Lonesome Dove - TV's Best?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Lonesome Dove - TV's Best?

Postby MovieAddict » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

DVR'd AMC HD channel's presentation of Lonesome Dove this weekend and finished watching it last night to celebrate completion of my taxes. Been a few years since I last saw and I forgot how riveting it was. Without a doubt this series is the pinnacle of television drama.

Has anything better been made for TV? If so let me know cause I want to watch it.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Re: Lonesome Dove - TV's Best?

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 pm

MovieAddict wrote:Has anything better been made for TV? If so let me know cause I want to watch it.

Lonesome Dove is one of the few screen adaptations that I think is every bit as good as the novel itself. Here's another: Anne of Green Gables.

Yes, it's based on book for children -- girls, particularly -- but please try not to let that put you off. It's gorgeously produced and hugely entertaining. Megan Follows, Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth are perfectly cast, and the location shooting is at times breathtaking. This is a terrific example of family entertainment.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am

Bryan Pope wrote:
MovieAddict wrote:Has anything better been made for TV? If so let me know cause I want to watch it.

Lonesome Dove is one of the few screen adaptations that I think is every bit as good as the novel itself. Here's another: Anne of Green Gables.

Yes, it's based on book for children -- girls, particularly -- but please try not to let that put you off. It's gorgeously produced and hugely entertaining. Megan Follows, Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth are perfectly cast, and the location shooting is at times breathtaking. This is a terrific example of family entertainment.

It's also unabashedly Canadian... like CBC late '80s/early '90s Canadian...

Next you'll be pumping Road to Avonlea :)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Shogun and Pride and Prejudice (1995) are tops in my book.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 pm

huh? :o
i will see your horse opera and raise you

the Wire.....and Band of Brothers
that's riveting with real rivets
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 am

molly1216 wrote:Band of Brothers

Lonesome Dove is great, but Band of Brothers is definitely better...as is The Pacific and From the Earth to the Moon.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Thu May 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

Lonesome Dove is great, but Band of Brothers is definitely better...as is The Pacific and From the Earth to the Moon.

I raise you one The Langoliers
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

Apples,Oranges;Tomato,Tomatoe-All great stuff! My one beef here is why isn't FtEttM on Blu-ray yet? :?
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Return to Television