Who else plays portable game consoles exclusively at home?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Who else plays portable game consoles exclusively at home?

Postby alexwagner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 am

Having just purchased a 3DS (Flame Red) which was my first portable since the Game Boy Color I've noticed I basically treat them like home video consoles that I can take around the house. Reading various forums I'm surprised this is so common. I also treat my portable game purchases as I would a home console. This bite sized chunk gameplay is lost on me and sometimes I prefer sitting in my bed with a pair of headphones rather than booting up the 360/PS3. Makes me wonder why I never purchased a PSP as it ended up building a strong software library with lots of games you wouldn't think would suit a portable. I really can't think of any-time I've used a portable the way it was intended...on a long commute, holiday etc
alexwagner
Paralegal

Re: Who else plays portable game consoles exclusively at home?

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 am

The portable is pretty much out of my wheelhouse entirely. I own a few (DSi-XL, PSP, and the iPad), and I definitely use them exclusively in the house. I did once play about 3 hours of Monster Hunter on the PSP in my car during a camping-trip ruining rainstorm - had the sound running through my car's auxiliary jack, it was awesome. When we leave home for a few days, be it hitting a cabin for the weekend or some camping or whatnot, I usually pack one, but it doesn't see much use most of the time.

Now my kids take their DS's everywhere...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 pm

I have a DSi, bought it a year ago, and it's played mostly at home. The only times I've played it out and about are when I'm waiting for my car at the mechanic, or waiting in a long line of some sort like for my book signings. I expect to use it for plane trips, bus rides, or when sent on a work trip, but those are rare and haven't happened in the past year. In the meantime, if there's a good game I'm gonna play it regardless of what system it's on.

It's interesting being an adult with a gaming portable. When you're a kid, you play while your parents drive, or when you're at a function while the adults are mingling. As an adult it's almost a little embarrassing to be that guy with the DSi. But then I look around and see I'm not the only one.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 pm

mavrach wrote:I have a DSi, bought it a year ago, and it's played mostly at home. The only times I've played it out and about are when I'm waiting for my car at the mechanic, or waiting in a long line of some sort like for my book signings. I expect to use it for plane trips, bus rides, or when sent on a work trip, but those are rare and haven't happened in the past year. In the meantime, if there's a good game I'm gonna play it regardless of what system it's on.

It's interesting being an adult with a gaming portable. When you're a kid, you play while your parents drive, or when you're at a function while the adults are mingling. As an adult it's almost a little embarrassing to be that guy with the DSi. But then I look around and see I'm not the only one.

True story; myself and a friend of mine were sitting back having a coffee when a friend of his from highs school walks in wearing his police uniform. We ask him if he wants to join us, he can't he's on his way to babysit a burned down warehouse overnight to make sure no one gets into the yard and takes anything while the insurance guys do their work. We say what comes to mind, something like, "man, that has gotta suck." his reply, "it's cool, I've got my DS with me and I just picked up Spirit Tracks!"

All I could do was laugh, which was when he threatened to arrest me.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
mavrach wrote:I have a DSi, bought it a year ago, and it's played mostly at home. The only times I've played it out and about are when I'm waiting for my car at the mechanic, or waiting in a long line of some sort like for my book signings. I expect to use it for plane trips, bus rides, or when sent on a work trip, but those are rare and haven't happened in the past year. In the meantime, if there's a good game I'm gonna play it regardless of what system it's on.

True story; myself and a friend of mine were sitting back having a coffee when a friend of his from highs school walks in wearing his police uniform. We ask him if he wants to join us, he can't he's on his way to babysit a burned down warehouse overnight to make sure no one gets into the yard and takes anything while the insurance guys do their work. We say what comes to mind, something like, "man, that has gotta suck." his reply, "it's cool, I've got my DS with me and I just picked up Spirit Tracks!"

All I could do was laugh, which was when he threatened to arrest me.

Now that makes me feel better.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby alexwagner » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 am

After making my way through Resident Evil Revelations I haven't been struck with buyers remorse but I realised there's nothing else that I want on the 3DS haha! Oh well into storage :lol:
alexwagner
Paralegal

Postby The Butcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Do iPhone games count? If so, then yes
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:48 pm

The Butcher wrote:Do iPhone games count? If so, then yes

If so, then yes, I play the damn iPad all the time.
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Blast Processing!