Criterion For November

The wonderful world of high-def

Criterion For November

Postby HGervais » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:27 pm

They had me at the Three Colors Trilogy. Then thay had me at Rushmore. Then they had me again at Fanny and Alexander. Then they had me once more with Twelve Angry Men....please, please give me The Pawnbroker soon. Rules of the Game? Hell yes. And then an Eclipse set featuring Sabu? Here is hoping B&N stays true to form and has another Criterion sale in November.

#16/The Rules of the Game-Jean Renior
Restored high-definition digital transfer
Introduction to the film by Jean Renoir
Audio commentary written by film scholar Alexander Sesonske and read by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
Version comparison: side-by-side analysis of the film’s two endings, and an illustrated study of Renoir’s shooting script
Selected-scene analysis by Renoir historian Christopher Faulkner
Excerpts from Jean Renoir, le patron: La Règle et l’exception (1966), a French television program directed by Jacques Rivette

Part one of Jean Renoir, a two-part 1993 BBC documentary by David Thompson
Video essay about the film’s production, release, and later reconstruction
Jean Gaborit and Jacques Durand discuss their reconstruction and rerelease of the film
Interviews with Renoir’s son and assistant cameraman Alain Renoir, set designer Max Douy, and actress Mila Parély
Written tributes to the film and Renoir by J. Hoberman, Kent Jones,Paul Schrader, Wim Wenders and others
Improved English subtitle translation
Plus: A booklet featuring writings by Sesonske, Renoir, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Bertrand Tavernier, and François Truffaut

#65/Rushmore-Wes Anderson
New high-definition digital transfer of the director’s cut supervised by director Wes Anderson
Audio commentary by Anderson, cowriter Owen Wilson, and actor Jason Schwartzman
The Making of “Rushmore,” an exclusive behind-the-scenes documentary by Eric Chase Anderson
Max Fischer Players Present: Theatrical “adaptations” of Armageddon, Out of Sight, and The Truman Show, staged for the 1999 MTV Movie Awards
Episode of The Charlie Rose Show featuring Anderson and actor Bill Murray
Cast audition footage
Wes Anderson’s hand-drawn storyboards, plus a film-to-storyboard comparison
Props, posters, behind-the-scenes photos, and other graphic ephemera
Original theatrical trailer
Collectible poster
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Dave Kehr

#261/Fanny and Alexander Box Set-Ingmar Bergman
High-definition digital restorations of the television and theatrical versions of Fanny and Alexander
High-definition digital restoration of Ingmar Bergman’s feature-length documentary The Making of “Fanny and Alexander”
Ingmar Bergman Bids Farewell to Film, a sixty-minute conversation between Bergman and film critic Nils Petter Sundgren recorded for Swedish television in 1984
Audio commentary on the theatrical version by film scholar Peter Cowie
A Bergman Tapestry, a documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
Costume sketches and footage of the models for the film’s sets
Stills gallery
Theatrical trailer
Optional English-dubbed soundtrack for the theatrical version
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by documentarian and film historian Stig Björkman, novelist Rick Moody, and film scholar Paul Arthur

#587/The Three Colors Trilogy-Krzysztof Kieślowski
New high-definition digital restorations (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray editions)
Three cinema lessons with director Krzysztof Kieślowski
New interviews with composer Zbigniew Preisner; writer Krzysztof Piesiewicz; and actors Julie Delpy, Zbigniew Zamachowski, and Irène Jacob
Selected-scene commentary for Blue with actress Juliette Binoche
Three new video essays, by film writers Annette Insdorf, Tony Rayns, and Dennis Lim
Kieślowski’s student short The Tram (1966) and his fellow student’s short from the same year The Face, which features Kieślowski in a solo performance
Two short documentaries by Kieślowski: Seven Women of Different Ages (1978) and Talking Heads (1980)
Krzysztof Kieślowski: I’m So-So . . . (1995), a feature-length documentary in which the filmmaker discusses his life and work
Two multi-interview programs, Reflections on “Blue” and Kieślowski: The Early Years, with film critic Geoff Andrew, Binoche, filmmaker Agnieszka Holland, cinematographer Sławomir Idziak, Insdorf, Jacob, and editor Jacques Witta
Interviews with producer Marin Karmitz and Witta
Behind-the-scenes programs for White and Red, and Kieślowski Cannes 1994, a short documentary on Red’s world premiere
Original theatrical trailers
New and improved English subtitle translations
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Colin MacCabe, Nick James, Stuart Klawans, and Georgina Evans, an excerpt from Kieślowski on Kieślowski, and reprinted interviews with cinematographers Sławomir Idziak, Edward Klosinski, and Piotr Sobocinski

#591/Twelve Angry Men-Sidney Lumet
New high-definition digital restoration (with uncom­pressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Frank Schaffner’s 1955 television version, with an introduction by Ron Simon, director of the Paley Center for Media Studies
“Twelve Angry Men”: From Television to the Big Screen, a video essay by film scholar Vance Kapley comparing the Sidney Lumet and Schaffner versions
Archival interviews with Lumet
New interview about the director with writer Walter Bernstein
New interview with Simon about television writer Reginald Rose
New interview with cinematographer John Bailey in which he discusses cinematographer Boris Kaufman
Tragedy in a Temporary Town (1956), a teleplay directed by Lumet and written by Rose
Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by writer and law professor Thane Rosenbaum

Eclipse Series 30: Sabu!
In the thirties and forties, the Indian actor known as Sabu (born Selar Shaik) captured the hearts of moviegoers in Britain and the United States as a completely new kind of big-screen icon. Sabu was a maharaja’s elephant driver when he was discovered by documentary trailblazer Robert Flaherty, who cast him as the lead in Elephant Boy, a Kipling adaptation Flaherty directed with Zoltán Korda that would prove to be enormously popular. Sabu went on to headline a series of fantasies and adventures, transcending the exoticism projected onto him by commanding the screen with effortless grace and humor. This series collects three of the lavish productions Sabu starred in for the British film titans the Korda brothers: Elephant Boy, the colonialist battle adventure The Drum, and the timeless Jungle Book.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Criterion For November

Postby cdouglas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:33 am

An amazing month of releases. I need all this stuff.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby erich » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:01 am

Is there a "director's cut" of Rushmore that's different than the Criterion DVD release?
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Fanny and Alexander and The Rules of the Game are day one purchases for me.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 pm

erich wrote:Is there a "director's cut" of Rushmore that's different than the Criterion DVD release?

Yep. The director's cut is brand new. My understanding is that the release will include the theatrical cut as well.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby BenShultz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

My god, I must have the Rules of the Game cover art as a poster.
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Return to Blu-ray