottom of the film, but only on the "Irish" of all things that hook me. They ecstatic distraction. I also think that Boondock setting is actually the end of February this rumor television company itself Segue
MyJuliet
Law Clerk
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby erich » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:25 am

I couldn't even make it through half of the first movie. Possibly the worst screenplay of any movie people seem to actually like. If Troy Duffy wants to be racist and homophobic, he should just be racist and homophobic. Why force badly written characters to do his dirty work for him? And for a supposed ACTION movie, why ruin the fun of seeing set pieces unfold by telling the audience what happens before they see it. Terrible. I hate to be a poop head, but few movies have rubbed me in as many wrong ways.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
User avatar
erich
Judge
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:07 am

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby stypee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:31 am

I could never see this movie simply because of a documentary I saw on Netflix about the ass who wrote and directed it. I wish I could recall the title of the documentary. I have never witnessed a more arrogant and obnoxious prick as I have this guy. You literally want to jump through the screen and punch him in the face.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe


Image
User avatar
stypee
City Prosecutor
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:54 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Boondock Saints

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:44 am

stypee wrote:I could never see this movie simply because of a documentary I saw on Netflix about the ass who wrote and directed it. I wish I could recall the title of the documentary. I have never witnessed a more arrogant and obnoxious prick as I have this guy. You literally want to jump through the screen and punch him in the face.


It's called Overnight. I'll be honest, yes, Duffy was a doucheweasel, but he was also screwed horribly by the system. Couldn't help but feel at least a little bad for the guy.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA


Return to Verdict Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 0 guests

cron