Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby Attrage » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 am

Hi everyone, I need some brains on something.

Okay, so in Hellboy - the scene between Hellboy and Liz that begins at 1:19:19 on the dvd.

The scene ends with Hellboy saying to Liz, "I can promise you two things, one: I'll always look this good. And two: I will never give up on you. Ever."

What I'm looking for is simple. What does he mean by that? I mean, he could have said "I will never give up on us.", but instead he says "I'll never give up on you."

It's only one word of difference, but what is the meaning of what he says there? I mean, never give up on us, implies that he has hope they will end up together. What I am curious about is what he means by "you". Thoughts will be much appreciated! :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 am

Attrage wrote:It's only one word of difference, but what is the meaning of what he says there? I mean, never give up on us, implies that he has hope they will end up together. What I am curious about is what he means by "you". Thoughts will be much appreciated! :)


IT,s been a while since I've seen Hellboy but here's my guess: Hellboy only means that he'll always be there for her and have her back whatever happens. Since they're only friends at that point it would make little sense to say ''us'', especiallyconsiderinf how macho he is.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:53 am

The implication throughout the film is that Liz's powers have isolated her from other people, who fear her and think she's a freak. Hellboy is saying that she can trust him not to abandon her (there's a thematic purpose to her being pyrokinetic and him being fire-proof, you see).
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:55 am

Dan Mancini wrote:The implication throughout the film is that Liz's powers have isolated her from other people, who fear her and think she's a freak. Hellboy is saying that she can trust him not to abandon her (there's a thematic purpose to her being pyrokinetic and him being fire-proof, you see).

yes, it wasn't harped on in the movie, but you gotta remember that she kept checking herself into the sanitarium voluntarily..and presumably spent a LOT of years there obviously voluntarily as well. so she's self destructive and given up on herself many times..since she grew up with him, he's probably familiar with this.

Also he was thrilled that she came back to the BPR for herself and always put his feelings for her aside. changing the line to US..is very hollywood and slightly self serving..not something Hellboy is. he doesn't think their love together is the end all and be all the universe. yes he was jealous of someone else in her life, but if she was in his life and NOT involved with him, he'd be content with that.

this isn't childish love of romeo and juliet, with that line he is putting HER above himself and his feelings for her.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 am

molly1216 wrote:he doesn't think their love together is the end all and be all the universe. yes he was jealous of someone else in her life, but if she was in his life and NOT involved with him, he'd be content with that.

this isn't childish love of romeo and juliet, with that line he is putting HER above himself and his feelings for her.


This
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Call me simple minded if you will but I think we are all way overthinking this. Us, you, me, it's all the same really. Someone wouldn't really say in that context that they are giving up on them self. There it would only be logical to say you are / are not giving up one someone else, as that's who you are talking to. So as some have pointed out saying "give up on us" is not only cheesy, it's not logical. It would simply imply that the relationship is more important that the girl hence creating the grammatical mistake warranted.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Help with interpretations of a line in Hellboy

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 am

molly1216 wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:The implication throughout the film is that Liz's powers have isolated her from other people, who fear her and think she's a freak. Hellboy is saying that she can trust him not to abandon her (there's a thematic purpose to her being pyrokinetic and him being fire-proof, you see).

yes, it wasn't harped on in the movie, but you gotta remember that she kept checking herself into the sanitarium voluntarily..and presumably spent a LOT of years there obviously voluntarily as well. so she's self destructive and given up on herself many times..since she grew up with him, he's probably familiar with this.

Also he was thrilled that she came back to the BPR for herself and always put his feelings for her aside. changing the line to US..is very hollywood and slightly self serving..not something Hellboy is. he doesn't think their love together is the end all and be all the universe. yes he was jealous of someone else in her life, but if she was in his life and NOT involved with him, he'd be content with that.

this isn't childish love of romeo and juliet, with that line he is putting HER above himself and his feelings for her.


Thankyou so much for those thoughts Molly, that is so cool I never thought about it like that. You've helped me heaps, thanks again :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm


Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests