Before Sunrise or Before Sunset - which do you prefer?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Before Sunrise or Before Sunset - which do you prefer?

Postby Kevin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 pm

If you had to pick one, which one would you pick and why?

For myself, I think I would pick Before Sunrise because it's a little more pure and 'fairy-tale' like where the Jesse-Celine romance is being developed rather than the rather grounded Before Sunset which sheds Before Sunrise's escapism and deals with the aftermath of Before Sunrise.

By the way, I don't see a review for either of these movies?
Kevin
City Attorney

Re: Before Sunrise or Before Sunset - which do you prefer?

Postby mavrach » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Before Sunrise, I can't see any reason to pick the other. This set up a perfect love story and built two characters who were seemingly going to end up together. It pressed buttons for me that most others fail to do, and I'm sick of seeing forced love stories in general in movies. This was plain perfect.

SPOILERS:

Sunset ruined everything. Not only did they miss their intended meeting, their lives were essentially ruined by having to settle for other people while secretly yearning for each other.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby azul017 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:37 am

mavrach wrote:
Sunset ruined everything. Not only did they miss their intended meeting, their lives were essentially ruined by having to settle for other people while secretly yearning for each other.

I hear Linklater and Julie Delpy are working on a script for a third "Before..." movie, and I hope they recapture that magic of the first. I didn't have the same problems like mavrach did with Before Sunset, but it felt threadbare and a bit aimless. Before Sunrise was a perfectly crafted little indie film -- while Sunset wasn't made for financial reasons, it could've done with a few more rewrites. It wasn't bad, just didn't have that magic of the first film.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 am

Before Sunrise no question. It was my favorite ''romantic'' film until I saw Ball Of Fire and it's the movie that made me dream about going to Vienna+ got me into my German studies. Going to visit the city in a little more than a month with a Viennese girl I met in Berlin. ;-)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Apparently, Linklater, Hawke and Delpy have already shot the third film, entitled Before Midnight, quietly in Messinia, Greece. They actually wrapped the film yesterday night, and there's an official still to boot.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/toronto ... al-begins/
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies