Blade Runner tops sci-fi film poll

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Blade Runner tops sci-fi film poll

Postby Attrage » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: Blade Runner tops sci-fi film poll

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 am

One of my favorite films of all time, and in my opinion one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time. Star Wars has it's fans, and it's imitators, but Blade Runner had just as many, and single handedly established the look and feel of "cyberpunk".

Ridley's flick is deeply textured both from a design and a narrative standpoint, and packs more fine detail per second than just about any other film i've seen. It's lightning in a bottle.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby ppritchard » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I still remember seeing Blade Runner for the first time when I was about 10. I hated it. It was, to be frank, boring.

Thankfully time has a way of changing a man, and subsequent viewings have seen the film rise massively in my estimation, making me realize just how little I knew back then. The Final Cut Blu-Ray is amongst the most watched in my collection.

I can take or leave Star Wars, but am glad to see The Matrix is in the top ten (particularly after the sequels soured the franchise for many), and Inception.
ppritchard
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Where's Metropolis (1927) or Akira or Dark City or Gattaca or Close Encounters Of the Third Kind etc.?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Where's Metropolis (1927) or Akira or Dark City or Gattaca or Close Encounters Of the Third Kind etc.?

You have a point about Metropolis and Gattaca. Especially the former.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:35 am

I'm in the vast minority on Blade Runner, but I was bored both times I watched it. That being said, like PPrichard, I was young when I watched it the first time and not that much older the second. I have the blu on my "must watch sometime" list.

As for the rest of the list, I guess it's hard to argue more of it, but Avatar shouldn't be near the top 10.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Return to Movies