Any good places online to get PAL discs?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Any good places online to get PAL discs?

Postby stypee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Being that I just went through all that...

I usually buy from dvddiablick or whatever the hell it's called and the prices are kind of "eh" and the selection is getting "meh" so I'm looking around for places I oddly can't find anything, I keep coming up with these bizarre Asian outlets and bootleggers... I hate Hong Kong flicks..

Any sites you can suggest? Reasonable prices? Delicious selections? Fantastic Shipping? Glorious Customer Service?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: Any good places online to get PAL discs?

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 am

Amazon.co.uk
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 am

Steve T Power wrote:Amazon.co.uk

There are two companies I shop with for multi-region discs, yesasia.com and amazon.uk.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 am

I'm new to R2 importing but so far the four-five transactions I've done have been a charm through amazon.com uk. When there's a good deal (like the Lone Wolf & Cub Box Set for under $19 shipped a few days ago) amazon uk can't be beat, but the super-rare or off-the-beaten-path stuff is either too expensive or not available. YMMV but so far no complaints.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:12 am

And it's too bad you don't like asian movies since they are in the same regional code, at the least blu rays are, as the US and Yes Asia is a great little company. The movies almost always feature English subs but the downside is the extras are usually not subtitled. I'm not a big fan of the asian style of behind-the-scenes so that is a wash for me but it would be nice to have subs on the commentaries.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby stypee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm

With amazon.uk, is there a whole conversion thing you have to go through to make a purchase or can it be made in American dollars?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 pm

It's done automatically (and there's an option at Checkout to switch between US dollars or the UK currency but I've never used it) with the credit/debit card you've highlighted in your account. Having a calculator handy to get the exact US price isn't mandatory but it helps a little. I've used my US-opened amazon account and US checking account; amazon UK is as simple as the regular amazon, only with lengthier delivery (a week instead of the two days I'm used to) and the need to pay extra attention to the shipping options to make sure you don't accidentally hit a 'Next Day' or uber-expensive delivery option (the default one is usually the better one but there's no set price for shipping; most of the Box Sets I ordered ran me about $5 for the regular week-long shipping). Shoot, when you confirm your purchases in Checkout the price of the item ordered usually drops a few quid/bucks because, since it's an international transaction, the VAT tax on the price of a listed item doesn't apply and comes down (about 8%). Wait 'till something comes up that you want at an obscenely low price, save it to cart and then pounce with a regular amazon account; the rest should be self-explanatory as you go along.

I was as afraid as you when I ordered a rare Melville movie from France (also with my US amazon account but with the language barrier added to the confusion) and look at me know: knee-deep in 'Shogun Assassin' and Mikio Naruse R2 imports but without an import player to watch them. :cry: ;-)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:39 am

Yeah I've been all over the damn Amazon map.

Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr for R2 movies and Blu-Rays (that AWESOME Battle Royale Blu set was my most recent purchase)
Amazon.dk for Playstation 3 games that didn't come out locally for another 6 months or so (or never did in one case)
Amazon.jp for Music CDs
and .com and .ca of course for whatever the hell.

All on the one account.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to DVD