Skyrim on PS3

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Skyrim on PS3

Postby Attrage » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Hearing some troubling news on PS3 forums etc that the PS3 version of Skyrim becomes an “unplayable glitch-fest” once your save game file gets in the vicinity of 6-10MB.

Glitches range from minor framerate issues to total game-destroying freezes and corrupted save files that simply render the game unplayable.

Bethesda has released some tips for reducing the likelihood of this happening, like turning off the autosave option and clearing space on the hard drive.

I am about 9 hours into the game, and my save file is now hovering just below the 5MB mark. Given that I have not even gotten 10% into the game, it’s a certainty that my save file is going to creep into the red zone soon. I have pre-emptively turned off autosaves and I have loads of room on the hard drive. I’m not getting my knickers in a twist over it yet, I’ll keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes...

Seriously, despite Bethesda seemingly screwing over PS3 owners, I like the game enough that I’d actually consider buying an Xbox 360 just for this one game.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: Skyrim on PS3

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:48 pm

There have been patches coming, though not fast enough for some I know. The instances also depend on a few different factors, and some models of PS3 have been a-ok (Fellow BP host Kev is over 50 hours in and has had no problems).

If you DO experience issues:

- Turn off ALL autosave options on the game's settings menu - which means you'll have to be extra careful about saving manually.
- Wait for 30 days (in game - not real time)

you should be good to go until they patch the damn thing again.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:04 pm

21 hours in now, and no dramas at all. I turned off autosaves just in case. If I get any issues I'll try the 30 day wait thing.

Pardon my ignorance too, but can you tell me how do patches work on the PS3? I've never had to patch a game before...
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 am

Attrage wrote:21 hours in now, and no dramas at all. I turned off autosaves just in case. If I get any issues I'll try the 30 day wait thing.

Pardon my ignorance too, but can you tell me how do patches work on the PS3? I've never had to patch a game before...

If you're connected to the 'net via PSN, as soon as you fire up the game it will flash an update screen automagically.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:41 pm

^ That's what I thought...I'm not connected to PSN so I have to make do with the version of the game that I bought yeah?

Which is okay for now because I'm 28+ hours into the game, my save file is about 8 MB and the game is still running smoothly...*knocks on wood*
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:18 pm

This issue is starting to hit me. My save game is about 11MB now, and I must be 80 hours or so into the game. At most outdoor areas with a lot of NPC's, it's a ridiculous lag that I haven't seen since my PC gaming days. I'm going to try the above suggestions and will let you know how it goes.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby mavrach » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 am

I deleted two games, which freed up about 10GB (not that I was hurting for space in the first place), but that seems to have resolved my lag issue.

It's disappointing that they released such a buggy game, considering the work that went into the final product. I've also been following an Elder Scrolls Wiki for game tips and they've got a glitch list for every quest. I do have a couple of locked quests as a result (I have one where I have to talk to an NPC, but I've already talked to him so it won't let me proceed). But it says a lot about how great this game is if people continue to play despite the glitches. I normally wouldn't bother troubleshooting, I just keep playing nonetheless.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Return to Blast Processing!