Family Guy's 150th episode . . .

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Family Guy's 150th episode . . .

Postby Selk » Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 am

Maybe I missed the point, but the 150th episode was kind of a let down. First of all it was gross, then sadistic then it got all soft and squishy. That wouldn't have been a problem if any of this were funny but it wasn't.

Thoughts?
"Movies are suppose to be big - If they're not big, they're television"
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Re: Family Guy's 150th episode . . .

Postby Dunnyman » Mon May 03, 2010 3:10 pm

You got that right. I've been a big fan from the beginning, but other than the bantering about the sweater and Stewie foolishly using the cell phone, it was a huge letdown. It just wasn't funny. And while I always enjoy a good gross out, it went way too far. However, I can't expect what I used to as McFarlane's pimped himself to extremes with three shows, the live special, the Cavalcade of Comedy, guest appearances in other stuff, etc. Why don't they just can Cleveland because it's not working and go back to an extremely good American Dad and a solid Family Guy every week.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Selk » Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Could not agree with you more. Seth's comedy factory is running in three divisions right now, one is a dog, one is hit-or-miss and the other is underrated. The Cleveland Show stinks. Family Guy has lost it's footing. While it has some choice episodes, the past two seasons have been kind of spotty at best. And American Dad is one of the most underrated shows on television.

That 150th episode was all talk. And that wouldn't be so bad if it were funny. In the middle of the show, our satellite went out and my wife said "I think they just did a favor because this thing is a dog."
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Fri May 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I have to disagree. I thought the episode was brilliant! Sounds weird and probably unrelated but it sort of reminded me of Waiting For Godot meets well, that's where I'm trying to figure out how it all relates.

They tried something different from the norm of the show. Just Stewie and Brian talking, yes, they did go to far with the sickness of it all but I just found something refreshing about it. I was really moved by the ending as well...
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Selk » Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm

I have to disagree. I thought the episode was brilliant! Sounds weird and probably unrelated but it sort of reminded me of Waiting For Godot meets well, that's where I'm trying to figure out how it all relates.

They tried something different from the norm of the show. Just Stewie and Brian talking, yes, they did go to far with the sickness of it all but I just found something refreshing about it. I was really moved by the ending as well...

For me, that talking wasn't really the issue. It was the whole thing about Brian eating Stewie's poo and how long the episode spent just on that one joke. The conversation wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly funny either. Frankly, I just got kind of bored.
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun May 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes, it was the most moving episode of two opposite characters getting locked in together since "Fire" Season 4, 17 of WKRP in Cincinnati, or Family Ties when Mallory and Skippy were locked in the basement (Season 3, Epsidoe 1, "Here We Go Again") or maybe when Archie Bunker and Michael Stivic get stuck in a storeroom in All in the Family episode "Two's a Crowd" (Season 8, Episode 19) or Dawson's Creek in the Episode titled "Tao of Dawson" (Season 4, Episode 11) where Joey and Drue get locked in a closet . . .

There is even an episode of The Bob Newhart Show where Emily and Bob get stuck in a storeroom and miss the 1976 Bicentennial. So there is even a version of this same plot that you can make a fun drinking game.

Stypee, if you really want something genius featuring an infant with a large head and wanting to kill his mother, I suggest stepping away from the Family Guy crap and pick up this:

Unlike Seth McFatlane, Chris Ware is original, meaningful and innovative.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby Selk » Sun May 09, 2010 8:09 pm

when Archie Bunker and Michael Stivic get stuck in a storeroom in All in the Family episode "Two's a Crowd"

Yeah, that episode introduced me to a word that I still used to this day: Shoe-Booty! It is a word that I use in place of s**t when there are little ears around.
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 am

jcankerhuxley wrote:

Yes, it was the most moving episode of two opposite characters getting locked in together since "Fire" Season 4, 17 of WKRP in Cincinnati, or Family Ties when Mallory and Skippy were locked in the basement (Season 3, Epsidoe 1, "Here We Go Again") or maybe when Archie Bunker and Michael Stivic get stuck in a storeroom in All in the Family episode "Two's a Crowd" (Season 8, Episode 19) or Dawson's Creek in the Episode titled "Tao of Dawson" (Season 4, Episode 11) where Joey and Drue get locked in a closet . . .

There is even an episode of The Bob Newhart Show where Emily and Bob get stuck in a storeroom and miss the 1976 Bicentennial. So there is even a version of this same plot that you can make a fun drinking game.

Stypee, if you really want something genius featuring an infant with a large head and wanting to kill his mother, I suggest stepping away from the Family Guy crap and pick up this:

Unlike Seth McFatlane, Chris Ware is original, meaningful and innovative.

It has taken me over a year and I have to respond to this after gazing through past topics.

You are an arrogant douche - I have an opinion on a television episode and you have to respond to it like a pompous asshole... I'm sorry if I don't have the useless elitist knowledge your greatness.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:21 am

It has taken me over a year and I have to respond to this after gazing through past topics.

You are an arrogant douche - I have an opinion on a television episode and you have to respond to it like a pompous asshole... I'm sorry if I don't have the useless elitist knowledge your greatness.

Wow, it took you one year to come up with arrogant douche? Imagine what you could have done with TWO years!

I will admit, one of the best TV episode this year was the FG's "Back to the Pilot" episode. After nearly 200 attempts and several rehashes of Brian and Stewie adventures and numerous time / dimension travel jokes, they hit on something fresh. This is the episode where Brian and Stewie go back to the first episode and rip on various aspects of the show:

My favorite line was Brian referring to way Stewie was drawn in the first episode: "That's nothing, look at you. You look like a prize at some Mexican church carnival."

After 150 plus episodes, they finally got it right.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Return to Television