Rise of the Planet of the Apes

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Postby mavrach » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Has anybody else seen this yet?

This movie is a shadow of the original Planet of the Apes. But if the criteria for a good movie were whether it was better than Planet of the Apes, there wouldn't be many good movies out there would there??

The movie was pretty much by the numbers, no real surprises. This may be attributable to the fact that most of the plot developments were in the damn trailer! It did a good job of keeping a pace that built up to the finale, which was pretty freaking awesome. It also sets itself up for a sequel and a start of a new series. Taken as a series reboot, this movie works. But for me it just makes me want to see the original again.

This might almost be a side-topic, but why does every reimaging feel the need to drop so many references to the original classic? Hearing "get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape" again just takes you out of the current movie and does nothing. It doesn't honor the old movie to just regurgitate a beloved line, it just comes as awkward. And Tom Felton is barely a modern-day William Zabka, so it does us no good to hear him attempting Charlton Heston lines.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Return to Movies