The MOST INSANE Remastered Uber Deluxe Box-Set EVER

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

The MOST INSANE Remastered Uber Deluxe Box-Set EVER

Postby stypee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:49 am

I know it's about music but it's got a load of DVD'S in it as well.... also some really kewl sunglasses... It would be nice if they'd give the fans a little bit of mercy (despite this edition's limited edition status)
and make it at least a touch affordable, they do have enough money... and they DID make what they spent back (and than some) from the 360 tour...so that's no excuse.

btw.. how much does this translate in American dollars?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Achtung-Baby-20 ... 78&sr=1-14

Here's whats in the UBER-BOX set according to U2.COM...

A limited, numbered Uber Deluxe Edition is a magnetic puzzle tiled box which will contain: 6 CDs including the original Achtung Baby album, the follow-up album, Zooropa, B-sides and re-workings of previously unheard material recorded during the Achtung Baby sessions. 4 DVDs including 'From The Sky Down', 'Zoo TV:Live From Sydney', all the videos from Achtung Baby plus bonus material. There will also be 5 clear 7" vinyl singles in their original sleeves, 16 art prints taken from the original album sleeve, an 84-page hardback book, a copy of Propaganda magazine, 4 badges, a sticker sheet, and a pair of Bono’s trademark 'The Fly' sunglasses.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: The MOST INSANE Remastered Uber Deluxe Box-Set EVER

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 am

And Achtung Baby isn't even all that great!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby erich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Steve T Power wrote:And Achtung Baby isn't even all that great!

It's like you and I live in parallel-yet-opposite universes and the Internet is the portal between them...
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:26 pm

erich wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:And Achtung Baby isn't even all that great!

It's like you and I live in parallel-yet-opposite universes and the Internet is the portal between them...

Which of us is Bizarro though? U2 fell hard after Rattle and Hum for me. Their whole "artistic deconstruction of mass media" was just... stupid. Yes, I'm one of those "Joshua Tree was their greatest moment and everything that came after was bunk until All that You Can't Leave Behind" people.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby erich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:38 pm

I would agree that Rattle and Hum falls flat, but Achtung is still my favorite album. Not that there's much of their stuff that I flat-out hate.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
erich
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 pm

erich wrote:I would agree that Rattle and Hum falls flat, but Achtung is still my favorite album. Not that there's much of their stuff that I flat-out hate.

Rattle and Hum is what it is... No idea why there's so much backlash against what is essentially a "side project" rather than a full blown album, Achtung Baby was just too much of a knee-jerk response to me. It was U2 turning their back on the work that made them what they were, and thusly their fanbase, just so they could thumb their noses at the mass media and their labelling of the band as "pretentious".

Mysterious Ways is still a pretty kick ass tune though.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby erich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
erich wrote:I would agree that Rattle and Hum falls flat, but Achtung is still my favorite album. Not that there's much of their stuff that I flat-out hate.

Rattle and Hum is what it is... No idea why there's so much backlash against what is essentially a "side project" rather than a full blown album, Achtung Baby was just too much of a knee-jerk response to me. It was U2 turning their back on the work that made them what they were, and thusly their fanbase, just so they could thumb their noses at the mass media and their labelling of the band as "pretentious".

I wasn't aware enough in 1991 to care about fan backlash. I just liked the pretty music.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
erich
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 pm

That's about 630 dollars. I can't imagine wanting to spend that much money on anything U2 related. I like some of their songs and am apathetic to their personalities but man that's a nice chunk of change.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Well, when I was growing up I was a massively obsessed U2 fan (the way I am now with R.E.M.), I was so insane that I was dressing up like Bono from Rattle and Hum. Looking back on it, I looked ridiculous. When I'd walk past some dudes during lunch they'd scream "waiter!", that's how bad.. I had the black pants, the white shirt, the black vest, the hat and the infamous top hat or whatever the hell that hat was. I won't even begin to tell you the boots I was walking around in which later I was dubbed "boots".

Any hoo.. Looking back at Rattle and Hum and now that I'm MUCH older, that really was the start of the band's SUPER prentiousnes, they started earlier of course but they just got dam right self righteous during the whole Hum record.

Like everyone else, I skipped over the first track "Van Diemands Land", seriously, wtf was that about? Looking further there are some really good songs on the record and I still get a little goosebumpy when I hear "Pride" as silly as that sounds, though they could have done without some of the other live cuts.

The film, well, I was a kid, they were my idols so than I loved it. Now... eh... I'm pretty sure there's a GREAT concert film there,, somewhere. I know there's hours upon hours of footage (I had a bootleg once of like 3 or 4 hours worth) that just got tossed away.. I will say that when the do the remaster of Hum, I'd hope they'd do something REALLY BIG with the film.

Side note: The B-SIDES from "Hum" are freaking awesome.. Their cover of "Everlasting Love" at the time was a hard one to get, I remember traveling into Manhattan just to get the single with the B-SIDE on it.

Now.. as for ACHTUNG..

