They Came From The North

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

They Came From The North

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:51 am

While we wait for our own forum I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone has feedback, questions or requests. Hope you liked the show!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: They Came From The North

Postby mavrach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 am

Loved the first show. I said this to Gabriel on Facebook, but most movie discussions I hear from critics or podcasts surrounds current theatrical releases, but I want to hear more existing movies which are a treasure trove of great movies, instead of finding whatever the "best" current movie is out today. And one of the best ways to discover new films is by going through the filmography of an interesting director.

I keep hearing critics say they got into the business so they see bad movies so we don't have to. I'd really rather have them bring me existing obscure movies rather than dozens of people telling me that Breaking Wind is a bad movie and I shouldn't see that. I can figure that out by myself. But after listening to the Walter Hill podcast, I've got several new movies on my radar. Southern Comfort and The Long Riders especially, I hadn't heard of either but I'll plan to see them soon.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks, Matt! Glad you enjoyed it.

It's a great experience for us as well, since we have to commit to really digging into a single director each week. There have been a number of movies that have hovered on the fringes of my radar that I am now being forced to sit down and watch. I'm sure you know the experience of wanting to see a movie but never quite being in the mood for what you expect it's going to be. I'm learning that, for the most part, any time I force myself to sit down and watch something, a good movie is a good movie, regardless of whether I thought I was "in the mood" or not.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 am

And, yes, watch Southern Comfort and The Long Riders immediately!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:48 am

That's exactly it, just forcing yourself to watch a movie often works out well. I found out the same having recently mining my formerly unwatched DVD pile of 100+ movies. I'd been waiting for some sort of perfect mood for many of them, so when I decided to just dive in, I found some gems that I couldn't beleive I'd been sitting on for so long.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 am

mavrach wrote:That's exactly it, just forcing yourself to watch a movie often works out well. I found out the same having recently mining my formerly unwatched DVD pile of 100+ movies. I'd been waiting for some sort of perfect mood for many of them, so when I decided to just dive in, I found some gems that I couldn't beleive I'd been sitting on for so long.

That's happened to me to, I picked Wild Strawberries at random one night when I couldn't sleep and I loved it even if I was not in the optimum mood. You have to watch Hard Times! So excellent!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:54 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:
mavrach wrote:That's exactly it, just forcing yourself to watch a movie often works out well. I found out the same having recently mining my formerly unwatched DVD pile of 100+ movies. I'd been waiting for some sort of perfect mood for many of them, so when I decided to just dive in, I found some gems that I couldn't beleive I'd been sitting on for so long.

That's happened to me to, I picked Wild Strawberries at random one night when I couldn't sleep and I loved it even if I was not in the optimum mood. You have to watch Hard Times! So excellent!

Hehe, Wild Strawberries was one of the movies in my pile :D

Ok consider Hard Times added as well!
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 am

I'm just gonna basically repeat what I already told the fellas on FB: That was a helluva lot of fun. Great chemistry between Steve, Jon, Andrew and Gabe, and I LOVED the focus on a single director's work. I'll keep tuning in for sure.

Another fine podcast from the good folks at DVD Verdict.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am

When I first cooked up the idea, the biggest reason I wanted to focus on individual directors was precisely so we could dig into one filmmaker's backlog and maybe either discover a newfound appreciation for them (like we did with our most recent episode, which you guys will hear in a few weeks... i think anyway) or otherwise deconstruct someone who may have gotten a little more credit than they deserve.

The other idea was that we would have such contrasting ideas on our "good, bad, and ugly" choices that we could each turn over a different cinematic stone or two for people listening.

I think it's going to work out pretty well - And I hope you guys really enjoy our little ride.

Thanks a bunch for listening, and each and every piece of feedback is appreciated.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:52 am

Steve T Power wrote:When I first cooked up the idea, the biggest reason I wanted to focus on individual directors was precisely so we could dig into one filmmaker's backlog and maybe either discover a newfound appreciation for them (like we did with our most recent episode, which you guys will hear in a few weeks... i think anyway) or otherwise deconstruct someone who may have gotten a little more credit than they deserve.

The other idea was that we would have such contrasting ideas on our "good, bad, and ugly" choices that we could each turn over a different cinematic stone or two for people listening.

I think it's going to work out pretty well - And I hope you guys really enjoy our little ride.

Thanks a bunch for listening, and each and every piece of feedback is appreciated.

Just remember it wa my idea that we should do a podcast in the first place. ;-) While our opinions may differ, I think we're pretty much on the same page. Maybe that'll change with the director I picked for the second to next recording.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:When I first cooked up the idea, the biggest reason I wanted to focus on individual directors was precisely so we could dig into one filmmaker's backlog and maybe either discover a newfound appreciation for them (like we did with our most recent episode, which you guys will hear in a few weeks... i think anyway) or otherwise deconstruct someone who may have gotten a little more credit than they deserve.

Just remember it wa my idea that we should do a podcast in the first place. ;-) While our opinions may differ, I think we're pretty much on the same page. Maybe that'll change with the director I picked for the second to next recording.

Oh, it's all your fault :)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby stypee » Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 am

Many have asked when you are going to have stypee on as a guest from the states. People find him hilarious and he is also a very nice person and a great pal to many people.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri May 25, 2012 2:24 pm

stypee wrote:Many have asked when you are going to have stypee on as a guest from the states. People find him hilarious and he is also a very nice person and a great pal to many people.

Canadians only, sorry!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Fri May 25, 2012 2:35 pm

America could do a fake yawn (as with a date in the theater) and bump the border up a few miles and we'll all be in the same boat.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri May 25, 2012 2:43 pm

mavrach wrote:America could do a fake yawn (as with a date in the theater) and bump the border up a few miles and we'll all be in the same boat.

LOL. You would have to have been born in Canada then, which would also keep us running if Québec ever separates.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Fri May 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
mavrach wrote:America could do a fake yawn (as with a date in the theater) and bump the border up a few miles and we'll all be in the same boat.

LOL. You would have to have been born in Canada then, which would also keep us running if Québec ever separates.

What happens if you go back to Germany? That ain't north. Is Matt going to take over then?
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri May 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

What happens if you go back to Germany? That ain't north. Is Matt going to take over then?

Ich würde dann das Podcast auf Deutsch machen! We'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. The scheduling would really be a headache because it's 6 hours later from here in Berlin. We're supposed to have another canadian as a guest on the show soon. Maybe he could take over if he does well (I'm sure he will, he's a former Verdict judge)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Sat May 26, 2012 3:25 am

Canadians do not understand funny, they only like things like snow and hockey and smell like donuts which is not a bad thing but could be if you're diabetic.

They still need stypee - many have asked and he has turned down their podcasts. These Canadian fools would be silly to turn down such an extraordinary opportunity, not to mention, stypee is one sexy mofo,
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sat May 26, 2012 10:37 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

Ich würde dann das Podcast auf Deutsch machen! We'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. The scheduling would really be a headache because it's 6 hours later from here in Berlin. We're supposed to have another canadian as a guest on the show soon. Maybe he could take over if he does well (I'm sure he will, he's a former Verdict judge)

Five Canadians? Somebody needs to put a stop to this.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat May 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

Five Canadians? Somebody needs to put a stop to this.

Steve is willing to sit it out because Adam apparently REALLY wants to do Cronenberg. Having five of us would probably make the show two hours long...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sat May 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Steve is willing to sit it out because Adam apparently REALLY wants to do Cronenberg. Having five of us would probably make the show two hours long...

Good. I don't really care for Steve.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat May 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Steve is willing to sit it out because Adam apparently REALLY wants to do Cronenberg. Having five of us would probably make the show two hours long...

Good. I don't really care for Steve.

We only endure him because of his symbiotic relation with Mercer.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 pm

:lol:
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:34 pm

mavrach wrote:

:lol:

Try three hours long! :)

But in our defence - it was envisioned as a two-parter.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:36 pm

I know, just messing with you.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 pm

A couple weeks back Steve and I were joking about how long the Ridley episode would be. Now I'm really worried.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:A couple weeks back Steve and I were joking about how long the Ridley episode would be. Now I'm really worried.

I've decided to start a coke habit in preparation.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:59 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:A couple weeks back Steve and I were joking about how long the Ridley episode would be. Now I'm really worried.

Worth a mention: The Ridley episode will be a two parter, and has been postponed a week...

This week's episode is gonna be a surprise! :)
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

Worth a mention: The Ridley episode will be a two parter...

So 500 minutes each?
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

So 500 minutes each?

I'll try to keep it under the runtime of Lawrence of Arabia
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:32 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

So 500 minutes each?

I'll try to keep it under the runtime of Lawrence of Arabia

The trick, Steve T Power, is not minding that it hurts.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Return to Verdict Feedback