Smokey and the Bandit

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Smokey and the Bandit

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:37 am

Judge Stailey!

I applaud you for not taking the road more travelled and digging a smug little hole in which to bury this gem of a flick!

Reynolds, Gleeson and Reed were all fantastic! I must have gone through about 12 Ertl models of that Trans Am, and i'd take "Frog" 10 times out of 10 over Slave Leia...

Smokey and the Bandit is just one of those flicks I loved as a kid, and I can still love unequivocally as an adult...

Now give me a Diablo Sandwich and a Dr. Pepper and make it fast, i'm in a goddamn hurry!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Smokey and the Bandit

Postby Movie Mike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Hadn't seen Smokey and the Bandit in ages and was very happy to find out it is still a damn fun movie, the cast is great and the stunts are a blast. It hasn't lost any of it's charm.

Sadly after watching this I picked up the Bluray of The Cannonball Run and found out that time has not been as kind to that cinematic mess. The humor veers from corny to out and out lame, and the only fun character in the whole movie is Dom Deluise as this sweet guy with a split personality who without warning can turn into the heroic Captain Chaos! Also the film loses major points for the complete waste of Jackie Chan. He spends almost the entire film just sitting in the car with only one fight at the end where he beats up Peter Fonda and some bikers. Lame.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Movie Mike wrote:Hadn't seen Smokey and the Bandit in ages and was very happy to find out it is still a damn fun movie, the cast is great and the stunts are a blast. It hasn't lost any of it's charm.

Sadly after watching this I picked up the Bluray of The Cannonball Run and found out that time has not been as kind to that cinematic mess. The humor veers from corny to out and out lame, and the only fun character in the whole movie is Dom Deluise as this sweet guy with a split personality who without warning can turn into the heroic Captain Chaos! Also the film loses major points for the complete waste of Jackie Chan. He spends almost the entire film just sitting in the car with only one fight at the end where he beats up Peter Fonda and some bikers. Lame.

I watched Cannonball Run a few weekends back, and I have to say, I found it absolutely ridiculous and enjoyed every minute... Granted, it was no Smokey and the Bandit...

Also.. I'm a crazy person...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Michael Stailey » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm

My pleasure, Steve! I'm currently writing reviews for both Cannonball and Deliverance. And if they ever release Hooper and Stroker Ace on Blu-ray, I'll review those too!

Michael
Michael Stailey
Chief Justice

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19 am

Michael Stailey wrote:My pleasure, Steve! I'm currently writing reviews for both Cannonball and Deliverance. And if they ever release Hooper and Stroker Ace on Blu-ray, I'll review those too!

Michael

Stroker Ace needs a widescreen transfer :)

Looking forward to Cannonball and Deliverance. Rather shocked at how good Deliverance actually was, given all the parodies and satire... the Blu-Ray was also real purdy.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby IChiWawa » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am

Steve T Power wrote:Stroker Ace needs a widescreen transfer :)

Don't really remember much about SA 'cept for the scene with Jim Nabors and Elvira which is awesome.

Didn't see a review for White Lightning nor it's less effective sequel Gator - but both pretty decent.
IChiWawa
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

You can only choose one, Gumball Rally or Cannonball Run?

This is a tough call on my part. Gumball plays it a little straighter (a little at least) but Cannonball is just out there. However Cannonball is so far out there that it misses a bit as well. I think it was Gene Siskel (could have been Ebert) who used the term "machine gun comedy". You toss out so many jokes that you don't care if they all hit.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback