August '11-What did you buy?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

August '11-What did you buy?

Postby hoytereden » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Just a couple of bargin Blu-rays at our new Target store:
U-571
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: August '11-What did you buy?

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Toshiba Satellite L735-S3220 13.3" Notebook Computer (w/built-in BD drive)
Pioneer DV-220KV Multi-System DVD Player
Coming Home
(five bucks)
Cinematic Titanic LIVE: Danger on Tiki Island
Cinematic Titanic's Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks
Cinematic Titanic's Legacy of Blood
Cinematic Titanic's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:16 pm

Ironclad - Holy AWESOME!
Conan The Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Rio
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 am

Steve T Power wrote:Conan the Destroyer

My condolences.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:11 am

I shouldn't be buying crap but what the hell, I'll be dead soon anyway...

Tron Legacy Blu-Ray I couldn't find the edition with the first one, I really want that as well.

Arthur 2011 - Cause I'm retarded, that's why.

Shogun Assassin 30th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray - I had no idea this made it to Blu and can't wait for the cheese to arrive in the mail, it's been YEARS since I've experienced its greatness!

The Godfather/The Godfather II (Double Feature Coppola Restoration) Blu-Ray - I'm not a fan of the "double feature" releases of any movie, I just feel it cheapens the whole thing, however, in this case I'll make the exception dammed if I'll pay for freaking Godfather III (yeah, it had it's moments but I still consider it a complete sell out, sorry, I just feel that way).

Starcrash Blu-Ray - Roger Corman and the HOFF in the HIZZ-OUS!

Giallo - I'm expecting it to be as bad as I've read it's supposed to be. I'm just required to see all and every Argento film ever made...
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

My condolences.

LMFAO - All I remember from this great film was the bizarre scene that had something to do with mirrors.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

My condolences.

Here's the deal: In the early 80s, I wasn't quite 10 years old, and the Conan and Savage Sword of Conan funnybooks were like some kind of unheralded awesomeness. The fact that my mother and father were pretty liberal with what I could read and watch meant I could sit down with dad and watch shit like Conan the Barbarian, which was boring as hell to a six year old, and I promptly went back to using Duke and Snake Eyes to kick Destro's ass. When I saw Conan the Destroyer, I was a few years older, and it hooked me right off the get go. Being written by the same guy responsible for the Marvel books I was so fond of, it felt more farmiliar I guess, and being a less arty, more comedic romp, it appealed to my pre-pubescant sensebilities. I watched that flick (and Red Sonja) about 60-70 times before I saw Barbarian again and realized how much freaking better it is, but I'll always have a soft spot for Conan The Destroyer. Kinda like Dave and Willow (though I love that one too).
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 am

An American Werewolf in London on blu for cheap.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby stypee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm

HGervais wrote:An American Werewolf in London on blu for cheap.

Awesome-sauce!

Would it be shameful of me to admit that I actually liked the sequel?

commence your stone throwing,.... now!
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:32 pm

MST3K Collection Vol. XXI: MST3K Vs. Gamera (through the Verdict's Umbilicon... I mean, amazon link, naturally! :D)

That's it for me for a while. Between July and the first four days of August I blew more money buying stuff than I recall. Time to, you know, actually watch some of this stuff. :o :?
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 pm

stypee wrote:

I never saw it....which is kind of odd since I was and am a huge Julie Delpy fan and around that time I thought she was just about the hottest woman on the planet. Speaking of....where the hell are mky blu-rays of Before Sunrise & Before Sunset and where the hell is the third film I keep seeing mentioned every couple of years? And speaking of John Landis...I still think there is a good movie somewhere in Innocent Blood.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby stypee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:50 pm

HGervais wrote:
stypee wrote:

I never saw it....which is kind of odd since I was and am a huge Julie Delpy fan and around that time I thought she was just about the hottest woman on the planet. Speaking of....where the hell are mky blu-rays of Before Sunrise & Before Sunset and where the hell is the third film I keep seeing mentioned every couple of years? And speaking of John Landis...I still think there is a good movie somewhere in Innocent Blood.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

My condolences.

