Logitech Revue / Google TV anyone

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Logitech Revue / Google TV anyone

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 am

Anyone use this? The Revue has been given a new MSRP of 99 dollars so now it's actually tempting. I know it runs Netflix and Pandora as well as a full web browser.

So far the first store to list at the new MSRP is Amazon and they are selling out fast. I ordered one as a Netflix player and I can gift my Roku to someone else depending on which I like more. The absence of Hulu Plus is a problem with the Revue but we'll see how it all shakes out.

edit- I put this in the movie section because the device to me is to watch movies and TV. I thought it might get lost in the OT section.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: Logitech Revue / Google TV anyone

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am

Since posting that I was informed that Tiger Direct has lowered the price to 99 as well and has them in stock. I'm sure other online stores will follow suit eventually. There are none locally for me so I had no choice in that area.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 am

Ehhh....not convinced yet. Roku's subscription based a la carte sports is the better deal to me. Plus Hulu AND Amazon on Demand? Keep going though, this kind of tech gets cooler every minute.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby JoshRode » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:32 am

Might have been interested if I didn't have a PS3 that does all that and more. But I'm with Dunnyman: keep developing stuff, people.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 pm

The Revue has Amazon but it's web based. I'm told it's easy enough to get Hulu but it doesn't count since it's a violation of their TOS. I only count above board access.

I think the problem with the revue is simple. People don't want a cable companion. People are either going away from cable or embracing it with a DVR and package content. It's between two markets and not really embracing either.

Also Logitech is a little vague on what the Revue does. It's actually a fair STB or more exactly a low powered home theatre PC. They claim you NEED cable to use it but that's just because it gets a Tivo style guide and has the ability to cut the HDMI feed coming in to browse. You don't need cable however as it functions well on the internet alone and really to me cable would have no benefit. I'm told it has a better Netflix interface than the Roku. It's supposed to use the same tech as the PS3, Wii, and Roku 2 with 5.1 surround sound, subtitles, and adaptive speed streaming.

Anyway, I ordered one so in a week or so I'll let you know what I think. Worst case scenario it gets moved to a second TV or gifted to someone as a Netflix / Facebook box (my niece is addicted to Facebook.)
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Movies