Kevin Reynold's Good, Bad and Ugly!

Join Steve, Jon, Gabriel, and Andrew as they deconstruct a new filmmaker's body of work each and every week, as only high-falootin' Canadians can.

Kevin Reynold's Good, Bad and Ugly!

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed May 23, 2012 3:13 am

You've heard or will hear ours, now let's hear yours!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Kevin Reynold's Good, Bad and Ugly!

Postby cdouglas » Wed May 23, 2012 6:48 am

Good: The Count of Monte Cristo - An engaging adaptation and the only one of Reynolds' films I actually have an interest in revisiting at this point (though I haven't seen The Beast of War or Rapa Nui).

Bad: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - A disastrous flick, but not an uninteresting one. The movie certainly perks up whenever Rickman's onscreen.

Ugly: Waterworld - Actually decided to check out the extended cut of this one not long ago as several folks had told me it was an improvement on the original. Ugh. While Robin Hood and The Postman are at least kind of entertaining in their overblown cheesiness, this one's just tedious. Dennis Hopper has a handful of nice moments and there are some interesting ideas, but that wasn't enough to justify sitting through this mess again.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 am

cdouglas wrote:Good: The Count of Monte Cristo - An engaging adaptation and the only one of Reynolds' films I actually have an interest in revisiting at this point (though I haven't seen The Beast of War or Rapa Nui).

Bad: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - A disastrous flick, but not an uninteresting one. The movie certainly perks up whenever Rickman's onscreen.

Ugly: Waterworld - Actually decided to check out the extended cut of this one not long ago as several folks had told me it was an improvement on the original. Ugh. While Robin Hood and The Postman are at least kind of entertaining in their overblown cheesiness, this one's just tedious. Dennis Hopper has a handful of nice moments and there are some interesting ideas, but that wasn't enough to justify sitting through this mess again.

See The Beast Of War ASAP - it's objectively Reynold's best film, I'm sure you'll dig it. As far as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves goes we'll have to agree to disagree, still love that flick. I hope you enjoy the score at the very least.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 am

Another director who I've seen exactly three of their movies. I'm only about 5 minutes into the podcast, but I'll chime in with my picks:

Good: Waterwold - It's far from perfect, but it's a movie that I return to every so often. It's maligned on "worst movies of all time" lists mainly because of its hype at the time and a then-record budget not being worth the final product. And the science is bad, if the ice caps melted the water levels would only affect coastal areas, plus it would actually trigger an ice age. But taken just as a straight action movie, this movie works for me, piss drinking and all. It's a hell of a lot of fun in a dumb flashy action sort of way. It may not be worth the budget, but frankly that's not my problem as the film viewer.

Bad: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - A childhood favorite that didn't really hold up once I grew up. But then as I watched various other Robin Hood movies, I couldn't help but wish those had the defined characters that POT did; most of them seemed to focus on Robin and Marian, while the supporting cast just happened to be recognizable names. And another compliment to Alan Rickman, who at this point I knew as the Sherrif and as Hans Gruber.

Ugly: I'm reluctant to include 187. I saw this in the theaters when I was in high school and was quick to dismiss it as being too bleak, never returned ot it.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby cdouglas » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:
cdouglas wrote:Good: The Count of Monte Cristo - An engaging adaptation and the only one of Reynolds' films I actually have an interest in revisiting at this point (though I haven't seen The Beast of War or Rapa Nui).

See The Beast Of War ASAP - it's objectively Reynold's best film, I'm sure you'll dig it. As far as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves goes we'll have to agree to disagree, still love that flick. I hope you enjoy the score at the very least.

Oh, the score's great. I wish the recording were a little stronger (that one could use a good remastering), but it's tremendously entertaining.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu May 24, 2012 5:14 am

Good: Waterworld-What Mavrach said.

Bad: The Count of Monte Cristo-Comes damn close to being a good movie.

Ugly: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves-Awful. Just awful.

For the record, his best work is the buffalo hunt from Dances with Wolves.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu May 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:Ugly: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves-Awful. Just awful.

You have no soul.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:Ugly: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves-Awful. Just awful.

You have no soul.

Duh. Everybody knows that.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Return to They Came From the North