25 Biggest Box-Office Bombs (Adjusted for Inflation)

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

25 Biggest Box-Office Bombs (Adjusted for Inflation)

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:24 pm

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/the-25-biggest-box-office-bombs-of-all-time-adjusted-for-inflation.php

The following list of box-office bombs is based on the amount of money the film lost. The worldwide box-office grosses are subtracted from the production cost, distribution, and marketing costs, where available.

The numbers in parenthesis indicate how much money the films lost in 2011 dollars.

25. Hudson Hawk ($78 million)
24. Beloved ($79 million)
23. Ishtar ($80.4 million)
22. Around the World in 80 Days (2004) ($80.7 million)
21. Gigli ($81 million)
20. The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle ($83.1 million)
19. Soldier ($83.6 million)
18. Monkeybone ($86.6 million)
17. Red Planet ($86.9 million)
16. The Postman ($87 million)
15. Treasure Planet (2002) ($86 million)
14. Raise the Titanic (1980) ($90 million)
13. Inchon ($95 million)
12. Battlefield Earth ($96 million)
11. Supernova ($98 million)
10. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within ($104 million)
9. Heaven’s Gate ($110 million)
8. Speed Racer ($110 million)
7. Town and Country ($120 million)
6. The 13th Warrior ($132 million)
5. Mars Needs Moms ($136 million)
4. Sahara ($140 million)
3. The Adventures of Pluto Nash ($141.1 million)
2. The Alamo (2004) ($141.8 million)
1. Cutthroat Island ($142 million)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: 25 Biggest Box-Office Bombs (Adjusted for Inflation)

Postby Attrage » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow given my love of cheese I’m shocked I haven’t seen more of these. I know box office takings doesn’t necessarily mean a film is good or bad, but those that I have seen I think are cool movies (with a couple of exceptions):

Hudson Hawk, Around the World in 80 Days, and Sahara, I found all these enjoyable. The Postman and Battlefield Earth were pretty appalling. Final Fantasy suffered from Misleading Name Syndrome - too many people were expecting an adaptation of the video game series. As a film unto itself I think it’s pretty cool. (as an aside, the actual film adaptation of the video game – Final Fantasy – Advent Children, is a horrendously confusing mess of a film for anyone who is not well-versed in the FF video game mythology).
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:43 pm

I recall seeing three of them and ironically enough I liked all three.

Around the World in 80 Days failed because it had no press. It wasn't a great movie but I remember being a Jackie Chan fan at the time and kept an eye out for it. Even with all that the movie seemed to just be dumped on the theatre and dropped. Either Disney predicted it would bomb and thus fulfilled their own prophecy or they knew it would be a bomb and cut their loses. I imagine the reality is somewhere in between.

Final Fantasy was a good enough movie but I'm not sure the market for it exists. Gamers often don't watch game movies. Budget issues were also a factor in why this was a bomb also. the movie did well enough for an animated feature marketed at teens.

Monkeybone also suffered from it's budget. It's a good movie and if they could have made it for less and sold it as a popcorn flick it would have been seen very differently.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Attrage wrote:Wow given my love of cheese I’m shocked I haven’t seen more of these. I know box office takings doesn’t necessarily mean a film is good or bad, but those that I have seen I think are cool movies (with a couple of exceptions):

Hudson Hawk, Around the World in 80 Days, and Sahara, I found all these enjoyable. The Postman and Battlefield Earth were pretty appalling. Final Fantasy suffered from Misleading Name Syndrome - too many people were expecting an adaptation of the video game series. As a film unto itself I think it’s pretty cool. (as an aside, the actual film adaptation of the video game – Final Fantasy – Advent Children, is a horrendously confusing mess of a film for anyone who is not well-versed in the FF video game mythology).

Sahara is one of the best "straight up" action vehicles of this generation for me, totally unfair what Cussler did to that poor production. Were there any Justice we'd be on our third or fourth Dirk Pitt adventure by now.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 pm

I remember Squaresoft (don't remember if they had bought Enix yet) investing heavily in Hawaii; building a studio complex and all, expecting Spirits Within to launch all sorts of projects and Oahu being their North American branch.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within would've performed better if it simply weren't named Final Fantasy. It has a few themes in common with the games, but is as removed from the games as each game is to each other. It's a completely new plot. I think non-gamers were turned off because they assumed it would be another Mortal Kombat just out of ignorance about games.

I always had a soft spot for Red Planet, so close to being a good movie but dropped the ball in some key areas.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Return to Movies