Bono stated himself when the record came out and there is footage of it everywhere (I am misquoting) "Yeah, well, we will lose a few of those Joshua Tree fans but who needs em?" Again, not a direct quote... As obnoxious as a statement it was, I really get what he was saying.

The band has evolved. i love the fact that they were daring enough to just go with a whole different angle. I dug the "mass media" message, in essence it's more relevant now than it ever was. The album (for me) was infectious... I remember when "The Fly" was released very vividly... One of my fav. lyrics of all time.. Ironically, I've never been all that much a fan of "One"..

If you really think about it, their journey into new terrain actually worked better for the fans. How much more crazy ass "save the...." can we get? I suspect this would be a great excuse for them now to go BACK to their roots.

now, as for ZOOROPA on the other hand......

(love the first track, actually just listened to it in my car, only other tracks i like is "daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car" and "numb" the rest is just, well, it's I don't know..)
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:22 pm

My concern with box sets like this is the value. To a U2 fan who wants to study their history it's great. It really is a lot of swag also so I'm a bit hard pressed to haggle over the price.

On the flip side however I could by the MP3s of all their songs on Amazon digital for less money that that.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Hopefully I won't have to take out a loan and one of the 5 configurations for this set allows me also receive the re-mastered Zooropa, which is one of my favorite U2 albums.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 am

erich wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

I wasn't aware enough in 1991 to care about fan backlash. I just liked the pretty music.

Well, I'll be honest, in 1991 I was too busy listening to Anthrax's Persistence of Time, Metallica's Black Album, and Megadeth's Rust in Peace to give much thought to U2, but I did have The Joshua Tree on CD (it was a gift with my first CD player, given by my uncle) and was a huge fan - it was the disc i popped in when no one else was around. Wasn't until college when I really started non-metal acquisitions and soaking up all of the rock and pop that I'd missed out on by being a full on metalhead since about the 4th grade.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby stypee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 am

To add insult to injury, more of an insult, this UBER DELUXE BOX SET is going to sell for $660.19... I am not exaggerating.. Seriously U2? You don't have ENOUGH money???
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:44 pm

$660.00?
stypee wrote:Here's whats in the UBER-BOX set according to U2.COM...

A limited, numbered Uber Deluxe Edition is a magnetic puzzle tiled box which will contain: 6 CDs including the original Achtung Baby album, the follow-up album, Zooropa, B-sides and re-workings of previously unheard material recorded during the Achtung Baby sessions. 4 DVDs including 'From The Sky Down', 'Zoo TV:Live From Sydney', all the videos from Achtung Baby plus bonus material. There will also be 5 clear 7" vinyl singles in their original sleeves, 16 art prints taken from the original album sleeve, an 84-page hardback book, a copy of Propaganda magazine, 4 badges, 2 x2 hour sessions with a prostitute personally chosen by The Edge, a sticker sheet, and a pair of Bono’s trademark 'The Fly' sunglasses.

Fixed!
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:00 pm

stypee wrote:To add insult to injury, more of an insult, this UBER DELUXE BOX SET is going to sell for $660.19... I am not exaggerating.. Seriously U2? You don't have ENOUGH money???

considering the exchange rate when I made my previous post that isn't too far off. I'm glad those in the USA didn't get hit with a much higher price.

However I still have trouble buying this. Assuming I loved U2 I'd buy their CDs. If I loved them just a bit more than I do now I'd buy their songs in digital format picking the best only. I'd have to be really totally bonkers for U2 to buy this set, and I just don't see too many people being that bonkers especially in a tight economy. Obama claims the recession is over, but this still isn't the time of wanton excess that we had in the 80s.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 pm

What you fail to realize is luxury items in this country are flying off the shelves. If you are in the top 2% of this nation, you are, and have been doing really, really well. I don't find it difficult to believe that this item, priced as it is, will have no problem finding homes with well-to-do U2 fans.
And stypee, the question isn't does U2 has enough money, it's how much money is a devoted U2 fan willing to spend on it and that the high ticket price is actually a selling point for a lot of them.
HGervais
Judge

Postby stypee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:07 am

HGervais wrote:What you fail to realize is luxury items in this country are flying off the shelves. If you are in the top 2% of this nation, you are, and have been doing really, really well. I don't find it difficult to believe that this item, priced as it is, will have no problem finding homes with well-to-do U2 fans.
And stypee, the question isn't does U2 has enough money, it's how much money is a devoted U2 fan willing to spend on it and that the high ticket price is actually a selling point for a lot of them.

I buy the UBER SPECIAL EDITIONS from every the two bands I love dearly, the second being R.E.M. of course. I own the UBER EDITIONS of THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE[/b] and[b] THE JOSHUA TREE as well as the EXCLUSIVE AMAZON BOX SET of the first 3 albums, the 2% of the population that can afford this set can have it, I probably would buy it if I were in that percent bracket but if I were using my brain in that 2% I'd NOT buy it only on principle.

(For the record, I have the highest of the UBER box sets for Joshua Tree and Fire, frankly, Joshua Tree deserved far more UBER treatment..)
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to DVD