What are you playing?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

What are you playing?

Postby Attrage » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm

What are you currently playing, and on what system?

On PC I am currently taking a trip down memory lane and completing a tour of duty as a Luftwaffe fighter pilot in Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe from 1991! It's amazing how engrossing this game is 20 years on!

On the PS3 I am playing through Call of Duty: World at War for the second time. I'm enjoying it, I've always longed for a good Stalingrad/Eastern Front set of missions in a FPS and this game certainly delivers on that. And the "storming the white beach at Peleliu" mission is as good, if not even better, than the famous "Omaha Beach" mission in Medal of Honor Frontline. (But I'd forgotten in World at War how often the Kiefer Sutherland voiced character screams "They're getting close!" that gets kinda irritating LOL)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:19 am

Two Worlds II - Euro style open world RPG sequel. Considerably better than the flawed low-budget original (that I still played a ton of). That last boss was one hell of a bitch to kill.

Dead Space - Trying to finish the first one before I move on to the second. Loved the first, but I only managed about half of it on original release due to the unholy life stealing monster that was Fallout 3.

In the multiplayer field:

Medal of Honor: Loving the hell out of this. Since the first extensive patch it's taken on a life of it's own, a far cry from the bastard offspring of Bad Company and Call of Duty that it was when it first launched.

Killzone 3: Multiplayer beta. Simply amazing stuff.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:31 pm

We should do this thread monthly!

Current Gen:

Like Steve, I just played through Dead Space, and now am into the sequel. This was my third time through the original, so this time I used my last save-game to play through again with all the weapons, and go for some trophies. Dead Space has become one of my favorite games on the PS3, a great horror game. You can probably get it for about $20 at this point, so you're crazy to pass it up if you haven't tried it yet.

I'm currently in Chapter 5 of Dead Space 2. I'm not as into it as I was the first game, probably because of the slight tonal shift and changes made since the last game. The talking and such aren't bad per se, just different and will take some getting used to.

Casual:
Downloaded Plants Vs. Zombies off PSN, and am loving it. Even my wife, who has zero interest in gaming, enjoys watching me play. I'm shocked that I'm playing it about as much as I am Dead Space 2. Worth the download IMHO.

Classic:
Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcade's Revenge SNES - Not the most solid game, but it holds some serious nostalgia for me. I had it when I was younger, and have never heard anybody ever discuss it anywhere. So when I saw it in the retro gaming store in my area, I had to pick it up.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 am

Finally took the wrapping off of Fallout: New Vegas and pretty much lost my weekend. Gonna go play more right now before work!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Medal of Honor (the Afghanistan one) - thought I'd give this one another playthrough this time on Hard as the single player campaign is woefully short. (Plus I have to have something to fill the FPS void while I wait for MW3 and Battlefield 3 to be released here)

I still can't get over how much this game KICKS FREAKIN BUTT. Even on Hard this game is way too short. I am hoping the Medal of Honor franchise has something else up its sleeve, sequel or whatever. I want MORE!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Attrage wrote:Medal of Honor (the Afghanistan one) - thought I'd give this one another playthrough this time on Hard as the single player campaign is woefully short. (Plus I have to have something to fill the FPS void while I wait for MW3 and Battlefield 3 to be released here)

I still can't get over how much this game KICKS FREAKIN BUTT. Even on Hard this game is way too short. I am hoping the Medal of Honor franchise has something else up its sleeve, sequel or whatever. I want MORE!

Yep, there's already been confirmation of a sequel - I hope they follow the "emphasis on realism" instead of "Nuke everything!" philosophy of the competition.

I'm currently into Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I must say it's one of my absolute favorite titles of this console generation. Freaking AMAZING work.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Attrage wrote:Medal of Honor (the Afghanistan one) - thought I'd give this one another playthrough this time on Hard as the single player campaign is woefully short. (Plus I have to have something to fill the FPS void while I wait for MW3 and Battlefield 3 to be released here)

Yep, there's already been confirmation of a sequel - I hope they follow the "emphasis on realism" instead of "Nuke everything!" philosophy of the competition.

I'm currently into Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I must say it's one of my absolute favorite titles of this console generation. Freaking AMAZING work.

Seriously? That is awesome news. Do you know of a release date? I reckon it’s a safe bet for a good game. The MoH franchise hasn’t let me down yet, from the first battle through the hedgerows in the Playstation 1 original, to the mind-blowing awesomeness of the “Belly of the Beast” mission in the 2010 MoH (still ranks as one of my all time favourite gaming moments – I had to wipe the damn SWEAT off my controller after finishing that mission). My only hope is that they make the single player campaign a bit longer this time.

I saw a review of the new Deus Ex the other night. My game budget is a bit limited at the moment but I might rent this one and lose a weekend on it.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Oh and I forgot...I am also completely and hopelessly addicted to this stupid game on my old Nokia phone...it's a Tetris-ish game called Nature Park, except you connect coloured dots instead of cubes. I started playing it while killing time waiting at the doctor and now I've become obsessed with beating my high score.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:39 am

Might have to tear up my Sony fanboy card - as Gran Turismo 5 did absolutely nothing for me, and I'm back in the loving embrace of Forza Motorsport 3. Sadly there's no Nissan GT-R, but i'll deal. Can't wait for the 4th iteration in October (And the TopGear infused Clarkson commentary on all of the vehicles).
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby The Butcher » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Two Worlds II - Euro style open world RPG sequel. Considerably better than the flawed low-budget original (that I still played a ton of). That last boss was one hell of a bitch to kill.

and cheap compared to the rest of the game...almost gave up, but perservered.

have you played the village builder yet? I was about to, then I got distracted by Deus Ex, and now I'm trying to finished Fallout3 and play a bunch of Renegade Ops before Dark Souls and Payday come out.....
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:21 am

The Butcher wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Two Worlds II - Euro style open world RPG sequel. Considerably better than the flawed low-budget original (that I still played a ton of). That last boss was one hell of a bitch to kill.

have you played the village builder yet? I was about to, then I got distracted by Deus Ex, and now I'm trying to finished Fallout3 and play a bunch of Renegade Ops before Dark Souls and Payday come out.....

Didn't mess with it really, as I always have something else waiting in the wings, the concept looked pretty awesome, if a little half baked.

Dark Souls... ohhhhh Dark Souls... Hoping to have that one by this time next week.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby The Butcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 am

Steve T Power wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Didn't mess with it really, as I always have something else waiting in the wings, the concept looked pretty awesome, if a little half baked.

Dark Souls... ohhhhh Dark Souls... Hoping to have that one by this time next week.

Well don't play it early! Actually I'm trying to avoid early media, but I just read about Beaconing Fires, and...I'm scared. Kinda felt like I got to the end of one of Maury's "Is it a man or a woman" episodes...and totally guessed wrong.
The Butcher
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:22 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Well don't play it early! Actually I'm trying to avoid early media, but I just read about Beaconing Fires, and...I'm scared. Kinda felt like I got to the end of one of Maury's "Is it a man or a woman" episodes...and totally guessed wrong.

Have you heard about what the development team has been doing to early players? The whole max powered black phantom invasions? VERY clever of them.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby The Butcher » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:42 am

Steve T Power wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Have you heard about what the development team has been doing to early players? The whole max powered black phantom invasions? VERY clever of them.

that's why I warned you about not playing early...what's truly sad/amazing is that people will really try to lay hands on early copies just for more punishment..
The Butcher
City Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!