The Thing (2011) Trailer

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

The Thing (2011) Trailer

Postby mavrach » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:55 pm

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/25344

So what's everybody think?

I'm always skeptical of a remake or a sequel of course, especially when the original (well, the original remake) is so perfect. John Carpenter's The Thing is already so solid, I don't think anything will be able to compare. It'll be a nice little test to see Carpenter's practical effects holding up against what will likely inevitably be CGI in the new version, and I bet the original will still look better.

I do like the nods to the original The Thing From Another World, with the creature being transported in a block of ice, so it shows some respect to the source material.

I do fear that this prequel will have too much high-tech modern gadgetry that it will make for awkward comparison against Carpenter's version's then-modern tech (the chess computer?), or does the title (The Thing again??) suggest that this is a straight remake, or a continuation of the "reboot" trend?

Oh well, I'd be a hypocrite if I praised Carpenter's remake, then suggested that all remakes suck, so I'll have to keep an open mind here.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: The Thing (2011) Trailer

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:20 pm

i like that they're going the straight prequel with nods to what come before. im cautiously optimistic.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:07 pm

I see zero imagination in this trailer. What's the point of conceiving a prequel if you're just going to make a carbon-copy?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I don't understand - How is this a "prequel"? It looks like the same dam movie as 82's THE THING.

Regardless, it is loaded with romance and fantastic fun for the whole family!

" I can't wait!" says this film fan!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 am

Supposedly it's about the Norwegians who discovered The Thing, who eventually chased it to the base in the Carpenter version. Somehow they speak English now too.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Jon Mercer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:40 am

mavrach wrote:Supposedly it's about the Norwegians who discovered The Thing, who eventually chased it to the base in the Carpenter version. Somehow they speak English now too.

Because somebody was going to go to Universal and ask for $40 Million dollars to make a prequel to a 1980s cult horror movie, oh and by the way already skeptical producers, its all going to be in Norwegian.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Jon Mercer wrote:
mavrach wrote:Supposedly it's about the Norwegians who discovered The Thing, who eventually chased it to the base in the Carpenter version. Somehow they speak English now too.

Because somebody was going to go to Universal and ask for $40 Million dollars to make a prequel to a 1980s cult horror movie, oh and by the way already skeptical producers, its all going to be in Norwegian.

Yes of course. I bet the movie is going to turn out to be completely about English-speakers, aside from Olaf the pilot who takes his helicopter to chase down one escaped dog-moster while the rest of the team fights the main threat.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:03 am

mavrach wrote:
Jon Mercer wrote:

Yes of course. I bet the movie is going to turn out to be completely about English-speakers, aside from Olaf the pilot who takes his helicopter to chase down one escaped dog-moster while the rest of the team fights the main threat.

Oh, that Olaf.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 am

Steve T Power wrote:
mavrach wrote:
Jon Mercer wrote:

Oh, that Olaf.

Don't forget Sven. The guy who couldn't shoot worth a damn.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Jon Mercer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 pm

hoytereden wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
mavrach wrote:
Jon Mercer wrote:

Oh, that Olaf.

Don't forget Sven. The guy who couldn't shoot worth a damn.

I hope there's a scene where they tell Sven to never throw grenades with his slippery mittens on.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Jon Mercer wrote:I hope there's a scene where they tell Sven to never throw grenades with his slippery mittens on.

"I throw as God intended! With the water-resistant protection of GORE-TEX!" *conspicuously sips Mountain Dew*
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:I see zero imagination in this trailer. What's the point of conceiving a prequel if you're just going to make a carbon-copy?
Exactly. The film looks good, slick, and polished, but nothing in the trailer suggests a different take on the material. Might as well go full van Sant and do a shot for shot remake.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby stypee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:18 am

Well, all I've seen is the trailer and it still looks like what Carpenter did, maybe that's the angle they are going for to sell the flick, I don't know but I still don't get how it's a prequel.. I hope it has what I've always thought as one of my favorite shots of all time (it was done by Hawks and re-created by Carpenter as well, even though he was ripping him off or doing a homage, I just love the way Carpenter did the shot) where the team is standing around, almost appearing as if they're holding hands perfectly symmetrical from each other, there is just something about that historic composition that's always impressed me.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies