Not even on DVD yet

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Not even on DVD yet

Postby MovieAddict » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:20 am

Amazingly some movies have yet to make the transition to DVD let alone Blue Ray.

I wanted to buy the Jane Russell classic The French Line and was suprised to see its not even on DVD.

Walt Disney's Stowaway to the Moon also remains MIA.

Guess I'll keep having to waiting...youd think with the loss of Jane Russell this year though...interest would be sparked in rereleaseing some of her movies.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Re: Not even on DVD yet

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:40 am

Same old same old:

High Road To China - Crappy non-anamorphic foreign DVDs that look like they came from VHS don't count.

Split Second - Supposedly there's a decent German widescreen DVD out there...

1492: Conquest of Paradise - My old Aussie DVD looks pretty sharp, and has halfway decent extras, the German Blu-Ray looks like an upscaled DVD. Where the hell is this (awesome) flick?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby jcankerhuxley » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Its so close to New Years and Get Crazy is still not on DVD!

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Crazy-Malcolm-McDowell/dp/B00005JKQ7
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:43 pm

And one that may never be-Song of the South. :? I don't count the bootlegs.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Superfly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 pm

The one movie that's never come out on DVD that I want more than all others is "The Chicken Chronicles" starring Phil Silvers and Steve Guttenberg. Not because it's a great movie, but I was a senior in HS, working at KFC when this comedy came out in 77, so it brings back a ton of great memories.

My first post here, yay!
"You're all worthless and weak...drop and give me twenty!" ~ Douglas Neidermeyer
Superfly
Law Clerk

Postby mavrach » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Welcome!!

And did I Come in Peace ever hit DVD? That's another that I remember fondly, but may or may not survive the test of me growing up.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Superfly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:41 pm

mavrach wrote:Welcome!!

And did I Come in Peace ever hit DVD? That's another that I remember fondly, but may or may not survive the test of me growing up.

It's currently available as a 'manufactured on demand' dvd-r from amazon under the title Dark Angel. The only DVD-R I've bought from them is the new release of "Up The Creek", the quality of that was pretty darned good. Nicely packaged. (thanks for the welcome)
"You're all worthless and weak...drop and give me twenty!" ~ Douglas Neidermeyer
Superfly
Law Clerk

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Superfly wrote:
mavrach wrote:Welcome!!

It's currently available as a 'manufactured on demand' dvd-r from amazon under the title Dark Angel. The only DVD-R I've bought from them is the new release of "Up The Creek", the quality of that was pretty darned good. Nicely packaged. (thanks for the welcome)

I've bought several On Demand DVD's from Amazon, and have had excellent luck with all of them. No extras or really any packaging of note, but better than no DVD at all. Fitzwilly's now a treasured family favorite due to the fine folks at Amazon.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Holy crap!

SUPER DUPER OMG HOLY CRAP!

Scratch two off the list!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Holy crap!

You do know that The Boys in Company C had been out on DVD for three and a half years, right?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:44 pm

SUPER DUPER OMG HOLY CRAP!

Did you note the name of the releasing company?
Hen's Tooth Video?
Effin' brilliant.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Lisztomania
Johnny Guitar
Sam Raimi's Crimewave (it's supposed to be pretty bad but I still have to see it)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 am

Of Mice and Men (1978) -

Robert Blake version.....still only on VHS....

Les Miserable (1978) -

Starring Anthony Perkins and Richard Jordan *there is a bootleg available on Amazon, but no official version on DVD.
My favorite version...still only on VHS and the chopped version at that...
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 am

The Keep

Batman the 1960s television series (ok, not a film, but it counts!)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:

You do know that The Boys in Company C had been out on DVD for three and a half years, right?

didn't have a clue, Hen's Tooth Video is just so damned awesome at promotion.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Another one: LA Takedown
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Oh and as a side note, I want an edition of Black Christmas '74, WITH subtitles.
I have all three editions and they all have great and different special features but I want subtiltles dammit.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 pm

MEGAFORCE
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Stubby » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 am

Let It Be The Beatles
No doubt a best seller if its ever released -Is Paul McCartney holding this up?
Stubby
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:30 am

Let It Be ....is the last trump card in the deck for the Beatles...they remastered the CD's etc....there is precious little unreleased demos and such that are not already on bootleg..

They will clean up on Let it Be....I suspect it will be soon in coming as Im sure McCartney doesn't want to get too old before he presides over this project.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Superfly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:02 am

'Let It Be' paints such a dark portrait of The Beatles as they were disintegrating, that it's no surprise it hasn't seen the light of day yet. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if Mac himself was the reason it hasn't been released. But it IS a great document and should be set free.

A couple of other movies I'd love to have on DVD in the US are Wes Craven's 'Deadly Blessing' and the James Spader film 'Jack's Back'. Seriously, what's the hold up with the Craven film? It's been released in Germany and Austrailia, but not the US?
Superfly
Law Clerk

Postby hoytereden » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Last time I looked The Pubic Eye with Joe Pesci and Barbara Hershey was not available. Too bad since it was an interesting story based on the real life '40s photographer Weegee. I have it on laserdisc but it was a p&s transfer and, I thought, an ideal candidate for a DVD upgrade.
Another Barbara Hershey title Last Summer is also missing but I think it only got as far as a VHS release.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:50 pm

hoytereden wrote:Last time I looked The Pubic Eye with Joe Pesci and Barbara Hershey was not available. Too bad since it was an interesting story based on the real life '40s photographer Weegee. I have it on laserdisc but it was a p&s transfer and, I thought, an ideal candidate for a DVD upgrade.
Another Barbara Hershey title Last Summer is also missing but I think it only got as far as a VHS release.

http://www.amazon.com/Public-Eye-Universal-Vault/dp/B004LLIRQS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1329087045&sr=1-1

No idea if it is widescreen, but it is on disc!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am

hoytereden wrote:Another Barbara Hershey title Last Summer is also missing but I think it only got as far as a VHS release.

I've been waiting for that one as well. The majority of the movie was set in the Sunken Forest area of Fire Island, spent some fun times there as a kid. I'll bet Richard Thomas is holding up the release of this one, because it doesn't fit his John-Boy Walton image.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby Superfly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm

[quote="Superfly"]Wes Craven's 'Deadly Blessing' quote]

Finally this one came out on Scream Factory blu-ray. Looks great, the special features are ok, nothing too spectacular. Nice interview with Michael Berryman. I also picked up Ticks, another one I'd wanted for years on disc. No special features at all on that one.
Superfly
Law Clerk

Postby tucco » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:39 am

Well it's been a while and with all the new stuff coming out on BD it's amazing the ones I listed (and others) are still not out even in standard def.
The last time I posted on this thread I was concerned only with DVD, not BD. I have since made the transition to BD and I'm still waiting for OF MICE AND MEN (Robert Blake version) to make it on disk of any kind. To say nothing of LES MISERABLES (Anthony Perkins, 1978).
ONIBABA is making it's BD debut shortly but not Region 1. That is disappointing when there are even newer versions of well worn titles coming out (HALLOWEEN 35TH ANN. EDITION) coming on Blu Ray....which of course I will purchase if there is anything remotely interesting for special features.

Also, the Gary Sinise version of OF MICE AND MEN is going for major bucks on amazon and ebay, and I'm surprised they haven't re-released that one. That's surely d defiue for a BD release.....oh and still, a definitive release of BLACK CHRISTMAS 1974 would be appreciated. Do I smell a 40th anniversary edition? Hard to believe even the most recent interviews with Margot Kidder etc. are now officially "OLD". Yes, the early 2000's, so fresh in the memory, are long gone.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 am

^^^ Hear hear about "Black Christmas" not getting a definite release on home video, one that combines the interviews from one release and the commentary track from the other release.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 am

I love the special feature from the Canadian DVD of Black Christmas...the one with the reverseable cover art... where they return to the sorority house and explore it. Love when they go up in the attic. That doc is probably like 13 years old itself. I'm praying for a 40th anniversary edition.
tucco
County Attorney

Return to Movies