Here's the deal: In the early 80s, I wasn't quite 10 years old, and the Conan and Savage Sword of Conan funnybooks were like some kind of unheralded awesomeness. The fact that my mother and father were pretty liberal with what I could read and watch meant I could sit down with dad and watch shit like Conan the Barbarian, which was boring as hell to a six year old, and I promptly went back to using Duke and Snake Eyes to kick Destro's ass. When I saw Conan the Destroyer, I was a few years older, and it hooked me right off the get go. Being written by the same guy responsible for the Marvel books I was so fond of, it felt more farmiliar I guess, and being a less arty, more comedic romp, it appealed to my pre-pubescant sensebilities. I watched that flick (and Red Sonja) about 60-70 times before I saw Barbarian again and realized how much freaking better it is, but I'll always have a soft spot for Conan The Destroyer. Kinda like Dave and Willow (though I love that one too).

I'm with Steve on this one. I saw both Conans when I was about 10. Barbarian bored the hell outta me, Destroyer was thrilling. These days, Barbarian is the far superior film to me and the one I re-watch more often, but I still have fond memories of Destroyer and indeed own the DVD. And there's the fact that I'm also quite shallow and the sight of Olivia D'Abo in that skimpy outfit is still just as great to me now as it was when I was ten.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 pm

This August I finally got Incepted
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby JoshRode » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:23 am

HGervais wrote:
stypee wrote:

They were going to make a sequel but couldn't find a good name for it. ("Before Sun Zenith? Nah.") ;)

I just realized Delpy played the same character in all three of the "Color" movies. I don't recall any of them having characters in common, so I guess I wasn't paying very close attention.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:36 am

Attrage wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

My condolences.

I'm with Steve on this one. I saw both Conans when I was about 10. Barbarian bored the hell outta me, Destroyer was thrilling. These days, Barbarian is the far superior film to me and the one I re-watch more often, but I still have fond memories of Destroyer and indeed own the DVD. And there's the fact that I'm also quite shallow and the sight of Olivia D'Abo in that skimpy outfit is still just as great to me now as it was when I was ten.

What a difference 4 years make. Conan the Barbarian came out when I was 12. I'd already been reading the Robert E. Howard stories, and even though Milius' version of the character is quite different, my friends and I were gobsmacked by the bloody violence throughout as well as the movie's general sense of badassery. Conan the Destroyer hit theaters when I was 14. I went in expecting a proper sequel to the first movie (I should've known better, given the PG rating). It was, seriously, one of the most disappointing theater-going experiences of my youth (if not the most disappointing).
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Attrage wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

My condolences.

What a difference 4 years make. Conan the Barbarian came out when I was 12. I'd already been reading the Robert E. Howard stories, and even though Milius' version of the character is quite different, my friends and I were gobsmacked by the bloody violence throughout as well as the movie's general sense of badassery. Conan the Destroyer hit theaters when I was 14. I went in expecting a proper sequel to the first movie (I should've known better, given the PG rating). It was, seriously, one of the most disappointing theater-going experiences of my youth (if not the most disappointing).

It's not the four years, it's the ages in question. By 14 I was noticing things like directors and writers and what not. When I was 10 I didn't give a shit.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I Saw the Devil
La Belle et la Bête
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
The Pianist
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:I Saw the Devil
La Belle et la Bête
Wonder Woman
The Pianist

Even though I read mixed reviews of the quality of the Blu-ray for Beauty and the Beast it seems fine to me. I recently purchased:
Tron Legacy (Blu-ray)
Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Blu-ray) Must they always have such epic sounding titles??
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:48 pm

hoytereden wrote:Even though I read mixed reviews of the quality of the Blu-ray for Beauty and the Beast it seems fine to me.

I don't know what people expect from a 1946 French production that was soft to begin with. The grain and contrast are improved, and detail is as sharp as can possibly be expected.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:45 am

hoytereden wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:I Saw the Devil
La Belle et la Bête
Wonder Woman
The Pianist

Even though I read mixed reviews of the quality of the Blu-ray for Beauty and the Beast it seems fine to me. I recently purchased:
Tron Legacy (Blu-ray)
Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Blu-ray) Must they always have such epic sounding titles??

They're just named after the books. "The Horse and His Boy" is pretty much the only non-epic-sounding title in the series.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Even though I read mixed reviews of the quality of the Blu-ray for Beauty and the Beast it seems fine to me.

I don't know what people expect from a 1946 French production that was soft to begin with. The grain and contrast are improved, and detail is as sharp as can possibly be expected.

