"AHH, GHOST!!!" (2011 WATCHING THREAD)

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: "AHH, GHOST!!!" (2011 WATCHING THREAD)

Postby HGervais » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:28 pm

The Big Lebowski on blu-ray....well, that was a mixed bag. Color & saturation were very good but the image has been DNR'ed something fierce. Waxy faces and a lack of detail abound. For the most part it is better looking than the DVD but I can't help but feel Universal dropped the ball again on another key catalog title.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby azul017 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Machete - Watching it again, I still had a blast with it. It knows it's an exploitation flick, the actors know it is, and everyone revels in it. I know some of you guys don't like the political slant it takes -- but that goes with the territory. I would love to see R. Rodriguez do two more Machete films than the puketastic kiddie movies like Spy Kids and Shorts!.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am

Dan Mancini wrote:Conan the Barbarian (2011)
I'm too tainted by nostalgia to say that it's better than Milius' movie, but it's undoubtedly a closer adaptation of Robert E. Howard's writings. Is Momoa a better Conan than Schwarzenegger? No doubt about it. There are shots where he looks like a Frazetta painting brought to life. He handles the dialogue just fine (people complaining that the movie sounds too "modern" are just wrong-footed by the fact that the actors aren't throwing around bad British accents, but British accents are no less incongruous in the Hyborian age than American accents, so who cares?). And his fighting is pure awesome. There's nothing martial artsy about whatsoever. It's raw, brutal, and not at all constrained by fairness or decency.

The thing I was most worried about going in was that the flick would be a nightmare of bad CGI, but Marcus Nispel uses technology well throughout (mostly). There are CG enhancements to traditional shots, for sure, but they're mostly subtle and believable. More than anything, he uses CG to do what it does best: replace old school matte paintings. He does a good job of keeping it out of the action scenes. The scene in which Conan fights the sand dudes? The transitions where they form from or collapse back into sand are CGI (as you'd expect), but during the actual fighting it's all stunt men in make-up, as it should be.

Is the movie flawed? Definitely. There are more than a few clunky moments (Conan's birth chief among them). I wish they hadn't lifted the revenge plotline from Milius' movie. And there's an entire action set piece that's essentially a non sequitur (Conan and another dude spend 10 minutes breaking into the bad guy's castle, only to watch him parading away outside the castle walls). Also, as much as Ron Perlman makes a fantastic barbarian chieftain (and he does), the entire beginning of the movie is redonkulous in how fervently it tries to establish young Conan's badass credentials. The whole thing borders on self-parody until the switch to Momoa as Conan.

If you're a Conan fan, you should dig it. Just don't go in expecting an action opus on the level of Ironclad or 13 Assassins.

I'm pretty much in the same camp. I really enjoyed it, despite several flaws. Overall, I think Nispel grasped how to translate the essence of Howard's stories into cinematic terms. Like you said, it's often like a Frazetta painting come alive.

I have to take issue with your suggestion that those of us thinking it sounded too modern are merely thrown by the lack of British accents in a historical setting. That's not the issue. After all, we aren't dealing with history. Moreover, I had no problem with Perlman's American accent or McGowan's, nor with James Earl Jones in Milius' flick. The problem is that the language of fantasy stories like this inspired by classical writing, biblical translations and the like. The language is filled with grand statements, free of contractions. It demands enunciation, round tones and a deliberate rhythm. Momoa is a fantastic Conan most of the time but, when things quiet down, he delivers lines in flat, rushed spurts that sounds like he's playing at a Ren Fair. There are British actors who have the same problems with fantasy dialogue, though they tend to be fewer and farther between.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Stoney » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 pm

I don't want to sound like Selk

Selk is my cousin. I thought it might be worth mentioning that he lost his battle with cancer on April the 5th of this year. He was 39 years old.
Stoney
Law Clerk

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm

^^^ :o So sorry to hear that. Man, cancer sucks. 39 is too young to go (I'm 38). :(
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:19 am

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
A remarkable achievement--an R rated horror film with almost zero scares or sense of dread. The only jolt I experienced came from a flash of lightning. How Ebert gave this 3.5 stars (which sent me running to the theater) is an utter mystery.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:56 am

TWISTER (1996) on HD-DVD. The perfect movie to watch overnight while Hurricane Irene was pounding outside the window of my NYC studio apartment. ;-)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby JoshRode » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:20 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:TWISTER (1996) on HD-DVD. The perfect movie to watch overnight while Hurricane Irene was pounding outside the window of my NYC studio apartment. ;-)

Now if only 1996 Helen Hunt was there with you...
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Live and Let Die – not the most ridiculous Roger Moore Bond flick, but even for his first outing as our favourite British secret agent, it’s right up there in delivering a taste of the incredible silliness the Moore Bond films would become. Don’t get me wrong though, still a pretty enjoyable waste of two hours :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 am

Midnight in Paris - I'm not a Woody Allen fan by any means, but I was impressed. It's refreshing to see Owen Wilson doing something different than doing inane studio comedies, and both Rachel McAdams and Marion Cotillard shine. Beautifully photographed and it's nice to see Allen embracing stereo sound for once.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Mary and Max - Damn, that was actually quite good! And no way is it rated "G", that's gotta be an error.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Fistful of Dollars - re-watched this on Blu after reading the Leone chapter in "Horizon's West" by Jim Kitses, and have come away from a new respect for Leone's classic. Outside of that, it is still entertaining as hell.

Dick Tracy - after twenty one years, I still love it, love it, love it, love. And why wasn't Glenne Headly a bigger star?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 pm

The Red Shoes (1948) - So exquisitely photographed and the climatic 16 minute ballet sequence is a flawless exercise in cinematography, music, and editing. It's an intensely visual but poetic film, and something I wished Darren Aronofsky had used inspiration for Black Swan.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Previous

Return to Movies