WATCHING OCTO(pus' som)BER (attempt to count to) 2011 THREAD

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: WATCHING OCTO(pus' som)BER (attempt to count to) 2011 THREAD

Postby hoytereden » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 pm

molly1216 wrote:no internet for most of the day due to mother nature..
rolled out more dvds.... (internet streaming is not as reliable as having my own disc in hand)

Catwomen of the Moon
and Missile to the Moon - only JUST today figured out why these films exist. checked out the image gallery on these 'wade williams' discs. all the producers wanted to get close to these very curvaceous moon maidens - and i am sure many 12 year old boys. hence.. there were virgin women in skimpy outfits on the moon.

Val Lewton's Leopard Man and Seventh Victim , i find the Leopard Man truly horrifying...that first murder is most cruel. and Seventh victim is creepy..satan worshipers in Greenwich village? it would be another 2 decades before that was concept was exploited again.

The Ghost and the Darkness the ham handed creation of Michael Douglas' character has always bothered me because the real story was already good enough, but i can see WHY it was needed to get the film made. but damn that is still a most excellent film, and scary to boot...can't get over how the music just tops it off and i remember sitting in the dark watching the night hunting sequences and being truly creeped out.

Regarding The Seventh Victim-Funny that Hugh Beaumont's character was named Ward and was actress Jean Brooks related to Louise Brooks? The look she had was similar to that of Louise in the Pabst films.
I think The Leopard Man gets short-changed when looking at the whole body of Lewton films. I find myself drawn to it as well as a couple of other lesser Lewtons-Isle of the Dead and The Ghost Ship. And yes, that first murder is not only cruel but has a great jump out of your skin moment just before it occurs.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 pm

hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote:Val Lewton's Leopard Man and Seventh Victim , i find the Leopard Man truly horrifying...that first murder is most cruel. and Seventh victim is creepy..satan worshipers in Greenwich village? it would be another 2 decades before that was concept was exploited again.
Regarding The Seventh Victim-Funny that Hugh Beaumont's character was named Ward and was actress Jean Brooks related to Louise Brooks? The look she had was similar to that of Louise in the Pabst films.
I think The Leopard Man gets short-changed when looking at the whole body of Lewton films. I find myself drawn to it as well as a couple of other lesser Lewtons-Isle of the Dead and The Ghost Ship. And yes, that first murder is not only cruel but has a great jump out of your skin moment just before it occurs.
no i think it's cruel..before she ever gets attacked..having the little girl rebuffed by her mother and the store owner and belittling her fears is over the top.
and I can't even watch Isle of the Dead..am i the only one who fears getting buried alive by accident?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm

molly1216 wrote:and I can't even watch Isle of the Dead..am i the only one who fears getting buried alive by accident?

I think buried alive is one of those primal fears that most people are hardwired with. Molly have you seen the original Dutch The Vanishing? The final few moments of that film haunted me for years!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 am

Attrage wrote:
molly1216 wrote:and I can't even watch Isle of the Dead..am i the only one who fears getting buried alive by accident?

I think buried alive is one of those primal fears that most people are hardwired with. Molly have you seen the original Dutch The Vanishing? The final few moments of that film haunted me for years!

yes! it was great
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 pm

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote:Val Lewton's Leopard Man and Seventh Victim , i find the Leopard Man truly horrifying...that first murder is most cruel. and Seventh victim is creepy..satan worshipers in Greenwich village? it would be another 2 decades before that was concept was exploited again.
no i think it's cruel..before she ever gets attacked..having the little girl rebuffed by her mother and the store owner and belittling her fears is over the top.
and I can't even watch Isle of the Dead..am i the only one who fears getting buried alive by accident?

I agreed with you about the cruelty but the whole sequence from her scenes at home to her death is textbook Lewton- It just builds and builds suspense and that final thud on the door and then the blood....Masterful.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Previous

Return to Movies