As someone who has gone from the original Criterion dvd, to it's reissue, and finally the Blu ray, I agree.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 pm

today i came home with
Being Human S1
Princess and the Frog
Igor

and a used copy of
Crimson Rivers SE which i basically bought for the commentary track.

Royal suckage now that all the netflix discs have no features
it's basically a big FU from the studios.
This is also one of the reasons i hang on to my DVDs of film that are easily findable streaming
are we going to evolve to a disc less format where NO films have features?
or are they going to figure out how to make commentary tracks available streaming?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Blockbuster had a 5 for $20 on used Blu-rays:
Nine
The Social Network
The American
The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

They also had the 3 disc version of Avatar (new) for $12.99!
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:43 am

Natural Born Killers (digibook)
JFK (Digibook)
Shawshank Redemption (Digibook)
There Will be Blood (not a digibook)
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby alexwagner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 am

[Rec] 2
alexwagner
Paralegal

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:26 pm

What is best in life? Conan the Barbarian.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:What is best in life? Conan the Barbarian.

There comes a time, Canuck, when the 1080p ceases to sparkle, when the DTS-HD loses its thunder, when the home theater becomes a prison, and all that is left is a nerd's love for a badass John Milius flick.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

There comes a time, Canuck, when the 1080p ceases to sparkle, when the DTS-HD loses its thunder, when the home theater becomes a prison, and all that is left is a nerd's love for a badass John Milius flick.

I will contemplate this on the tree of woe.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:00 pm

three James Whale films
Wives under Suspicion 1938
Sinners in Paradise 1938
The Great Garrick 1937

and
RED
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Brick
Cul-de-sac
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

There are few things more amusing than reading that when John Milius was told the Walter Sobchak character in Big Lebowski was based on him, he responded that he was quite flattered and thought it was a pretty accurate representation of his personality. Priceless.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:48 pm

Kubrick's The Killing on Criterion blu-ray.
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:31 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:Toshiba Satellite L735-S3220 13.3" Notebook Computer (w/built-in BD drive)
That's it for me for a while. Between July and the first four days of August I blew more money buying stuff than I recall.

Fell off the wagon again... hard!

HP Touchbad (32 Gig) Tablet - I just bought a laptop after talking myself out of needing a tablet, but the firesale prices (and potential for Honeycomb/Ice Cream/Windows 8 hacks) were too tempting. I'm so damn weak! :D
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - The Sixth Year (Box Set)
Law & Order - The Fourth Year (Box Set)
$12 each through amazon (and thus the verdict's links) 8)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3) - UK Limited Collector's Edition. I've spent a few hours with a preview build, and this would easily be my primo choice for game of 2011 if Skyrim wasn't right around the corner. Had to have the lavish PS3 collector's edition with 8-inch action figure and extra goodies, because that's how I roll.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:48 am

Do UK games have regional coding?
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am

HGervais wrote:Do UK games have regional coding?

On Playstation 3? No.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Cool. Thanks. My brother's birthday is coming up and he is a big gamer, so maybe there you go.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 pm

HGervais wrote:Cool. Thanks. My brother's birthday is coming up and he is a big gamer, so maybe there you go.

They also get some pretty lavish collector's editions that we don't see here. I've imported a few.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Just put in an order for the Wake in Fright import.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:12 pm

A River Runs Through It blu ray. Not a single trout harmed during production!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I have a free copy of Casablanca en route from WB Shop.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:24 pm

I received a very late birthday present in the form of the Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection on blu-ray and the Coen Brothers Collection (Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona) on blu-ray is on the way.
HGervais
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 am

For research purposes, I ordered Gymkata and Psycho Kickboxer. To restore my sanity, I also pre-ordered Castle Season 3.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:04 am

JoshRode wrote:For research purposes, I ordered Gymkata and Psycho Kickboxer.

If you ordered through an affiliate of the Old White Man Cabal, the discs come with a complimentary case of scotch.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
JoshRode wrote:For research purposes, I ordered Gymkata and Psycho Kickboxer.

If you ordered through an affiliate of the Old White Man Cabal, the discs come with a complimentary case of scotch.

Glenlivet, I hope?
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Cinematic Titanic's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians[/b]

How does it stack up against the legendary MST3K version?
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 pm

^^^ I'll let you know when I watch it back-to-back with the original "MST3K" version (sometime in Sept.). :)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to DVD